Does trimming your eyebrows make it grow thicker?

Just like hair anywhere else, just trimming or shaving cannot make your hair grow back thicker, coarser or whatever other old wives tales are out there. Your hair grows from the follicle inside your skin only. So, trimming your eyebrows on the outside is going to have ZERO effect on your hair follicles. What it DOES do, is due to the fact you are cutting your brows to a blunt end, it may make them LOOK a tiny bit fuller, but you are not going to really make them thicker or fuller just by cutting.

Just like hair anywhere else, just trimming or shaving cannot make your hair grow back thicker, coarser or whatever other old wives tales are out there. Your hair grows from the follicle inside your skin only. So, trimming your eyebrows on the outside is going to have ZERO effect on your hair follicles. What it DOES do, is due to the fact you are cutting your brows to a blunt end, it may make them LOOK a tiny bit fuller, but you are not going to really make them thicker or fuller just by cutting.

That makes sense and I should know this, but when I wax my legs the hairs are very thin. However, when I shave they become noticeably thicker in the hair width.

That makes sense and I should know this, but when I wax my legs the hairs are very thin. However, when I shave they become noticeably thicker in the hair width.

When you wax, you're effectively ripping out the hair by it's root. Thereby any new growth of hair, is essentially a new strand of hair. When you shave, you're just slicing off what is on the surface.

(Think of a plant growing in soil. When you take it out of the soil, like a carrot...any new plants that grow are "new" carrots. But if you were to slice off what is on the top, the growth on the top is from the existing plant/carrot.

that hair isn't thicker, the tips are blunt when shaven - just like if you trim your eyebrows :yes:
You can't really compare that to pulling hair out of a follicle, thus likely traumatizing the follicle which is what causes hairs to grow back in finer and eventually stop growing back in.

That said, I think a lot more people need to trim their eyebrows :biggrin:
I trim mine a lot, it's a part of my grooming, when I tweeze or go have mine done.

I feel like shaving makes hair grow faster...

At least for my underarms, I started shaving them about 8 years ago... and now I almost have to shave twice a day because its grows too fast :sad:!

Sorry for the TMI!

I agree. No amount of trimming or shaving can make a hair grow thicker. The blunt end creates the illusion that it is thicker. When a hair is waxed, it grows new from the follicle, so the end will be thin and wispy. If that same hair is shaved, the end is cut blunt, and it appears to be thicker because it no longer has a tapered end. It is similar to a baby having very wispy hair when it is born, and the hair appearing thicker after it has been cut. The hair didn't change during the 20 minutes it took to cut it; the blunt end made it appear fuller instead of wispy.

Agreed with the rest of the posters. In fact, I wish someone had told me this when I was in junior high-- I ended up trimming my eyelashes because I heard they'd grow in thicker.

...They didn't. Ugh, I still shudder when I think about it.