Louboutins after foot surgery

dancer1

Shoe and Bagaholic
May 27, 2008
Hi,

I had bunion surgery last Thursday. I am trying to get a sense from those who may have had the surgery of healing time. How long before you were back in your CLs. I am hoping to wear a pair for my birthday next month.

Any help will be appreciated.

Dancer, as some one who has had multiple foot surgeries I have to sternly warn you not to rush things :nono: I've had 2 bunion repairs and a host of other procedures after the second surgery that went wrong (the pin started backing out which ultimately lead to multiple other procedures after chronic, nonstop pain for almost a year).

I cannot urge you enough to simply follow your Dr's advice not anyone else's regarding healing time. If he says 6-8 weeks, suck it up and wear your surgical shoe or black boot knowing this too shall pass.

FYI, on yesterday I had my fifth (5th) painful procedure after my bunion repair gone wrong. I'm icing my foot as I type after just taking half a percocet. Consider me a disgruntled expert on the matter :hugs: Sorry its not what you want to hear but it's for your own good!!

Delayed Reaction (what was I thinking) - Feel better!!!

Last edited:
Dancer, as some one who has had multiple foot surgeries I have to sternly warn you not to rush things :nono: I've had 2 bunion repairs and a host of other procedures after the second surgery that went wrong (the pin started backing out which ultimately lead to multiple other procedures after chronic, nonstop pain for almost a year).

I annot urge you enough to simply follow your Dr's advice not anyone else's regarding healing time. If he says 6-8 weeks, suck it up and wear your surgical shoe or black boot knowing this too shall pass.

FYI, on yesterday I had my fifth (5th) painful procedure after my bunion repair gone wrong. I'm icing my foot as I type after just taking half a percocet. Consider me a disgruntled expert on the matter :hugs: Sorry its not what you want to hear but it's for your own good!!
This is worth quoting again.
It is very important to NOT rush things and follow your doctors advice.

Take it easy and heal safely.

Ladies thank you for the advice. MichelleD your response is honest and I appreciate it and will heed it.

The doctor told me he estimates a month and for now didn't foresee a problem with me getting into some form of a shoe. My bunion wasn't very big, but it hurt like heck, so the surgery was pretty uneventful. However, I did have my big toe straightened and the toe next to it shortened to match up. I will see him on Friday to follow-up and see how I am healing. I'm trying to be optimistic.

Again, thank you for the advice and well wishes.

PS. MichelleD good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery. I hope this is your last surgery.

Ladies thank you for the advice. MichelleD your response is honest and I appreciate it and will heed it.

The doctor told me he estimates a month and for now didn't foresee a problem with me getting into some form of a shoe. My bunion wasn't very big, but it hurt like heck, so the surgery was pretty uneventful. However, I did have my big toe straightened and the toe next to it shortened to match up. I will see him on Friday to follow-up and see how I am healing. I'm trying to be optimistic.

Again, thank you for the advice and well wishes.

PS. MichelleD good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery. I hope this is your last surgery.

There's nothing like the power of positive thinking. The form of shoe you will be getting into next is a sneaker hun but no worries, you will be rocking all the super hot fall boots & booties in no time.

As for me, I'm good, thank you. I didn't have surgery just a series of painful probes (read a little thicker than a needle) to deaden the nerve that was causing all the pain. I was awake thru the process, it just hurt like a :cursing: My only directive was no exercise or running. I've only had a little swelling is all. I can wear show but just haven't bothered too.

Hi ladies! This is slightly off from the OP's question but came to mind as I read...

I have not had bunion surgery b/c mine are not painful and everyone says wait until they hurt. But, I have them on both feet and they ruin my shoes and they do limit the shoes I can wear b/c some styles are painful.

So, for those who have gone through it... worth it for cosmetic purposes, or only if you are in pain?

My mom got hers done a few years ago and I just wonder... what is the point of waiting if it will be more years of enjoying prettier feet if I just do it sooner??

Hi ladies! This is slightly off from the OP's question but came to mind as I read...

I have not had bunion surgery b/c mine are not painful and everyone says wait until they hurt. But, I have them on both feet and they ruin my shoes and they do limit the shoes I can wear b/c some styles are painful.

So, for those who have gone through it... worth it for cosmetic purposes, or only if you are in pain?

My mom got hers done a few years ago and I just wonder... what is the point of waiting if it will be more years of enjoying prettier feet if I just do it sooner??

I straddle the fence on this one ShoeBunny. I never had the deformity just darn pain and I tell you it was awful--like someone stabbing me in my foot with hot knives out of nowhere. However, I am vain and if my toes started to turn inward and my feet started to look deformed I'd definitely have the surgery, pain or not.

What no one tells you is that even with more aesthetically pleasing feet, you still may run the risk of having foot pain even after the surgery.

Kind of OT here too but is bunion surgery something that is covered by insurance?? It seems like it would be because they cause you pain but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't. I have one that usually only tends to hurt by the end of the day in certain shoes but I am sure someday I will have to take care of it.

Dancer I am just going to echo what everyone else said cuz I have never had the surgery. Follow the docs orders and be patient. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end!!! Hope you feel better quickly!

I'm afraid I don't know anyone who's had bunion surgery; my mum has bunions but she's not considering surgery on them as they aren't that bad yet, she just wears comfortable shoes and special inserts. From what I know, that the risk of complications from that surgery is high, and if you rush things, you might never be able to wear heels again. Give yourself plenty of time to heal; your health is the most important thing you have. Good luck with the recovery process; I sincerely hope you'll soon be back to rocking your CLs.

I had bunion surgery and fix hammertoe in left foot years ago, and while painful, I am glad I did. Now I need my right foot done, bunion is not so bad but hammertoes are. In the mean time, madamelizaking, I have been using the yoga toes solution (the cheaper version at CVS) and it is amazing how weill it works! I put them on every night for about 20 mins and it does correct some of the toe issues. I would recommend them to anyone!

very interesting, archy.
buzzy, I am in the same boat. I got prescription insoles from a Podiatrist 3-4 years ago and I wear them at work five days a week. It seems to have stopped the bunion from progressing and greatly reduced]eliminated the pain. I believe this has helped me to be able to wear heels much more than before! Yay!

very interesting, archy.
buzzy, I am in the same boat. I got prescription insoles from a Podiatrist 3-4 years ago and I wear them at work five days a week. It seems to have stopped the bunion from progressing and greatly reduced]eliminated the pain. I believe this has helped me to be able to wear heels much more than before! Yay!

Mal, in what types (style) of shoes do you wear your orthotics? Years ago the podiatrist suggested I get fitted for and wear orthotics but I assumed that would mean I would also have to wear those butt ugly velcro closure orthopedic shoes they sell it the podiatrist's office :nuts: and I simply refused to do that. I'll say it again, I'm vain :shame: and I've paid the price for sure with all these darn podiatry procedures (dont judge me people- :P At the time I opted to get rid of the pain altogether vs. putting surgery off by using orthotics. Didn't quite work out that way but such is life. Perhaps I need to look into orthotics again? It certainly cant hurt.

^^ :roflmfao: Yes Michelle, life's too short for granny shoes (unless you're on your feet for 12 hours a day like nurses or something, in which case it doesn't matter how ugly the shoes are provided you're comfortable).

Best of luck to you, dancer! As the others have said, don't rush it. I haven't had surgery but I did sprain my ankle a while back; at the time it'll feel like you're going FOREVER without them, but really before you know it, you'll be back in your CLs.

And yes, Mal, please let us know if there are orthotics for shoes like CLs, I'm sure lots of us want to know! (although the idea of asking someone at an orthotics place for CL-friendly products does seem funny... "Yeah hi, can I get something to maintain the health of my feet that I can put into 4" stilettos?")