Does the car you drive an important fashion statement to you?

cucumber

so refreshing
May 11, 2009
The car you drive can say masses about your personality, age, wealth and FASHION sense. I believe that cars, just like clothes or bags you wear, are fashion statements and accessories. So, why are we not allowed to discuss them on this forum? The reason I'm asking is because I posted a question "Why type of Porsche Cayenne does Whitney Port drive?" that was closed because it wasn't considered a fashion question. :confused1:

Cars and Fashion Hit the Runway:

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/medialink/1217-cars-and-fashion-hit-the-runway-video.htm

I think vehicles are more of a status thing (or maybe an accessory)...I have a Porsche Cayenne, but I don't consider it to be part of my outfit :smile:

Perhaps try posting in in the "General" section - it's pretty much free game there

In a way, yes. Cars can definitely have style. They say fashion is like art because it expresses your personality and what not..cars can do the same. Driving a vintage Camaro is very different from driving, lets say, a 2009 Prius - both of those cars make different statements. Maybe not FASHION statements, but definitely STYLE statements. Nothing is wrong with either car but they both express different things...I hope I'm making sense!

cars might not equate 'fashion' directly...

but both cars and fashion certainly can equate style...

style is the broader term...and this board is called celeb bags AND style...

Cars are transportation. They get you from point A to point B. Nothing else matters. Too many people have gotten into serious financial trouble over their $50K flashmobiles.

I don't equate cars with fashion.

I agree. Cars can be a status thing, but not necessarily. I know my parents would never spend money on a luxury car (we drive Toyotas), even though they easily could. It just isn't a priority for us. On the other hand, my parents have always owned racehorses and I've had many nice, safe riding horses growing up. It would be a shame for someone to pass a sweeping judgment on my style or "status" based simply on the car I drive.

There is an element of functionality as well as style. But not everyone really has a choice when the are buying used or on a budget. I got a new car but a more affordable one (Toyota Yaris) because it seemed stupid to me to go into debt over a car, especially when public transit is available. But definately the choice of colour for a new car, as well as the additional bells and whistles say something about personal style or taste.

In my country, cars are absolutely status symbol.....here in Singapore, people pursue at least 5 C's ....condominiums, credit cards, Club memberships (golf and recreational country clubs), Cash, Cars, Children (opt), Career.....here the cheapest car which is Malaysian, China or Indian made are in the league of at least $25k (United States Dollars) which are those small hatchbacks that are literally biscuit tins on wheels.....I think we have the most expensive cars in the world after factoring import duties, customs, etc, etc, not withstanding a 'birth certificate' for the car called a Certificate of Entitlement (COE)!! I think we can easily own 3 or more cars elsewhere for the price of 1 car in Singapore. But precisely due to the high prices of owning a car, it has become a status symbol.

For me, cars are strictly for function. I worked for a company for 7yrs (i had to drive to work) and most of my co workers did not know what kind of car I drove, but they could tell you about my outfits.

I have a brand new nissan versa and it runs fine and thats all that I care about. It gets me where I need to go.

I agree. Where I live everyone leases BMWs, Benz, etc. Its not even a status thing anymore.

I totally agree with this - I'm always amazed by the number of people who assume I lease my vehicle (I don't) - it's like no one actually outright purchases cars anymore. My parents always taught us that you should never buy a car unless you have money in the bank to pay for it :smile: