First Birkin :)

yeochinh

Jun 28, 2006
Hello!
I'm currently thinking fo getting a birkin as a birthday present for myself and I was wondering which size would fit me most. Im leaning towards the 40cm ones but I'm having a hard time looking for one.
I'm a guy, 5"8 in height, so im thinking between 35 or 40cm.
Im also thinking of getting a black one since this is my first birkin.
What leather would you reccomend?
Thanks in advanced for your replies! :smile:

To my eye, I think the 40 is better for a guy, the scale of the bag matches the scale of a masculine body better than the 35. IF you come across one, you might also consider a 36 HAC...

Black is a classic! I'm a basics girl, so I recommend togo or clemence for the leather. Whether to go the Palladium (silver) hardware or gold hardware is just a matter of personal preference!

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Thanks! i'll keep that in mind. I was also thinking about getting a croc one, will it be harder to maintain? Most of my designer bags are LVs and I never had one in exotic leather before.

Croc will be much harder to maintain! Obviously the price point is totally different than that of a more basic leather. If you plan to use the bag as an everyday bag or if you live in a climate that is humid or has frequent rain... I would not suggest croc. If this is your first Birkin I wouldn't also make it your first exotic unless it is meant to be a special occasion bag.

ITA with the others.... go with 40 cm. In regards to leather, I would say that Togo would be a good choice bc it's very durable and holds its shape well, too. Black would be an great bc it's such a classic. BTW, my first birkin was Black, too. Good luck with your decision.

I have to agree that a 40cm is best..As a guy I have two 40cm Brikin's and use them as a day bag..I have a 50cm HAC and he is wayyyy too heavy to use day to day...Good luck.

I also have questions regarding the durability of the bag, since im a student, i carry alot of books with me (and some laptops too), will the birk be able to handle the load? (i carry about 2-4 600 page textbooks a day, and a 15" laptop). What's the maximum weight you can put on it?

I also have questions regarding the durability of the bag, since im a student, i carry alot of books with me (and some laptops too), will the birk be able to handle the load? (i carry about 2-4 600 page textbooks a day, and a 15" laptop). What's the maximum weight you can put on it?

I agree with the advise te others gave you: for a guy, 40cm (for the aspect, but also considering the size of what has to fit in), possibly Togo (more rigid) or eventually Clémence (more slouchy, and slightly heavier than Togo). Black, perfect. No problems of weight, these bags are as sturdy as a luggage (the best luggage)
Croc will be much more fagile, I don't advise it for the use you will have of your bag.
Good luck!:smile:

IMO (and I'm only a Birkin beginner student) a black 40 PHW will be choice you will not regret.

I wouldn't use a birkin to carry more than life's essentials. Books and laptop should go in a briefcase or similar. Even though all Hermes bags look strong enough for usual day to day abuse and the occasional 'heavy day' - no bag made as a handbag is supposed to carry such a weight a couple of books and a laptop regularly.

Er make that X 2 for croc