Eyebrow/upper lip threading and waxing = premature wrinkles?

misstania

Dec 15, 2006
I've been waxing and/or threading my eyebrows and upper lip for two years now, and it recently dawned on me that all the pulling and tugging may facilitate WRINKLES. Is there any truth to this? Would plucking yield the same result? Thanks ladies!

I was told the exact opposite! My understanding is that waxing pulls on your skin, which could stretch the skin (and cause wrinkles) whereas threading massages the skin. At least, that's what I hope! I love threading :smile:

Ahhh, at least threading is safe! Anyone else care to add in their 2 cents? The more reassurance I can get, the better ;)

PS: Is plucking also damaging? For sure it's LESS damaging than waxing/threading

A lot of cultures that tend to thread don't have any traits of early wrinkles. I thread my upper lip but pluck my eyebrows too and they seem to be fine! Though I'm almost 22, i've been doing this since the age of 12! =D

ive also wondered this. ive never had it done yet though! the girls at my work say that threading, you can get herpes from threading! has anyone heard this?! she said the saliva from their mouth, gets on the string, and can get into your pores or a cut...that is if they have herpes. ive never in my life even imagined this.....

the saliva from on the thread from the "threader's" mouth doesn't touch the thread that is touching your skin. The thread is extremely long. I can't imagine that being true... but who knows? Maybe if the threader is a heavy salivator and the spit runs down the thread....yuck!

So now I have to stop waxing? I do it myself and it saves a lot of money. How can it cause wrinkles exactly? You're holding your skin taut.

I don't think that that's true :/.. When threading, the thread isn't supposed to tug/pull your skin (I don't know if that's what happens when you do it) the threat just pulls the hair from the root so it wont cause any wrinkles.. I've been threading for years, never tried waxing it because I've heard that waxing your upper lip actually make it droop or sag.. Not sure if that's true either!

ive also wondered this. ive never had it done yet though! the girls at my work say that threading, you can get herpes from threading! has anyone heard this?! she said the saliva from their mouth, gets on the string, and can get into your pores or a cut...that is if they have herpes. ive never in my life even imagined this.....

The threadist (is that even a word? :P) only puts the end of the thread in her mouth, and if the thread snaps they just use more thread, there's always a part before and after the part of the thread that touches your face so that can't be true.. I'm hoping that actually made sense!

OMG, I just did threading for the first time. I do see how any type of hair removal may cause wrinkles because in any way you choose, they do tug on your skin somehow. It's almost inevitable to not tug on your skin with hair removal systems. I took my daughter and she did have a couple of little scabs on her eyelids the next day that developed from pulling on her brow hair. I like how threading cleans up your face and leaves everything so smooth. Now about the herpes thing, I didn't notice if the part of the thread that is in their mouth ever rotates with the skin that touhes your face. I know the thread moves a lot, but I never noticed that the mouth part ever slides down to your face area. Good question though. Maybe you can watch a clip of it on Youtube or something to see if the thread in their mouth ever slides down while they're tugging.