Do you get offended when people ask if your bag is real?

crazyboutcoach

Iced Lemonade
O.G.
Jul 5, 2009
(I did a search & could'nt find a thread like this.) I'm not quite sure what to think when people ask me this. I live in an area where real designer bags are rare & fakes are everywhere & so I feel kinda' special when I'm out & about with a real one on my arm. When people ask me if my bag is real I don't really get offended because I feel that my bag is getting noticed & I'm proud to tell them yes, it is. Whether they beleive it or not is beyond my control & I just take pride in knowng that my bag is real. I was wondering if any of you had this experience & what do you think & feel about it. Do you think it's rude when people ask this?

I'm kind of like you, I don't really mind people asking me if my bag is real. And I do take pride in telling people that they are real. That being said, I still think is quite rude of them to ask.

Yeah, I suppose it is kinda rude. Maybe I don't think it's as rude when they are just genuinley curious & compliment me on my bag. It's sad that there are websites that sell fakes as real & don't tell u they are fakes unless you e-mail & ask them (& even then they may lie). It's terrible that are fakes that are so much like the real thing at 1st glance & even go as far as to have the "designers" name on the hardware of the bag & therefore compelling people to ask if your bag is real or not in the 1st place. I wish the production of fakes would be shut-down once & for all!

Last edited:
as i buy all my bags etc for my own pleasure i really could not care less if someone asks me if my bags are real...
BUT as mentioned before, whoever does ask is rude and sad. honestly :rant:

swanky mama,
that is the best. i was asked once while working as an SA toting around my white birkin. needless to say i never thought the same of my coworkers who asked me its authenticity... beurk

I think if the person asks, then they are very impolite. It does bug me, because that means they're immediately coming to the conclusion it's a fake in their head, but ask just to be sure or to see if you're lying. Ick.

it annoyed me a lot in one occassion when everyone was complimenting a co-worker of her (obviously fake) chloe paddy and then the woman that was making the most noise turn to me (i had my brun paddy with me) and went: "yours is fake isn't it?" i just sort of smile and ignored the comment...but i thought it was quite rude. (i know i sound quite *****y by saying "obviously fake" but the bag was a fake).
in a sense i do prefer when people don't say anything, it sounds strange but i prefer to go under the radar with my bags!

Last edited:
it annoyed me a lot in one occassion when everyone was complimenting a co-worker of her (obviously fake) chloe paddy and then the woman that was making the most noise turn to me (i had my brun paddy with me) and went: "yours is fake isn't it?" i just sort of smile and ignored the comment...but i thought it was quite rude. (i know i sound quite *****y by saying "obviously fake" but the bag was a fake).
in a sense i do prefer when people don't say anything, it sounds strange but i prefer to go under the radar with my bags!

Oh I don't think u sound *****y at all! If it were me & that woman said "yours is fake isn't it?" I would have replied (as politley as possible) No maa'm it is'nt would you like to see the receipt? & That would let her know that what she said was rude & innapropriate without biting her head off! :P (which I would've been tempted to do, he-hee)!

I think if the person asks, then they are very impolite. It does bug me, because that means they're immediately coming to the conclusion it's a fake in their head, but ask just to be sure or to see if you're lying. Ick.

Yeah, I can definitley see your point here, It's sometimes very obvious that someone is trying to be snarky (it's because they're jealous) but there are some who aren't really experienced in telling real from fake yet & assume that everyone's is real & that may be the reason they ask. Not everyone who asks that may be "out to get you", so to speak. I've felt like asking a time or 2 myself (but never have) especially since fakes are becoming harder to spot. It makes me so sick! I just want to pass out copies of Harper's Bazaar's campaign of "WHY FAKES ARE NEVER IN FASHION".

Last edited:
I think it's rude to ask... and I don't know why people care if someone else's bag is fake or not. Once I opened my LV wallet to pay for something and a co-worker of mine looked inside and said "It's not fake?!", which basically meant that she assumed it was fake until she happened to catch a glimpse at the inside. That was weird... weirder than someone just asking me straight out.