Should I ask for partial refund?

I think if you want to email and try to ask for a partial refund you can, but like other people said here, it could be too late,after you already left feedback. It might also seem a bit confusing to the seller as you were happy and now you are not.
From looking at the auction it does to me look like there is damage on the two bottom corners, even without close up pictures. For me when I see any thing in auction pictures that looks a bit off I always ask for more and if the seller doesn't send them I don't bid.
I think you should just put it down to a lesson learned and move on, you can try to email the seller, but I think unless they are super nice it will be a long shot to get any money back from them after feedback is left.

I don't think it matters that OP has left feedback. The seller might be able to bring it up as a defense in a Paypal dispute, but as we all know Paypal will likely refund OP's money for a SNAD claim. However, you say you don't want to return it for a full refund... If the seller refuses to do a partial refund, maybe file an SNAD claim and ask only for a partial refund? I've never tried it, but it could work.

If they refuse, I also would suggest to leave a follow-up to your positive comment about the condition of the bag. At least other buyers will be warned of the seller's dishonesty.

Also, to the OP: the reason you're not getting symathetic comments is because this is the eBay forum, filled with sellers who sympathize only with your seller. I've only sold occasionally, so I understand them, but I have gotten my fair share of SNAD bags, trust me! I generally shy away from eBay now because of it, lol!

From looking at the auction it does to me look like there is damage on the two bottom corners, even without close up pictures. For me when I see any thing in auction pictures that looks a bit off I always ask for more and if the seller doesn't send them I don't bid.

OP said that the seller DID respond to the questions and DID get one picture of the corner sent... the seller just lied in the response & only sent a picture of the "best" corner.

It doesn't matter whether the bag is vintage, or not.

'Vintage' refers to the age of the item, not to the extent of the wear/damage it may have incurred.

After all, some vintage items have never been used, so they are technically BNWT, in mint condition and vintage simultaneously.

The seller should have mentioned any wear/damage in the description and should, definitely, have been honest when asked directly.

You bought the clutch for the price you paid based on the information you received, which has now been proved to be incorrect; so, you overpaid.

If the wear/damage is fairly serious, I'd ask for a 20% partial refund, if I were you. If you feel it's not so serious, perhaps 10% - 15%?

If the seller won't partially refund (which is her prerogative [and which she may not do, as you have already left her a positive, so she may feel she has nothing to lose]), you will then have to decide whether you definitely want to keep the bag for the price you paid, or whether you'd prefer a full refund (which she does have to provide, as the item is SNAD).

As kells says, perhaps leave a note under your fb?

Last edited:
It might also seem a bit confusing to the seller as you were happy and now you are not.

I doubt she'll be confused - assuming what we are being told is the truth (which we, basically, have to assume, otherwise what's the point in answering questions at all?!) she must know she's lied or, at least, concealed the truth.

I think she'll just think the OP can't have inspected the bag properly when it first arrived.

As a buyer, either I want the item in the condition it is in, or I don't want it at all. A few dollar refund won't make me like something I feel is in poor condition. JMHO

Well, that's you, but some people are more flexible - assuming they feel they have paid a fair price for the actual condition of the item. :smile:

If buyers are looking for flawless bags, then I always suggest Neiman, Saxs, Macys or any of the other fine stores selling designer bags. But if one is willing to sacrifice bit of perfection for a bargain, then ebay will suit them just fine.

There's nothing wrong with selling less than perfect bags - sellers just have to be honest about the fact that they are less than perfect, that's all. :smile:

...and if they're not, they have to accept the fact that they will encounter complaints, from time to time.

It's the NEW buyer SCAM on ebay! This crap has been going on for months.

You are either happy with your purchase or you are NOT.

Send it back...or KEEP IT.

If you are not happy...open a dispute.

I am NOT A SELLER. I just have common sense.

:tdown:

Last edited:
Also, to the OP: the reason you're not getting symathetic comments is because this is the eBay forum, filled with sellers who sympathize only with your seller. I've only sold occasionally, so I understand them, but I have gotten my fair share of SNAD bags, trust me! I generally shy away from eBay now because of it, lol!

This is SO far from the truth.
I have stated in many posts that I don't sell at all and I myself am weary of eBay. Without question eBay has its problems, however, I also like to think that I am pretty objective. I have no loyalty to eBay sellers or to other buyers, I simply feel that in this situation the OP doesn't have much of a case.

It's the NEW buyer SCAM on ebay!

It may well be, but the OLD seller SCAM is intentionally selling SNAD items, in the hope that not many people know how to get a refund. :biggrin:

If it is the new buyer scam, it's not much of one, is it? As sellers don't have to partially refund, if they don't want to.

I do realise, though, that buyers can now hold negative fb over sellers' heads (without fear of retaliation) and ITA that that doesn't seem fair, at all.

However, the reason that was introduced, was because so many sellers were using fear of retaliatory fb as a way of avoiding receiving deserved negs.

Basically, the bad eBay sellers have ruined it for all the good ones. :sad:

Last edited:
It's the NEW buyer SCAM on ebay! This crap has been going on for months.

You are either happy with your purchase or you are NOT.

Send it back...or KEEP IT.

If you are not happy...open a dispute.

I am NOT A SELLER. I just have common sense.

:tdown:

I agree with this sentiment. To me, when I'm selling, if someone asked for a "partial refund" because of x, y, z, and that was their first contact with me about a problem, I think they are now trying to get the item for a better price than they bid. Not that they really have a problem, but that NOW they are trying to renegotiate the deal, after having outbid others to get their hands on the item and then turning around and (in effect) CHANGING their bid.

On the other hand, if someone e-mails and says "Gee the item had a funny smell when it arrived, just thought you should know", I'm prepared to (for example) cover the cost of drycleaning (if that is cheaper than paying return postage) and will offer "You can return the item for a full refund, or I can refund you $xx for drycleaning. Which do you prefer?" However, if the first contact about their "displeasure" is "I want a partial refund of $20 because the item had a funny smell" I totally think they just want to reduce their cost of acquisition.

As a buyer, if I receive something that is not in the condition it was described, no "partial refund" is going to improve my happiness with the transaction. So either I accept it for what it is, or return it for a refund due to the undisclosed flaws.

I agree with this sentiment. To me, when I'm selling, if someone asked for a "partial refund" because of x, y, z, and that was their first contact with me about a problem, I think they are now trying to get the item for a better price than they bid. Not that they really have a problem, but that NOW they are trying to renegotiate the deal, after having outbid others to get their hands on the item and then turning around and (in effect) CHANGING their bid.

On the other hand, if someone e-mails and says "Gee the item had a funny smell when it arrived, just thought you should know", I'm prepared to (for example) cover the cost of drycleaning (if that is cheaper than paying return postage) and will offer "You can return the item for a full refund, or I can refund you $xx for drycleaning. Which do you prefer?" However, if the first contact about their "displeasure" is "I want a partial refund of $20 because the item had a funny smell" I totally think they just want to reduce their cost of acquisition.

As a buyer, if I receive something that is not in the condition it was described, no "partial refund" is going to improve my happiness with the transaction. So either I accept it for what it is, or return it for a refund due to the undisclosed flaws.
I agree with this. I have YET to ask for a partial refund because I don't think it's fair to sellers, at that point the seller should just offer to take my return and sell it to the next buyer at that cost!

^ No, that's not the case, at all. :nogood:

But I think it's a very common misconception, especially amongst newer eBayers. :yes:

I've been using ebay for like, a year... I guess that makes me a newer eBayer... :P

but still. for me, if the item isn't that costly, I don't wanna hassle with paypal/ebay claims and all that stress. lol I'm sure the buyer assuming risk idea isn't an option for the more expensive things, like Gucci or Louis Vuitton of course. :smile:

But still, the seller these days (particularily me) is like on their toes throughout the entire transaction. Like, "is the buyer gonna be happy?" "I should probably expect to get a paypal claim any day now..." Even if the seller does everything right- and the item is as described, and shipping was done in a timely mannor, communication was excellent, ect, you never know if the buyer will be 100% happy. Feedback is like the way the seller knows it went well, and he/she can breathe again. :lol: I don't think it would be fair to ask for a partial refund AFTER feedback has been left, the more I think about it.