Chiara: Structured or Soft Leather??

kuwa

O.G.
Feb 25, 2008
I am debating a Chiara in the sale, and just asked this question in the sale thread. Thought I might get more of a response by starting a new thread.

So: Do you think Chiara is a model that would do well in a more structured leather, or do you think a softer one suits it best?

I think we've only seen tinted or soft leathers on the Chiara up till now (please correct me if I'm wrong), but has anyone contemplated a leather with a bit more structure to help the bag keep it's shape?

Thanks for thoughts/comments.

Thanks duranie. I'm thinking along the same lines for the larger size.

Did you not like your Chiara? I know you have an Ormala (mini?), do you prefer one over the other?

Sorry that I am adding more questions to this thread, but I am all caught up in what to do before the sale ends. Do we know when the official end is yet?

In my opinion a structured leather suits the Chiara styles better. I have a Chiara in Dk Grey 052. It holds it's shape, but not at all stiff. I have ordered a Tinted Chocolate Mini C and requested in reinforced, because I didn't want it to be a big chocolate puddle. I personally prefer bags that have shape, like the Chiara or Ormala, to be structured, and bags like Hobos to be soft and puddley. My GIB Mini O I have from AA is not reinforced and puddles when not suffed full. If I had bespoked it, I would have requested reinforcement. I'm actually glad I didn't because when I order a future Mini O, I'll have it reinforced, and it will look like a different style (that's how I'm rationalizing my many future orders at least :P) So if you have one in the tinted leather already, then geting one in a structured leather may help it seem more of a different style, KWIM?

I liked my mini ormala better than the mini chiara, much better at getting into and stuffing it more. I do thing the mini o should have structure too though. Emelias can be puddly but thoose 2 (and Virginia) need structure to stand upright.

In my opinion a structured leather suits the Chiara styles better. I have a Chiara in Dk Grey 052. It holds it's shape, but not at all stiff. I have ordered a Tinted Chocolate Mini C and requested in reinforced, because I didn't want it to be a big chocolate puddle. I personally prefer bags that have shape, like the Chiara or Ormala, to be structured, and bags like Hobos to be soft and puddley. My GIB Mini O I have from AA is not reinforced and puddles when not suffed full. If I had bespoked it, I would have requested reinforcement. I'm actually glad I didn't because when I order a future Mini O, I'll have it reinforced, and it will look like a different style (that's how I'm rationalizing my many future orders at least :P) So if you have one in the tinted leather already, then geting one in a structured leather may help it seem more of a different style, KWIM?

Thanks for your detailed response, sillykitty (love your username btw). Looks like another vote for structured.

I like the idea of having a mini C made with reinforcement, never thought of that. Wonder if I went with a structured leather, if that would be something to consider on the full size Chiara?

Well, I have the raspberry in a mini O and did not ask for extra reinforcement, and it only has a bit of slouch on the sides. This is only after a lot of use. So maybe structured leathers don't need the extra reinforcement. hmmm

I liked my mini ormala better than the mini chiara, much better at getting into and stuffing it more. I do thing the mini o should have structure too though. Emelias can be puddly but thoose 2 (and Virginia) need structure to stand upright.

duranie I am with you that the mini O is just an awesome bag, and is so easy to use.

part of my dilemma on debating over another mini O or Chiara is that I have yet to use my mini Chiara, so I don't have any comparison to go by. I already know I love my mini O, but will I love a Chiara as much? *biting nails*

Well, it all depends on what you like. I adore my Chiara in tinted chocolate, and it feels great when I'm traveling and wearing it cross-body. It's not as big that way, too. But if you want to keep the shape, then totally go for a more structured leather. I think it works either way. You saw my Carla, that would be comparable. Look at Ms. L's turquoise, that shows off the shape really well and you can imagine it looking like that in your own structured leather.

duranie I am with you that the mini O is just an awesome bag, and is so easy to use.

part of my dilemma on debating over another mini O or Chiara is that I have yet to use my mini Chiara, so I don't have any comparison to go by. I already know I love my mini O, but will I love a Chiara as much? *biting nails*

I really like both styles, so for me my decision would be based more on size. My Mini O is the perfect size for me, and i think the Mini C will be as well. The Chiara is larger than I generally carry, so I probably won't buy that size again. But I tend to like smaller purses than average, so you might find the regular Chiara more to your liking.

Oh...and I probably wouldn't add reinforcements to an already structured leather....

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm still debating, but this is good for any future contemplations.

Guess it all comes down to personal preference, since Euridice's tinted choc Chiara is beautiful, too. I see what you mean by referring to the Carla (always forget that model), as a structured leather has little 'give" to it. Ormala style probably suits structure more than Chiara does.

elizat, I love thick slouchy leathers, but I really like my structured bags too. I must have been born under a star of confusion!

sillykitty, I thought that mini C would be a similar size to mini O, but somehow with the bags I have, mini C is super cute and on the smallish side compared to mini O. I'm thinking that full size C would probably be a tad smaller (less wide maybe?) than full Ormala, which I'm not ready to do yet.

Decisions decisions, thanks for helping me think, everyone!

Yes Kuwa you are correct...a full size Ormala is definitely bigger than a full size Chiara. Measurements are similiar, but the Ormala is deeper and taller.

For example I have both and am ordering a bag from this sale. I am a big bag, even over sized bag gal, but I would not do another Ormala unless I was using it as a work tote.

So I have decided to do either another Chiara or a mini-O....of course I am still working on Maria to create a mid-sized Ormala, but she said not in time for this sale. =(

Thanks so much, Ms.Lizardo. Definitely makes things clearer for me.

But the big question STILL is: Chiara or Mini O??????? Which one are you getting?

(thinking positive thoughts for the Midi O, which would be perfect!)

I am 95% sure it is going to be the Mini_O in camel...I am pulling out the leather catalogue once more time before i send it off and also laying out the few swatches I have to make the final decision.

I don't have a Mini-O and just got the turquoise Chiara...which is the same leather texture as the tinted ones. It is getting softer and smooshie, yet the Chiara still is holding it shape, so I'm pretty happy with her. Also for some reason the turquoise shows up a bit more blue than the tinge more greenish tint it has. it really is a gorgeous leather.

I wish they still had balck diamond in stock, and honestly that GIB leather is unbelievable!!

This is so hard.

kuwa, what bag do you want? Do you want the bigger Chiara with the shape holding? Or, do you want another version of the mini Ormala?

What leather are you considering? Perhaps that should be your guide?

Ms. L, that mini in pebbled camel will be great!!