Travel Any non-alcoholic drinks that are special to France to bring back to US as gift?

PixieGirl

Nov 13, 2007
I am looking for any specialty drinks from France to bring back to the US for a gift. I will bring back wines for my family but some of my family does not drink so I also need a wine alternative. Any ideas?

I'd suggest tea then.
Check out the Mariage Freres boutique and the Palace du The boutique in the Marais district. They are quite close to each other.
Personally, I prefer Palace du The. There are usually urns set up so that you can taste some tea.

I thought about items that are not drinks but if possible I wanted to keep it a drink as its a food basket of sorts so it will already have various foods and chocolates eventually. So far with French wine, Italian pasta spices, I will throw in some French macaroons, probably some Baklava from Turkey and if we make it to Spain and Germany before Christmas some kind of item from there. I needed one bottle of something so it wouldn't throw off the balance of the basket so it would look similar to all the other ones but I guess in the end I may have to give that idea up.... although maybe as a joke type thing I could bring back a "French" bottle of Coke and say its French since it is bottled in the tall one liter bottles they have here.

Sirop Teisseire !! I grew up with that. Mix it with water or fizzy lemonade
http://www.saveurdujour.com/teisseire-syrup-orange-p-840.html
...so many flavours to choose.

Too funny! I never thought of those Syrup's as being a french thing. We have 4 different flavors in our fridge right now for mixing drinks and whatnot! Although I have to say, the menthe is a little too artificial and scary looking. I finally convinced my SO to pour it down the drain!

You should try Schweppes Agrum' !
I don't think I've ever seen some anywhere in the U.S.
Like Orangina it's a fruity soda, but taste different ;)

Les sirops Teisseire are also a very good idea :smile:

If you go into a little French cafe or (l'epicerie)- Grocery store/le supermarche you can find some nice bottled non-alcoholic sparkling soda drinks which are quite lovely. French soap, chocolate, French candies, perfumes, handmade scented candles, art. There are many things if you can't find anything like some kind of non-alcoholic beverage.

Bring back a bottle or two of grape juice from a vineyard.

It's the best grape juice you have ever had in your life!

I used to drink fabulous grape juice from the Wine Country of California when I lived near Chez Panisse. It was our neighborhood "pub."

Beverages and glass are heavy. I suggest having them shipped back home.