Cracking Patent Leather?

i don't know if patent leather really crackles as my mom and i had the patent leather sabrina during the winter of 2009 but I do know that patent leather does scratch as well and the bad thing is once it scratches, it peels the top layer off.

i don't know if patent leather really crackles as my mom and i had the patent leather sabrina during the winter of 2009 but I do know that patent leather does scratch as well and the bad thing is once it scratches, it peels the top layer off.

have you noticed if it has more issues where the bag folds or slouches? also, if the corners get any wear, does it peel there too? thanks!

Oh wow please don't be true my sis just brought me the Blue Patent Leather Bleecker awaiting arrival from Las Vegas.

A TPF expert will confirm if not going to call Coach in the morn.

Hmm, I have several Patent bags and live in a cold winter climate and have never had any issues with cracks. One of the reasons I prefer Patent to any other material is it's ability to withstand weather better than other types of leather. I suppose if you left it in freezing temperatures for hours on end every day, then maybe? But for every day use, I think it can last outside as long as you can in the cold weather, but that's just my experience and opinion...

Mine has not cracked yet, I bought it before Christmas and I left it in the closet for three weeks. Nothing happened to it, although it is not to cold here (Northern CA) it rains a lot so :shrugs:

I found this ;)

How to Clean and Care for Patent Leather

Instructions

Things You'll Need:
* Three lint-free cotton cloths
* Petroleum jelly

Cleaning and Care of Patent Leather
1. Step 1
Use a dry, lint-free cloth to remove dirt and dust. Do not rub too hard or you will scratch the leather. If there is lots of dirt or mud on your patent leather, moisten a lint-free cotton cloth to remove it.

2. Step 2
Get another lint-free cloth and dab it into the petroleum jelly.

3.Step 3
In a circular motion, rub the petroleum jelly onto the leather, covering the entire surface.

4.Step 4
Once the entire leather surface is covered with a thin layer of petroleum jelly, let it stand for about five minutes.

5. Step 5
Using a clean section of the same cloth, buff the entire surface to a high shine.

6. Step 6
To ensure that the leather is free of residual petroleum jelly, get another clean, dry, lint-free cloth and buff the entire surface again. Any residue left on the patent leather will attract dirt and dull the shine. Pay close attention to seams, around shoe eyelets, or anywhere the petroleum jelly is not easily removed.

Caring and Storage of Patent Leather

7.Step 1
Cleaning your patent leather after each use will keep it looking new for years and will help to hide small, light scuffs. Petroleum jelly also prevents the leather from drying out or cracking.

8.Step 2
After cleaning your patent leather, store it properly. Items like purses should be hung with a small piece of tissue paper placed over them to prevent scratching and dust accumulation.

9. Step 3
Place shoes in a shoebox with a piece of tissue between them to prevent them from scuffing.

Credit to eHow. Link here

I had a non-Coach genuine patent leather bag for 20 years and I did not put petroleum jelly on it or do nothing but store it in a pillowcase and it did not crack. It was not kept in cold temps, though.

By the way, has anyone ever put petroleum jelly on their Coach patent leather bag? If so post your story here, it would be interesting.

Oh, it might be me who mentioned that. That's just a fear of mine because sometimes in the winter the temperatures can go below -25 degrees Celsius and I've seen my scarf turn into a solid biscuit with water crystals hardening the fabric. Everything around turns stiff as boards and the ice on the ground turns into hard rocks. So, I extrapolated and pictured the soft pliable plastic coating turning into an icesheet and any pressure could cause fractures on the leather. Also, if you've seen those liquid nitrogen experiments, things can get really icy and break easily--but luckily things don't get that cold.

So, for me, when I purchased a Berry Patent Delphine in the dead of winter, I was terrified and I really wanted to use the bag too! So, I was upset with my purchase and had to return it. Also, it was $369 (before tax) and it was still too expensive for a bag that I couldn't carry in the winter.

Well, fast forward six or seven months later into the summertime, I am embracing my new Patent Zoes. But, I will put them away once the temperature dips below -10 degrees Celsius. I don't want to take any chances with these beauties. Since I have regular leather Zoes to turn to, I won't be feeling too sad about not using my patent ones during the coldest temperatures of the year. ;)

So, for me I am concerned because I've seen how materials respond below -25 C and I wouldn't want to experiment with any of my patent leather bags. :nogood:

Sorry about escalating this fear. :flowers: Unless you live in Siberia, I don't think most of you have to worry much about the winter cracking your patent leather bags.

Last edited:
I've had the pond patent ergo tote for a little over a year and it still looks great, with no cracking. I don't use it in the really cold temps though since I see it more as a summer bag anyway. And it does get cold here, this winter it was -40*F for almost a week!