Fading on magenta Ergo?

BattahZ

Jul 12, 2009
Hi all! I'm relatively new to TPF, and this is my first post on the Coach forum. I bought a magenta Ergo (I guess it's the pleated one, with the gold snaps in the middle) at an outlet a few months ago. It's gorgeous, but the leather color started fading pretty quickly. I've had to stop carrying it lately, since it's been rainy here and the rain doesn't help at all.

At the Coach store, they told me the leather on the Ergos doesn't need leather conditioner, and it's supposed to wear like that. But it seems like it's fading a bit too fast. Any suggestions for leather care, and maybe treatment?

Thanks!

The Apple Conditioner works on most of my bags and you can get it on line. But if you just purchased the bag and it is going downhill fast see if you can exchange it or get a credit...

That line is distressed leather, so it's kinda worn-in looking already.
Are you sure the color differentiation wasn't there when you purchased it?
It's not a "flat" all-over color to begin with.

I'll check out the Apple conditioner. I have Coach conditioner, but at the store they told me not to use it on this particular bag.

The color wasn't totally "flat" when I got it, but it's wearing along the insides of the straps pretty quickly (turning grayish/whitish) and along the edges. It just kinda looks like the color is rubbing off, though I would assume the dye would be more saturated and it wouldn't come off so quickly. The color actually rubbed off on me a bit when it was new (esp if I had sunscreen on my arms and carried it on my arm).

I'll check out the Apple conditioner. I have Coach conditioner, but at the store they told me not to use it on this particular bag.

The color wasn't totally "flat" when I got it, but it's wearing along the insides of the straps pretty quickly (turning grayish/whitish) and along the edges. It just kinda looks like the color is rubbing off, though I would assume the dye would be more saturated and it wouldn't come off so quickly. The color actually rubbed off on me a bit when it was new (esp if I had sunscreen on my arms and carried it on my arm).
That sounds like a defect in the treatment of the leather honestly.. and would be replaced by coach but I don't know that they would have any of these in stock to replace it with...

Thanks for the response - I usually get black bags, so this is my first foray into brightly-colored leather and I wasn't sure how it would behave. I'll take it in to the store with me next time I go to see what they suggest.

I honestly don't know WHY Coach even MAKES a leather conditioner!! LOL

I've bought MANY all leather Coach bags, and each and every carecard has directed me NOT to use their product on their bags! It kinda cracks me up!! LMAO

OP~ Do you have a Coach BOUTIQUE (full price store) that you can take it to??? I've got less then desirable responses from my outlet SA's regarding the wear of bags. They told me Gigi's handles will roll no matter what, but I had the Gigi in there the week prior and the SA didn't even know what bag she was!!! I kinda took it that they were just telling me what would make me "go away" quickly! I feel it would have been better addressed at a boutique!!!

PS~ I purchased Gigi from a lovely TpF member (not thru TpF though) I know she had been carried VERY FEW times, and I had carried her maybe 10 times GENTLY!!!!

Yeah there are a couple of Coach stores around here that I could take it to. Maybe I'll make the trip this weekend. The last time I was up there I had the bag with me and got the advice about not using the leather conditioner, but the SA got that information by calling their customer service line. I can try again with a different SA!

I honestly don't know WHY Coach even MAKES a leather conditioner!! LOL

I've bought MANY all leather Coach bags, and each and every carecard has directed me NOT to use their product on their bags! It kinda cracks me up!! LMAO

I know! So strange... I think the only bags I can use coach condition on are my cinnamon parker hippie and my large leather zoe. I use apple anyways, but still! They should make a better cleaner/conditioner...