Besace maxi -- stay in MI or back to NY?

CMUmom56

Jun 25, 2009
I just received my GGH black Besace from the UPS man. Was very excited to open as I was waiting ALL day for him to deliver my treasure. Well...opened the box and looked inside -- saw the GGH and couldn't wait to see the rest -- boy was I surprised. Turns out the bag was quite a bit larger than I had thought and had no top zipper. The size is a little overwhelming and the fact that there is no zip has me wondering if she should go back.....or should I give it a chance and see how she looks and feels before I send her packing back to NY? HELP ME LADIES -- I really don't want to send it back -- lovely hardware and smooshy black leather have me weak in the knees, but the size and absence if a top zipper have me wondering if I made the wrong decision to purchase?

I have never seen a besace in real life, but the words "overwhelming" and "no zip" would not work for me. How does the bag fasten? I guess it all depends on what you will use it for?

i have it in magenta with giant silver hardware, and love it, at first i was skeptical as it was larger than the regular messenger, but when i wore it, it just seemed to mold to my shape, and the fact when you have a three year old the bag is so easy allowing for my hands to be free. Also i too was worried about the zipper issue, but when i put things into it and wore it, no problem (there was no way a pickpocket could get into it when its worn across the body). Its a Great Mom bag,

The GGH is lovely and the bag is too, but the lack of a zipper is really bugging me and I don't know if i can go out with this bag and not lose stuff - lol I have always had zippers on top, but I guess some totes don't have them. The dimensions are 18x15.5 which really isn't that bad -- a couple inches wider than the PT and City -- it is a tad longer from top to bottom though -- and it is a deep bag, so I'm guessing that's the reasoning behind not putting in a zipper? Ughhh I can't decide -- it's sitting here looking at me saying....PLEASEEEE keep me -- IDK :confused1:

Humm, I wonder if the GH besace is different than the RH besace. I love my RH and wouldn't use the word "overwhelming" ever to describe it.

That being said - it sounds like it's not your thing = so I'd exchange it for something that makes your heart race.

Humm, I wonder if the GH besace is different than the RH besace. I love my RH and wouldn't use the word "overwhelming" ever to describe it.

That being said - it sounds like it's not your thing = so I'd exchange it for something that makes your heart race.

If you don't mind me asking - what are the measurements of you bag and does it have a top zipper -- also wht year is yours -- mine is an '08. Maybe the size of the purse & the RH dictates whether it has a zipper or not? The bag is classified as a maxi Besace -- so I'm guessing the "maxi" is describing the size perhaps??

I have never seen a besace in real life, but the words "overwhelming" and "no zip" would not work for me. How does the bag fasten? I guess it all depends on what you will use it for?

I agree with this. And, if the bag only wows you with the way it looks but not the way it may function, I would send it back and get something you know as soon as you see it that you will wear and enjoy. Believe me, this is from personal experience. You don't want to wait until your window of opportunity closes to exchange it (been there, too). Since you love the leather and the hardware, maybe another style would suit you. The Day would be a great bag that drapes nicely on the body and has a zip top.

If you don't mind me asking - what are the measurements of you bag and does it have a top zipper -- also wht year is yours -- mine is an '08. Maybe the size of the purse & the RH dictates whether it has a zipper or not? The bag is classified as a maxi Besace -- so I'm guessing the "maxi" is describing the size perhaps??

^^Mine is a 2008 RH besace - I don't have the measurements right now, but I'd say it holds the same amount as the city bag. It does not have a top zipper, but it doesn't bother me at all. It makes it easy to get in and out.

Yeah -- kinda sad, but I just don't know what to do. I have a city, day and Pom -- all of which I love dearly. I am waiting on a new F/W color called Chataigne and more than likely getting a PT in that color. The bag is here beside me and slowly, but surely I am getting used to it..I have 30 days to think about it, so I guess I will be walking around the house and yard with her trying to decide. Why do Bals have to be so darn yummy -- I want them all -- zip or no zip - LOL

^^Mine is a 2008 RH besace - I don't have the measurements right now, but I'd say it holds the same amount as the city bag. It does not have a top zipper, but it doesn't bother me at all. It makes it easy to get in and out.

^^^
Yeah -- I am just so used to having zippers on all my bags .. maybe I'm due for a change and have been too stubborn to try something new. I do agree it is way easier to get things out of rather than fussing with a zipper -- especially when I'm in a hurry! Looks to me like I'm inching closer and closer to keeping her..smooshy leather and all that GGH is just too pretty to give back, but... I will keep all of you posted as to what I eventually do with her -->>:ty:Ladies!

This is so interesting! The EXACT same thing happened to my mom. I guess there are different Besace sizes? It's confusing. My mom definitely fell in love with a Besace w/ GH at Neimans. But, they didn't have the color she wanted. So, I found a black GSH for her on the bay and when it arrived, the box was HUGE! really...insanely huge. she opened it and thought it was too big (def bigger than the one in the store) but she still loved it. I told her if she had doubts she should sell it because if she didn't love it right away, she may never. But, she proved me wrong. She says she's been loving it more and more. She now uses it everyday.

And regarding the lack of zipper, that was what really attracted her to the bag in the first place. She wanted a Bal but she had so much trouble getting in and out of them with the "bunny ears". Whenever we're out together and I have my City, she can't understand how I deal with it.

So...that's my story! Hope this helps. Black w/ GGH is AMAZING...but it will be amazing in another style too...go with your gut instinct.

There are two Besace's with GH, one is the Besace SGH and the other is the Maxi. The Maxi is slightly larger than the regular Besace, but I guess a few inches makes a loooot of difference as some girls are noticing in the Besace.

I say you return it.

Yup, I was just going to say before RERE did that there's a Maxi that's larger than the GH Besace.

I have an RH Besace and I measured it for you - it's 15 inches wide and 13 inches tall (at the lowest point where the top curves down) and the strap is a whopping 35 inches long.

Here's a mod pic of me with it. I'm 5'3". Does it look about this size?

BesaceMod14.jpg

I'm like you - I feel better if all my bags are zipped up. But, I actually like the fact that this particular bag doesn't have a zip top. It stays closed when you wear it cross-body and it's easy to reach into it for stuff. I keep my wallet and mobile in the front zipped pocket.

But, if you don't feel comfortable with it and feel odd carrying it, you should return it. Don't waste your money on a bag you're not going to carry. You can always get Black + GGH in another style, which you will love.

i have it in magenta with giant silver hardware, and love it, at first i was skeptical as it was larger than the regular messenger, but when i wore it, it just seemed to mold to my shape...allowing for my hands to be free. Also i too was worried about the zipper issue, but when i put things into it and wore it, no problem (there was no way a pickpocket could get into it when its worn across the body)

Wow, you make a great case for the Besace, voofy!! I've never really given this style a second thought because of the lack of a zipper, but I think you may have just convinced me to give it a try at some point :nuts:!!

Thanx to all you lovely ladies for taking the time to help me. I slept on it and am seriously thinking that I should keep her. She is just too darn pretty to be sitting in NY on a shelf. Keep watching my posts though -- I am very fickle so I might change my mind -- like 100 times b4 I do anything -- all the SA's just love me -- LOL :angel: