Fall 2009 Lining Change: Thoughts?

starkfan

O.G.
Jan 18, 2009
I posted about this in this thread (http://forum.purseblog.com/treesje/...lable-others-avail-455477-2.html#post11888286), but thought I'd start a new thread for visibility and discussion.

The new Fall 2009 bags (starting with the ones that have just been released, i.e. end of July) will apparently all come with a plain black cotton lining. It's described as "black cotton twill" at Luna Boston. Attached is the best pic of the lining that I could find at LB.

What're your thoughts on this? Would love to hear what everyone else thinks about the change! (I posted my opinion in the thread linked above, FYI.)

(Edited to add a pic of the current bengaline lining!)

Attachments

• 20931-ProductInfoSize-Detail1.jpg
    20931-ProductInfoSize-Detail1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_9441.JPG
    IMG_9441.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 132
I didn't think much of Treesje's grey linings. The lining was okay but the inner leather pockets seemed kind of messy and not very sleek. Mine were always permanently squished. So the black inner Twill lining will be fine with me. The only think I would really object to it ultra suede (I always hated that Kooba inner lining) or printed linings like RM.

I liked the bengaline linings but also do not mind the black... Actually was thinking for the marleys, a black would have been nice...made a bit thicker/stiffer. I don't like how the bengaline lining moves around too much in the larger hobo type styles like the marley. I myself always prefer plain black linings like the Balenciagas have, to printed ones like RM's. I think the lining shouldn't compete at all with the beauty and color of the outer leather.

I didn't think much of Treesje's grey linings. The lining was okay but the inner leather pockets seemed kind of messy and not very sleek. Mine were always permanently squished. So the black inner Twill lining will be fine with me. The only think I would really object to it ultra suede (I always hated that Kooba inner lining) or printed linings like RM.

I liked the bengaline linings but also do not mind the black... Actually was thinking for the marleys, a black would have been nice...made a bit thicker/stiffer. I don't like how the bengaline lining moves around too much in the larger hobo type styles like the marley. I myself always prefer plain black linings like the Balenciagas have, to printed ones like RM's. I think the lining shouldn't compete at all with the beauty and color of the outer leather.

Interesting points! By looks alone, I prefer the silver bengaline lining to this plain black cotton twill, but the black cotton twill could definitely be an improvement if it's thicker/stiffer and sits better in the bag. I think I'm probably used to soft fabric linings that are loose in a bag (to varying degrees with different bags), and as such the silver bengaline doesn't bother me too much in my larger Treesjes (Marseille, Asher -- both not as large as the Marley). I can definitely see how it can be an issue in the larger hobos, though, and how having a stiffer lining can be a huge improvement when it sits properly inside a bag without shifting around so much.

If the black cotton twill is stiffer as well, this might solve the problem of the inner pockets squishing! They still have that patch of leather sewn onto the pocket, though, as visible in the pic that I attached. (I don't really use these pockets for my cell phone or iPod when I'm using my Treesjes, but I agree that they really are a little too shallow for media devices!)

I'm still not quite fond of the "regression" from the more-distinctive silver bengaline lining (even if it's generic in the sense of not being customised for Treesje) to a plain black lining, but I'll definitely reserve further judgement until I see it for myself or we get a tPFer's review! If it really is stiffer and sits better, I could definitely grow to prefer the black cotton twill, I think. I do quite like the slight shine and softness of the silver bengaline, but improved functionality is always good too. ;)

It's definitely good that they're still sticking with a neutral, solid-coloured lining, BTW! I like that the silver bengaline lining doesn't take anything away from the leathers themselves, but still complements most colours. Black, being black, will certainly do the same! :P

I don't like the grey lining at all personally. As long as the black lining is thicker I'm happy. I love plain sturdy linings like that, although I wouldn't mind another color lining (like a brown) :P

I reallly like the black lining as well. Its clean looking and higher quality. I agree with mintpearl that the inside lining does not need to compete with the outside of the bag, especially since Treesje bags are known for high use of detailing on the outside.

I don't like black linings, but it's better than those odd leather-patch pockets.

Those are still there, unfortunately! They're just visible in that pic above, and quite clearly visible in this (middle) pic.

I did not like the grey lining. In two of my Treesje bags it unraveled right at the seams. Very happy to see this improvement. I welcome the sturdier lining!

Ooh, I didn't realise there have been previous issues with the bengaline lining unravelling. (Haven't had any such problems with mine.) Perhaps the sturdier lining would help!

"Visibility" issues with a black lining could possibly come up... I do find it to be a minor issue with some of my bags with black linings, particularly for naturally-slouchy shapes (i.e. hobos) and larger bags. It can become a bit of a black hole... It'd be nice to see them introduce a lighter version of this lining, if this one proves to be an improvement over the bengaline material-wise!

Those are still there, unfortunately! They're just visible in that pic above, and quite clearly visible in this (middle) pic.

Ooh, I didn't realise there have been previous issues with the bengaline lining unravelling. (Haven't had any such problems with mine.) Perhaps the sturdier lining would help!

"Visibility" issues with a black lining could possibly come up... I do find it to be a minor issue with some of my bags with black linings, particularly for naturally-slouchy shapes (i.e. hobos) and larger bags. It can become a bit of a black hole... It'd be nice to see them introduce a lighter version of this lining, if this one proves to be an improvement over the bengaline material-wise!

I think the lining problem had to do with the bag's shape. My problem was on a mini-Avalon and on a hobo. My Asher and Magnolia were fine but their linings weren't so floaty. Still very happy to see this change.