Historical Coach... has anyone seen it?

QueenLouis

O.G.
Mar 6, 2007
So Coach has been around since 1941. Has anyone ever seen a bag or pictures of a bag from the 1940's?

I remember what Coach looked like in the 1980's. Is that the same style that had been around for the previous 40 years?

oh good thread. Look what I found :nuts:

Link

coach-purses-bonnie.jpg

Before the famous Coach purses became self-sufficient icons, Coach started out as a small wholesale handbag manufacturing company in New York City, in the early 1940's.

By 1960, the owners Miles and Lillian Cahn decided to open a retail collection and asked designer Bonnie Cashin (pictured below) to head the project.

Due to other obligations, Bonnie could not clear her schedule for 2 more years.

But the Cahn's patiently waited for their #1 choice to agree to their offer and two years later in 1962, she finally did.

Among other achievements, Bonnie Cashin is best known for taking the fashion world by storm with her designs of Coach Handbags and thus revolutionizing the handbag industry.

After an era of dark, dull accessories in the fashion world, she began introducing bright colors that matched her fashion views of the time.

Bonnie Cashin Everyone from client to factory worker was amazed at the highly functional character and style of her Coach handbags.

She also insisted on using only the best materials in the construction of these Coach handbags which added to the high quality of the Coach brand.

Her associate, Dorothy Liebes, a highly successful textile designer, contributed to this success as well.

And working together as a dynamic duo, they were able to create stunning designs and unmatched success.

Bonnie Cashin was definitely considered a trend setter by creating a line of matching smaller items that neatly fit inside any Coach purse.

These items included special, smaller purses made specifically for sunglasses, change, keys or make-up.

In addition, she started using hardware for clothes – especially brass – which was a new trend at the time.

Finally, she pioneered a new way of quickly and efficiently opening and closing the bag.

Famous for thinking outside the box, she found her inspiration in the way she easily battened down the top of her convertible sports car.

Although Coach Handbags are considered luxury products, they are famous for being affordable even for those who are budget conscious.

The policy of the firm was to invest in high-quality, but not astronomically expensive products, produced mainly through outsourcing, and in large numbers.

This policy is much different from their competitors who focus on a limited edition policy of their handbags.

In recent years, they have gone international, and the standards for Coach handbags are higher than ever.

In keeping with their superior quality standards, Coach is well-known for their repair policy.

For a small fee, any Coach purse can be delivered back to the company for repair.

In addition, Coach also provides professional cleaning products for all their Coach purses which can be purchased on their website.

Unfortunately no... SHe died in 2000.. That why there the Bonnie Cashin Line after her.. Coach want to pay the respect to her..
That's nice Coach made a tribute line to her after she died. She lived a remarkable life. The turnlocks were her idea, I sure love them even though the current Bonnie Cashin tribute line was not for me I loved the '06-'07 Legacy line that I'm sure implicated her design. I NEED that thick, vintage leather to make Coach worthwhile to me.
Well, back to topic, I would love to see an old 1940's Coach purse. Hope somebody comes up with a pic.

Last edited:
Wow, after reading that I think Coach would be nothing without Bonnie Cashin! That lady is a fashion genius. Is she still alive?

She died in 2000 and you're right - Coach would be nothing without her and they are still using her designs.

The Bonnie Cashin Foundation has a lot of interesting information about her and her designs.

The link is below:

http://www.bonniecashinfoundation.org/main.cfm

:smile:

"Before the famous Coach purses became self-sufficient icons, Coach started out as a small wholesale handbag manufacturing company in New York City, in the early 1940's.

By 1960, the owners Miles and Lillian Cahn decided to open a retail collection and asked designer Bonnie Cashin (pictured below) to head the project."

So, if I'm understanding this correctly... this means they really didn't have any items branded as "Coach" until the 60's? They just manufactured bags for other brands? Is that right?

That was extremely informative! Thank you so much for posting that. It really gives me new insight as to how Coach came to be. It also explains why the most recent Bonnie line was so vibrant and colorful. Unfortunately that line was not for me, but I definitely respect Bonnie Cashin and her contribution to Coach.