Does this sound about right? Guidance appreciated!

itzme

O.G.
Nov 4, 2006
Hi again,

I listed an item on Craigslist and prefered a cash and carry only sale, as it's safer for both me and the buyer. However, I received an email from a man to buy a bag from me to say that he was interested. I replied back to ask him where he would like to meet. Today he emails me saying that he can only pay by money order or check at the moment and will make arrangements to pay it later. These are his exact words:

Great,I will pay your asking price.On the other hand I will make
payment by money order/check as its the only way I can pay you at the
moment.I will make arrangement for pick-up after payment have been
received by you. I dont mind adding a little extra 10 dollars for
inconveniences. Please keep it in my favor.

Kindly reply with your full name,cell phone number,and address where
payment should be sent.Please take the posting off craigslist today
and consider it sold to me.
Expecting to hear from you soon.
Regards

(name)

How does all this sound to you? Should I proceed with it? I'm having a feeling that it is too good to be true, but if he does send me a check, then I can wait for it to be fully cashed into my bank before meeting him to give him the bag right? What should I be wary about? Thanks for any input!

Man, that is a tough one. One issue is that if his check bounces, the bank could charge you a fee for that.

I dont see why he cant pay cash as he would need it for a money order?

I would say go with your instinct and say cash only and keep it listed.

I suspect it is a scam -- here's $10 extra? Yeah, right. The MO will be for MORE than the agreed price, you will be expected to give back the difference, and when you find out you've been scammed, you'll be out your item, your money, AND the money you gave back for the overpayment. Stick to your terms. And don't get into a debate. Just a polite e-mail saying "I'm sorry, I must have cash."

This is a scam through and through. If you do a search you'll see that many others, myself included, have received similar or word-for-word emails from scammers. Delete and ignore!!

Thanks everyone! I knew my gut wasn't kicking in for no reason! I sent him an email stating I will take cash only and we can meet up to save both of our time. I'll see what he has to say. I don't have much hope for this one. But we'll see!

Hi again,

I listed an item on Craigslist and prefered a cash and carry only sale, as it's safer for both me and the buyer. However, I received an email from a man to buy a bag from me to say that he was interested. I replied back to ask him where he would like to meet. Today he emails me saying that he can only pay by money order or check at the moment and will make arrangements to pay it later. These are his exact words:

Great,I will pay your asking price.On the other hand I will make
payment by money order/check as its the only way I can pay you at the
moment.I will make arrangement for pick-up after payment have been
received by you. I dont mind adding a little extra 10 dollars for
inconveniences. Please keep it in my favor.

Kindly reply with your full name,cell phone number,and address where
payment should be sent.Please take the posting off craigslist today
and consider it sold to me.
Expecting to hear from you soon.
Regards
(name)

How does all this sound to you? Should I proceed with it? I'm having a feeling that it is too good to be true, but if he does send me a check, then I can wait for it to be fully cashed into my bank before meeting him to give him the bag right? What should I be wary about? Thanks for any input!

This is 100% a scam - it's always the same letter more or less - disjointed English, bad grammar and they always say that last line "Please take the posting off Craigslist/Ebay/Ad site today and consider it sold to me." There is a difference between a scammers letter and that of someone who just speaks English as a second language - the scammers always use a similar template.

If you're ever unsure stick to your guns Try not to let the prospect of a sale get in the way of your policies. You want cash and a meet up? Then this is the only way you'll make a transaction and really it is the only way with Craigslist. Anyone who ever offers more money for "inconveniences" or "as a favour" or any other reason is out to scam you. You'll also find as soon as you say, no, money and meet up only, your "buyer" will disappear off the face of the earth.:smile:

What a shame. I hate that people are always out there trying to steal from folks.
Keep your bag on the site and wait for your real buyer to show up.

Agree with everyone. That's one of the more popular scams :tdown:

Yeah, more than likely when its signed-
Regards- its a scammer.

Really?! I always end my messages with something like "Best regards, ..." Is that not a typical thing to say? English isn't my first language so please let me know if that is too "scammer-y" :Push: