I can't make up my mind... :(

UCDChick08

O.G.
May 29, 2008
Hi everyone,

I visited the Chanel store nearby today and was planning to get a classic caviar flap in small size. Then I saw this Cambon Tote bag (with black double CC) which was perfect for me because of the size and how it would be a great every day bag... So I bought this instead of the classic flap.
But I'm not so sure about the purchase...
I've always being in love with the Cambon collection ever since it came out a few years ago. I thought the collection has been discontinued so that’s why I never considered of getting one before I visited the store.
I'm not so sure about this purchase because this is actually my 1st Chanel bag and I thought it'd make more sense if I actually got a timeless flap bag since it's the classiest piece from Chanel. Also I'm worry that the Cambon collection would be out of the style in another few years (or maybe it already is)..
I'm not sure what to do right now. (Maybe I'm not ready for a Chanel bag?) After seeing the small flap bag today, I think it is a little too small for my needs so I’m not really considering it anymore – I also tried the medium and the jumbo… They didn’t look good on me at all.
I'd feel sooooo bad if I bring it back and return it because that SA was super friendly to me and she actually spent a long time on this transaction... *sigh* What do you all think about this..?
Sorry if it was a long story.. And thanks for reading this.

hmm...I don't think that the Cambon will go out of style soon because it has been around for a few years already. I used to have a Cambon Pochette and I loved it because it was so easy to match and I always got TONS of compliments. The Cambon line has been discontinued so it is really hard to find in stores now!

I agree that the small flap is too small for everyday and I really like the medium size because i think its perfect for everyday use...it is a classic Chanel piece but it is also a piece that you can buy all the time. So I would say keep the Cambon if you really like it because you probably won't be able to find another one in the boutique but pick whatever you prefer and think you would use the most.

My first piece of advice is going to be don't worry about the SA. This happens all the time. It is a lot of money to spend, and people sometimes have second thoughts on their choices. (I would tell her how wonderful she was in helping you and you are sorry to cause her any trouble, but that's it!)

Now on to your choice. I personally don't love the cambon, but I wouldn't be worried about it going out of style in a few years. I love having bags that aren't sold anymore--they are always the ones that get the most attention from people!!

But, I am sensing in reading what you've written that you are really hesistant about keeping it. The bags that I have to talk myself into are very often mistakes for me. They are ones that sit in my closet. For the kind of money you are spending it would be so much better to come home and be thinking "I love this bag!"

As far as the medium flap goes, my advice would be to wait and think about all this a bit more. The flap (or one just like it) will be there when you make up your mind. Again, it is a lot of money to spend and you should be really happy with your purchase.

When I bought my medium flap I was convinced that it was the perfect size and once I got it home and started using it I decided it is a bit small. The inside flap really cuts down on the room in the bag. I rarely use mine, but just my jumbos a lot.

Anyway, good luck on your decision!

Well, I have a Cambon bowler and I love using it because I have plenty of space and it's a great everyday bag, not too big, not too small, great to go shopping with a pair of jeans and black Cambon flats. I get a lot of compliments as it's still in perfect shape (seems it does not scratch easily, mine at least doesn't) and I don't believe it's out of style. Some boutiques in Paris still sell the black Cambon large tote with patent CCs. You have plenty of time to get a timeless classic, I got mine after I got the Cambon bowler and don't use it as much/as easily as the Cambon. Now I'm gonna go jumbo, as the Medium is definetely too small for me for an everyday use (depends of course on what you carry on a daily basis), so my advice would be to keep the Cambon and start saving for a timeless :P:P

When I bought my medium flap I was convinced that it was the perfect size and once I got it home and started using it I decided it is a bit small. The inside flap really cuts down on the room in the bag. I rarely use mine, but just my jumbos a lot.

Wow, that's exactly how I felt. I have always wanted that Medium flap soooooo badly, and once I got it home, I realized it was definetely too small for me. So now I plan to get a jumbo, and I'm sure once I'll get one, whatever colour it may be, I probably won't use my Medium flap a lot anymore.

The Cambon black tote is actually posted in the "classic" section of Chanel's website. So Chanel itself considers that's a classic instead of seasonal.

Secondly, I think you should go for the one you think you can use more often as your first Chanel. You can only get the value from the bag by using it. The mini classic may look very cute but you won't have much opportunities to use it. But once you are ready for the 2nd Chanel, you may then consider buying this one for special occassions where the Cambon tote is not suitable in those occassions.

Unless you love it, return it. You shouldn't be thinking about what you "should" have, but what you want and what suits your needs. Go into the boutique and try on a PST or a GST or a Medallion, or any other styles you may like and see if you love them. The Cambon is not going out of style any time soon, but it has been counterfeited a LOT. You are spending a lot of money and should love what you buy and not be hesitant. Don't worry about the SA. She didn't pay for the bag, YOU did.

I agree, if you don't LOVE it. You should bring it back. The SA will understand. Plus Chanel SA's have really give really good customer service (based on my experience). So I wouldn't worry.

Some girls on the forum regret their Cambon tote purchases so I don't know if you'll still like yours after awhile...

I'd TOTALLY go for the black caviar flap in small...I have one and I ADORE it.....:love:

The Cambon black tote is actually posted in the "classic" section of Chanel's website. So Chanel itself considers that's a classic instead of seasonal.

Secondly, I think you should go for the one you think you can use more often as your first Chanel. You can only get the value from the bag by using it. The mini classic may look very cute but you won't have much opportunities to use it. But once you are ready for the 2nd Chanel, you may then consider buying this one for special occassions where the Cambon tote is not suitable in those occassions.

ITA very good advice.

I have the Cambon tote. Not one SA in Chanel has ever raised an eyebrow at me still using it and I only get compliments from friends, relatives and strangers.

It really is a very useful bag and the leather handles don't rub at my good/delicate jackets like my Chanels with chains.

Unless you love it, return it. You shouldn't be thinking about what you "should" have, but what you want and what suits your needs. Go into the boutique and try on a PST or a GST or a Medallion, or any other styles you may like and see if you love them. The Cambon is not going out of style any time soon, but it has been counterfeited a LOT. You are spending a lot of money and should love what you buy and not be hesitant. Don't worry about the SA. She didn't pay for the bag, YOU did.

'They' only counterfeited the Cambon because it was so popular (and with a certain age group that tend to by fakes) BUT YOURS IS NOT FAKE (sorry for shouting Vlad)

The only thing to think about is the aesthetics of the bag and it's usefulness to your lifestyle

The medallion is a nice bag true.

Dont worry about the SA - if you trade up and get the classic flap that's more commission for them.

If you're questioning the Cambon, you should probably return it.

Thank you all for reading this and giving out suggestions.

Yeah.. I don't think I should keep the bag after all because I do have doubts about it and I do not want to regret later on.
Now the hard part would be.. I have to bring this back to the store and I don't know what to say when and if I see the SA :sad:

Anyways.. How much are PST and GST right now? I think that might be something I should consider if I want a Chanel tote bag. Otherwise I can always go to Louis Vuitton and pick up a Totally tote.

Last edited:
I dont know the exact prices but there's a sticky under the Chanel Shopping subforum! Call current worldwide prices or something (I would look for you but Im at work and I can never see pictures at my work computer for some reason).
I know that the PST is a really good deal compared to other Chanel bags, and it fits a lot more compared to a small flap :smile: And they're classics too!
I always feel bad returning stuff to SA's too, or not buying something even if they arent pressuring me at all. Maybe its because I used to work in retail too? Who knows! Good luck with your decision! :smile:

'They' only counterfeited the Cambon because it was so popular (and with a certain age group that tend to by fakes) BUT YOURS IS NOT FAKE (sorry for shouting Vlad)
Yikes! I come in peace!! I was merely pointing out that the Cambon is/was popular and it was counterfeited a great deal - a cursory glance at eBay would confirm this. I wasn't having a dig at the bag or the OP, so no need to yell. I was offering an opinion.