Asian Makeup Styles

lucydoe

O.G.
Sep 17, 2008
I generally find that the Asian makeup styles are different from American/european styles. when i read korean or japanese magazines, i'm always blown away by the beautiful make up but when i goto the makeup counter here in the States, i find that it's extremely, well impossible, to duplicate such looks. the makeup artists are very good in their own way, but can not duplicate the eye make up. even when i consult the asian makeup artist at the counter, they are usually trained here so that they are not knowledgeable.

i also find asian makeup to use different colors, seemingly that clash with Asian skin ,very well. the use of colors are innovative and unexpected. I looked on youtube.com and found jungsaemmool. she is a top makearist in korea who give tutorials. too bad the text is in korean but all the makeup she uses are bb, shu uemera, mac and others that can easily be found here in the states sides.

asian women, do you find that makeup in the States understand your beauty?

btw, i when i went to shu uemura counter, i realized that they don't carry all the products in the US. for example, the deep see makeup base mousse comes in pink and blue undertones in Asia but they don't carry that here.

Last edited:
I generally find that the Asian makeup styles are different from American/european styles. when i read korean or japanese magazines, i'm always blown away by the beautiful make up but when i goto the makeup counter here in the States, i find that it's extremely, well impossible, to duplicate such looks. the makeup artists are very good in their own way, but can not duplicate the eye make up. even when i consult the asian makeup artist at the counter, they are usually trained here so that they are not knowledgeable.

i also find asian makeup to use different colors, seemingly that clash with Asian skin ,very well. the use of colors are innovative and unexpected. I looked on youtube.com and found jungsaemmool. she is a top makearist in korea who give tutorials. too bad the text is in korean but all the makeup she uses are bb, shu uemera, mac and others that can easily be found here in the states sides.

asian women, do you find that makeup in the States understand your beauty?

btw, i when i went to shu uemura counter, i realized that they don't carry all the products in the US. for example, the deep see makeup base mousse comes in pink and blue undertones in Asia but they don't carry that here.

i am rarely satisfied with makeup applications by the artists in america... they just don't understand the look. instead, they prefer to contour etc. which is fine in its own way.

if you would like to learn the asian style, then pick up some asian beauty magazines, they also have tutorials with the latest colors/trends

I definitely feel like the magazines, makeup artists, and online how-to's (except YouTube) really don't consider the asian eye structure. I had to do a lot of experimentation on my own and go to YouTube to try to recreate some of the looks on there. It took a lot of ugly results and practice to really discover how to work my eye shape! :smile:

I don't have as much of a double crease or as deep-set eyes as some of the models on jungsaemmool's channel on YouTube. But I do have a bit of a crease. I was doing smokey eyes forEVER because I felt that was the only thing I could do. But then I got a set of MAC brushes just for fun one day and went nuts experimenting. The tapered blending brush 224, the pencil brush 219, the shading brush 239, and the eyeliner brush 209 are my BEST eye makeup friends! :smile:

I don't have time to go into a full tutorial right now, but today I did a smoky eye look this way: after using MAC Paint to prime, I used the shading brush to put a layer of Ricepaper all over the lid all the way up to my brow. Then using the blender brush, I blended a really light brown (almost skin color) over the lid up to where there would be a crease, and made sure the light brown faded into the Ricepaper color at the browbone. Then I used the pencil brush and applied a shimmery dark brown onto my lid from my lashline to just up to my crease and juust a little above the crease. I make sure to pack a little more into the corners of the lids. it's okay if this looks a little messy because that's where the blender brush comes in again! I dipped my blender brush with a light swirl into the same dark brown color, and blended the lid color so that it made a really smooth nice gradient from darkest at the eyeline to fade into the light brown color above. Again, I would swirl into the palette with the blending brush and gently make the corners of my eyes darker, but making sure to blend so there's no harsh lines.

Then, when all the shadow looks right, I take the eyeliner brush and MAC Fluidline in black and do a nice clean line as close to the top and bottom lashline as possible. What really completes the look is using Fluidline in Blacktrack and creating an "eyeliner wing" that extends out the corners of the eyelids.

I feel like if anything, Asians can definitely wing out their eyeliners without it looking overly dramatic. In fact, it complements our eye shape more than anything!

Anyway, I went on way longer than I expected. Hope this wasn't confusing!

Last edited:
i am rarely satisfied with makeup applications by the artists in america... they just don't understand the look. instead, they prefer to contour etc. which is fine in its own way.

if you would like to learn the asian style, then pick up some asian beauty magazines, they also have tutorials with the latest colors/trends

I totally agree! You can usually find a step-by-step breakdown of how to apply makeup (eyes, flawless face, blush, etc.) in Japanese magazines like Vivi and Can Cam. They show before and after photos as well as detailed photos of each step.

Some brands sell different products in the US vs. Asia. Estee Lauder makes this whitening makeup primer with high SPF but it's only available for purchase in Asia.