President of beautychoice.com cussed me out in an email :(

lummy

Jul 19, 2009
Ok, for those of you who deal with BeautyChoice.com - The Fun & Easy way to Shop for Beauty Products. I wanted to share a story that has just happened to me. You can make up your own minds if this should affect your business with them.

I had began to order something from the site, but cancelled the transaction before the end. There was no disclaimer or option on the contact screen to notify you that your email address would automaticlly be added to an unsolicited mailing list, mind you completely without permission.

I didn't pay attention to the emails at first, I didn't read them or open them. They started becomming more frequent, so I opened one 3 days ago, I found a customer support email address on the website and wrote this to them:

to [email protected]
date Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 6:27 PM
subject unsubscribe
mailed-by gmail.com
hide details Jul 15 (3 days ago)

Can you please unsubscribe me.

I have no desire to buy anything from your website.

Thank you

No reply for 3 days and then I got another spam.

Believing to have been ignored I pressed reply and told them

UNSUBSCRIBE ME FROM YOUR $#$#$ING EMAIL LIST.

Perhaps harsh yes, but livid from firstly being added without permission, and secondly ignored to be removed from the list.

I got a reply 4 min later from the president of the company:

from Jordan Blum <[email protected]>
reply-to [email protected]
to ***************
date Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 10:56 PM
subject Re: BeautyChoice.com - 20% Off Everything Sale
mailed-by srs.bis.na.blackberry.com
hide details 10:56 PM (1 hour ago)

F*** yahm

Jordan Blum, President, BeautyChoice.com

>from BeautyChoice.com <[email protected]>
>reply-to [email protected]
>to *****************
>date Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 4:20 PM
>subject BeautyChoice.com - 20% Off Everything Sale
>mailed-by beautychoice.com

Seems that for some reason they send from [email protected] but the reply to goes to [email protected]

I didn't attack the company or anything but asked rather rudely I admit to be removed from the mailing list. Does that mean a company president should directly tell a customer who is obviously irate about being on a mailing list to go f&$K yourself when asking to be removed???

They should have never added my email without indication or permission in the first place!

I myself have held customer service positions over 10 years in different industries, including telephone operator for The Department of FairTrading - similar to The Better Business Bureau and I have never ever sworn at or called a customer a name no matter how irate or rude a customer has been.

Firstly if she took any offense at my reply to be removed from the email list, she shouldn't have her email as a direct reply to a 'newsletter'.

Secondly as the highest representitive of the company she has cussed a customer directly where there was no need to, just simple remove the customer from the mailing list and appologize.

I'm glad I never did business with them in the first place and never will now.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
In most of the Newsletters I receive there is always a link to unsubscribe or directions how to unsubscribe on the bottom.

:yes:

I don't condone what happened to you, but honestly you get back what you put out in the world. Since you said you've worked CS positions before I would think you'd be slightly more understanding when things aren't taken care of straight away, or at least look for the correct process for unsubscribing.

I don't get why the president got your e-mail, or why (s)he chose to use the f word, or what "yahm" even means. I wouldn't get too bent about it, though.. if you never want to hear from them again just add their e-mail addresses to your spam list and that should be the end of it.

I agree with the others in the fact that it was very unprofessional and the president should not have responded to you in that way, however I understand it does get very frustrating from a site owner by numerous people not reading directions on how to unsubscribe. I have been the owner of a website where I sent out newsletters once a month to about 30,000 people and you would be surprised that at least 5 people a month would respond to the email instead of just clicking unsubscribe. Its much more work for a site owner to have to look up your info and unsubscribe/delete you than you just doing it yourself.
I think if you had handled it better by not cursing at them to begin with since you didnt follow directions, you may have gotten a better response.
However, I'm glad to know the info on this site now to know to never sign up with them, but mainly due to the spam, not the response.
Hope you can get unsubscribed. If not, the next best thing would probably be to just block that email address in your email rules so it automatically gets deleted.

Well I try to unsubscribe to things via the link that is usually at the bottom of the emails - admittedly plenty of marketing groups try pretty hard to hide that link in really tiny print. If that didn't work, I'd just add the sender's address to my junk-mail list that way all the emails would go directly to my SPAMbox and I never have to see them.

Personally I would never send an email like you did, I used to be a lawyer and you just don't send stuff in emails that you wouldn't be happy to have printed out and read in court.

Unprofessional response from the president of the company? Absolutely. However, if you choose to send an unprofessional e mail, then you might expect to get the same thing in return. Typically, that's not even the way to unsubscribe (by sending an e mail) because as others have mentioned, there is usually a link to unsubscribe. Karma sucks sometimes...

This only confirms my decision not to order a GHD frm them was the right decision.

I've heard so many horror stories abt this co, and not to my surprise, the prez is an a-hole!

I'm w you OP.

Unprofessional, but earned and deserved. :rolleyes:

As Emerson said, "fine manners need the support of fine manners in others." As a rule, I am never sympathetic when a rude person complains about rudeness, no matter which end it started on.

It's nice to think that, as the president of the company, this person should dutifully shrug off tactless rudeness...and in an ideal world, that would be true. But we are not in an ideal work, and this sounds like a situation of two people who very much deserved to be bothered by each other. :P

Civility is underrated. If you randomly curse someone out, it is not wholly unforeseeable that they might cuss you back. Just sayin.

They were wrong to send you the email but generally, I don't recommend randomly cursing people out.