Food FAQ for wines!!

dearmissie

I'm MARRIED!!
Aug 16, 2007
So as you all know, I'm starting to venture into Wino-land!! I'm learning all types of tips and knowledge about the fabulous drink and I thought it would be helpful to have a thread dedicated to all the questions for wine!! I've got loads of questions (and I'm sure more and more as time goes on!!) so I hope someone out there has some answers for me as well as all other wine loves with questions!! :drinkup:

P.S.
Please don't laugh at my amateur questions. They may seem stupid, but they are honest question I have. :flowers:

I prefer white wines to be chilled..not sure what's the exact temperature it should be at though. I prefer red wines at room temperature..as well alot of people I know.

45-60 degrees, depending upon the type of wine. 55 degrees is considered "perfect" by many.

Wine Serving Temperatures - Cellarnotes.net

Having a separate "wine chiller" (small wine refigerator) is fabulous, as it has racks for storing wine on it's side. Wine should always be stored lying down, not standing upright.

I drink mostly reds, and I do prefer them chilled 55-60 degrees. Whites should be slightly cooler, IMO.

45-60 degrees, depending upon the type of wine. 55 degrees is considered "perfect" by many.

Wine Serving Temperatures - Cellarnotes.net

Having a separate "wine chiller" (small wine refigerator) is fabulous, as it has racks for storing wine on it's side. Wine should always be stored lying down, not standing upright.

I drink mostly reds, and I do prefer them chilled 55-60 degrees. Whites should be slightly cooler, IMO.

Hmm.. I wonder why that is??

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Oxygen is the worst enemy to the actual wine inside the bottle. The bottles are sealed from the oxygen with pliable, expansive cork. If the cork dries out, it will shrink and possibly let oxygen enter the bottle and oxidize the wine.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Storing the wine on its side will keep the cork moist and maintain the air tight seal for a good deal of time. For extreme periods of time, a humidity controlled environment will be needed to keep the cork from drying out.[/FONT]​

Another thing... if a cork dries out... it actually will over time "disintegrate"... and then when you attempt to remove the cork, it will fall apart... in tiny pieces and crumble into the bottle of wine. If your cork ever "falls apart" when you open a bottle of wine, take it back... you got a bad bottle of wine that was not properly stored.

Another thing... if a cork dries out... it actually will over time "disintegrate"... and then when you attempt to remove the cork, it will fall apart... in tiny pieces and crumble into the bottle of wine. If your cork ever "falls apart" when you open a bottle of wine, take it back... you got a bad bottle of wine that was not properly stored.

My cork didn't disintegrate but a little piece of the cork did fall into the wine because it was my first bottle I ever opened. Can I still drink the wine with the mini cork piece floating in the bottle??

My cork didn't disintegrate but a little piece of the cork did fall into the wine because it was my first bottle I ever opened. Can I still drink the wine with the mini cork piece floating in the bottle??

Yep, I have done that once also... not knowing how to use the opener.
Sure you can still drink it. You can even strain it in a fine strainer or filter if you have little bits of cork floaties. Then pour it in a carafe.

You will learn how to use the opener, and invest in a good, stordy one, with a fairly sharp corkscrew with a straight point (not angled). A good opener is less likely to damage the cork.

Yep, I have done that once also... not knowing how to use the opener.
Sure you can still drink it. You can even strain it in a fine strainer or filter if you have little bits of cork floaties. Then pour it in a carafe.

You will learn how to use the opener, and invest in a good, stordy one, with a fairly sharp corkscrew with a straight point (not angled). A good opener is less likely to damage the cork.

I bought one at Trader Joe's. How much does a good opener cost?? And we usually end up drinking the whole bottle of wine anyways. :lol:

I bought one at Trader Joe's. How much does a good opener cost?? And we usually end up drinking the whole bottle of wine anyways. :lol:

Yes'm, we do too... once opened, a bottle of wine is destined a goner.

Wine openers can be inexpensive or expensive. I have had a bunch of them and every one thus far... the WINGS have come "unscrewed" and broken off. My current fav is a PEDRINI hand-held opener.

Amazon.com: Pedrini Wine & Bar 8-Inch Corkscrew, Soft Finish: Kitchen & Dining

This particular model has a very sturdy weight and build. It also has rubber bottle protector. Most importantly, the TIP of the corkscrew is sharp and straight. This one has by far been the easiest to use.

Yes'm, we do too... once opened, a bottle of wine is destined a goner.

Wine openers can be inexpensive or expensive. I have had a bunch of them and every one thus far... the WINGS have come "unscrewed" and broken off. My current fav is a PEDRINI hand-held opener.

Amazon.com: Pedrini Wine & Bar 8-Inch Corkscrew, Soft Finish: Kitchen & Dining

This particular model has a very sturdy weight and build. It also has rubber bottle protector. Most importantly, the TIP of the corkscrew is sharp and straight. This one has by far been the easiest to use.
Whoa, that looks really fancy!! I got a small one said used for "waitressing". LOL.