Is it true that most keychains (particularily Coach) sold on ebay are... FAKE?!

Feb 2, 2009
I read somewhere that almost all keychains, particularily the Coach ones on ebay are fake!! :sad: Does anyone have any experiences in buying Coach keychains (or any kind for that matter) on ebay??

Can anyone share any tips on what to look for in a good, AUTHENTIC, designer keychain?? Maybe they would be helpful for other people, not just me.

I did search for this topic, but I can't seem to find anything. :shucks:

The percentage of fakes used to be close to 90 percent for a while until Ebay started cracking down and removing listings and sellers. Right now I'd guess the percentage can vary between 10 and 20 percent.

There are no easy "rules" that can tell when something's fake, some fake keychains are so close in detail that it takes an expert to tell. As for the other details, those of us who authenticate DON'T make those details public because we're not about to tell the counterfeiters what they're doing wrong so they can correct their mistakes.

If you need Coach keychains authenticated, post the information requested in the very first post at the COACH SHOPPING / AUTHENTICATE THIS COACH THREAD (be sure to go to the LAST PAGE to post your question!) and you'll get an answer.

Hyacinth and the other Coach ladies who authenticate are excellent and gracious helping with buyers questions about Coach keychains and fobs. I've bought a couple on eBay but only after checking with them and I've been happy.

The percentage of fakes used to be close to 90 percent for a while until Ebay started cracking down and removing listings and sellers. Right now I'd guess the percentage can vary between 10 and 20 percent.

There are no easy "rules" that can tell when something's fake, some fake keychains are so close in detail that it takes an expert to tell. As for the other details, those of us who authenticate DON'T make those details public because we're not about to tell the counterfeiters what they're doing wrong so they can correct their mistakes.

If you need Coach keychains authenticated, post the information requested in the very first post at the COACH SHOPPING / AUTHENTICATE THIS COACH THREAD (be sure to go to the LAST PAGE to post your question!) and you'll get an answer.

:tup:
Hyacinth is the best!

that is a good point about telling counterfeiters what they are doing wrong... lol but no matter what they learn, their icky fake junk is nowhere near as good as the real deal. (:

i did not know this about the coach keychains!!!:amazed: i was looking at one from a few different sellers that caught my eye. thanks Hyacinth - i will make sure to post about one before going ahead with the purchase!!

It's not just Coach items that can be fake. Many of the other brands suffer from these horrible fakes. You should definately post the link in the authentication thread under the correct brands to be sure

Yes, it is true. I purchased a Coach Purse Charm a couple of years ago and never used it. Before listing I posted photos on the Clothing, Shoes & Accessories Discussion Board. It was authenticated by two of the Coach gurus so I had no qualms about listing.

Take a look at that Discussion Board sometime, you'd be amazed at the number of fake Coach listings mentioned.

All these fakes make me very weary about buying them on ebay. I mean, that price + shipping, I might as well walk into the store and buy the thing- and have no doubt that it's authentic. haha

I think there's a possibility anything could be fake, but to take one particular sort of item from one particular brand and say that almost all of them on ebay are fakes is wrong. I just had a Coach keyring up for auction (already done and not being listed again, so no conflict of interest here!) and it's completely authentic. It's always best to get an item authenticated if you have any doubt at all, rather than just making broad assumptions!

^ definitely. It's just sad, cuz there are soo many I like, and I'm scared cuz someone told me that almost all keychains are faked-- that the sellers just buy them in bulk from tradekey or ioffer and sell them as authentic.

It just kinda astonishes me as well that people actually fake keychains. I mean, c'mon. lol KEYCHAINS. but, whatever makes them money I guess. :shrugs:

that is a good point about telling counterfeiters what they are doing wrong... lol but no matter what they learn, their icky fake junk is nowhere near as good as the real deal. (:

Some of the latest keychain fakes I've seen are pretty accurate, at least in photos. If it weren't for one or two tiny details it would be really hard to tell the difference. Just like bags, there are the obvious cheap fakes in the wrong colors and there are the AAA fakes that could fool most buyers.

The photo libraries posted here at tPF are a huge help in telling real from fake - a BIG thank you to everyone who takes the time to take good clear close-ups of their genuine keychains and purse charms (and everything else!) and posts them in the various Reference Library threads! Once in a great while a fake may creep in, usually something someone's bought on Ebay, but those photos of the genuine items are a great resource. So when you're posting your new finds or reveals, add a pic or two to the Reference thread too if that same item hasn't already been posted.

Some of the latest keychain fakes I've seen are pretty accurate, at least in photos. If it weren't for one or two tiny details it would be really hard to tell the difference. Just like bags, there are the obvious cheap fakes in the wrong colors and there are the AAA fakes that could fool most buyers.

The photo libraries posted here at tPF are a huge help in telling real from fake - a BIG thank you to everyone who takes the time to take good clear close-ups of their genuine keychains and purse charms (and everything else!) and posts them in the various Reference Library threads! Once in a great while a fake may creep in, usually something someone's bought on Ebay, but those photos of the genuine items are a great resource. So when you're posting your new finds or reveals, add a pic or two to the Reference thread too if that same item hasn't already been posted.

oh sweet, I didn't know about thath thread! Thanks! :yahoo: