I splurged on a BE and need advice :)

Jun 19, 2009
I have a gorgeous WTM Midi in Pewter on the way. It looks fantastic in pics, no real wear at all and only used sparingly by its previous owner. I am really new to this forum and with a screaming toddler cant pick through all the threads. Should I send it to Lovin My Bags to get a protectant applied? Is it worth the 75.00. Or should I order some products and try to do it myself? I would have to buy a hairdryer -LOL I guess, not sure what I would need for sure since it is metallic. Any help you can give a newbie is greatly greatly appreciated!!!!

Hi, and welcome to BE! :smile: I have a pre-loved pewter crash Make Me Smile Midi. When I received it, I treated it with Lovin' My Bags cleaner and moisturizer, as I do with all of my bags before I wear them. It worked fine. I don't believe you need to spend $75 to have someone else do it. I must say that it probably didn't really need the treatment because the crash leathers seem to be quite hardy. After wearing my bag a number of times, I find that it is pretty low maintenance.

Hello....welcome. I have a pewter LM and I can say I have never treated it with anything. Still, soft and gorgeous. I had thought that Jackie mentioned that the metallics shouldn't be treated with anything.

You might want to email her or Maya, or maybe some of the gals that have used treatment on the metallics can share how it's held up.

Thanks I will try emailing BE too, to see what they say - I think it is the most expensive bag I've owned up to now but it was such a great deal I know I would kick myself if I didnt get it :smile:

If I recall correctly, I think BE's advice is to NOT treat the crash leathers, as they have a special coating, which the creams/protectants etc may remove. Pewter is particularly hardy (based on the many reviews here), so I'd say save the money, save the time, and just enjoy it! Welcome to the amazing world of BE!! :flowers:

If I recall correctly, I think BE's advice is to NOT treat the crash leathers, as they have a special coating, which the creams/protectants etc may remove. Pewter is particularly hardy (based on the many reviews here), so I'd say save the money, save the time, and just enjoy it! Welcome to the amazing world of BE!! :flowers:

I didn't know that. Oh, well, my pewter bag looks fine even after the LMB treatment. But since BE recommends not treating crash leathers, I'll refrain from putting anything on it from now on.

I have a pewter wtm midi and I will say that after hearing several reports on the pewter peeling etc.. I became worried and was planning on treating it myself. But, then I started wearing and it still looks brand new. I never got around to treating and don't think I will since it's been holding up just great.:smile:

I think pewter is going to be just fine! And if I start to see signs of wear later then I'll treat it myself.

P.S. Enjoy your bag and welcome to our forum!

I have a pewter wtm midi and I will say that after hearing several reports on the pewter peeling etc.. I became worried and was planning on treating it myself. But, then I started wearing and it still looks brand new. I never got around to treating and don't think I will since it's been holding up just great.:smile:

I think pewter is going to be just fine! And if I start to see signs of wear later then I'll treat it myself.

P.S. Enjoy your bag and welcome to our forum!

Lovebags - Did someone say their pewter peeled? I don't remember reading that. Was it a certain area? I know many of the metallic bags have issues with peeling, but I thought the BE pewter was hard wearing. Just checking, because i haven't worn mine yet.

Lovebags - Did someone say their pewter peeled? I don't remember reading that. Was it a certain area? I know many of the metallic bags have issues with peeling, but I thought the BE pewter was hard wearing. Just checking, because i haven't worn mine yet.

Hi Suzi,

Yes, I"ve heard that pewter in the past has peeled to where you can see "black" underneath it's surface.

I"m not sure if my PF friend posted about her most recent experience with her pewter wtm midi or not but she passed on the information to me recently.

Also, if I"m not mistaken I believe one of our PF member's had some issues with her pewter AP. Maybe she can chime in?

Suzi, I wouldn't worry though. I"m not BECAUSE I absolutely love pewter. It's stunning. And the way I figure if I get a few years out of then I"ll be happy and buy it all over again (and again hehe).

Granted, my girlfriend purchased her pewter wtm midi brand new and had these issues within the first week so that wouldn't be good but so far Suzi I haven't had that experience myself.

And my pewter KM and PM still look brand new too!

My strap pad suffered badly after 3 days use but that was after I applied sun tan lotion to my shoulder and sweated in very hot weather. (This does tend to make me want to avoid applying lotions and potions to the leather.)

Attachments

• Strap pad.JPG
    Strap pad.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 48
Here is my reponse from Jackie re the Pewter. Thanks for all your help :smile:

Hi Alicia,

Thank you for your email!

The pewter leather should not be cleaned or treated. It is a metallic
leather and will wear well on its own.

If you put anything on it, that might damage it.

Enjoy!

Jackie XxX