Tech Blackberry Use Question

KatsBags

O.G.
Sep 8, 2006
My Verizon store is closed and I can't find the answer on the internet...even on Crackberry.com

Can a Blackberry phone just be used for texting, phone calls, camera...basic cell phone uses? Or does it have to be activated with a data plan?

My friend is updating to a new phone and wants to give her old Blackberry to one of my kids. Whoever gets it (and we're not sure, at this point ;)) definitely does not need to get on the internet or do anything beyond the basics.

Is this even possible?

Thanks.

I think it can. A coworker of mine has one and she doesn't have BBM or internet, I believe. Ask the provider to be sure. Elbows may have to be twisted, but I guess it would be just to use the phone without using the BB Server.

I have sprint but mine HAD to be activated withe internet. Since my parents still pay for my phone my dad said "hell no" because it's an extra $30 a month. Sprint let us cancel the internet portion the same day and they didn't charge us. I only use mine for texts and calls.

Thanks, everyone.

I called "my guy" at Verizon and he said no problem. So, as soon as it's decided who will get it, we'll transfer the phone number.

I'll be interested to see if he can actually get it to go through. Verizon's contract with BB states that a BB must have a data plan associated with it.

I'll be interested to see if he can actually get it to go through. Verizon's contract with BB states that a BB must have a data plan associated with it.

I was just going to say this - a close friend of mine is actually the one that activated my Verizon Blackberry, and she said that Verizon didn't allow their Blackberries to be activated without a data plan associated with them. Some carriers don't require it, but I've always been under the impression that Verizon does.

Interesting to hear the differing opinions. Again, thanks.

He said we could transfer the phone without a data plan. I'll be interested to see if it can be accomplished now that I've read this thread. Since it'll be for one of my children, if we can use the phone, great, if not... no big deal. They each already have a cell phone. The BB would have been a fun upgrade.

Thanks, everyone.

I called "my guy" at Verizon and he said no problem. So, as soon as it's decided who will get it, we'll transfer the phone number.

That is interesting indeed. I have the Q with Verizon (without a data plan) and was thinking about the BB. I was told by Customer Service that phones activated after 11/14/08 MUST have a data plan, those purchased before 11/14/08 did not. I am grandfathered in with my Q. I bought the curve, had it activated for about 1 hour and decided I didnt' like it.When I called Customer service to reactivate my Q the guy said to keep in mind in the future that I only had 30 days to make up my mind and if I waited 1 second after the 30 days even if I decided to reactivate my Q I would have to get it with a data plan. I guess they had way to many complaints about the bills associated with searching the internet if you had a pay as you go plan. Good Luck, let me know how that goes.

With Verizon, PDA/Smartphones and BBs MUST have a data plan.

This happened in June (this or last year) according to any Verizon rep I have contacted. When I got my smartphone, data plans were optional. My phone broke recently so if I got the same discontinued model, they'll let me continue on my non-data plan. But should I choose a different plan, then I must purchase a data plan.

If I bring a different, previously purchased phone of any sort, they might be able to simply activate it to my current plan.

I was just going to say this - a close friend of mine is actually the one that activated my Verizon Blackberry, and she said that Verizon didn't allow their Blackberries to be activated without a data plan associated with them. Some carriers don't require it, but I've always been under the impression that Verizon does.

^^We were also just told this. I need to get a new phone in a couple of months, but I'm not sure I really want a blackberry, but have been thinking about it. I do want a full qwerty keyboard though.