I never ever smile but I have smile lines (pics of my lines inside)

jackie100

O.G.
Jan 17, 2007
I am 31 now and I noticed I have smile lines (marionette lines) even though I NEVER smile, not even in pictures!! I'm a very non-smiley person. I hardly ever smile. I also hardly ever smiled as a child or teen. People would always tell me I look "pissed off" etc. I never smiled at all much and yet I still have them.

And please don't tell me smile lines build "character" or make a person look "friendly" and "approachable". I don't care about appearing friendly or approachable or having much character either...

I just want to get rid of the lines!

Here is a picture of me and my lines, I drew arrows at my lines

lines2.jpg

and here is another one where the lines look even more prominent

lines3.jpg

Are "fillers" such as restylane and juvederm the only way to get rid of this?

I want to get rid of it so that the area above is completely smooth when I don't smile. As you can see I am not smiling in the pics but there are still lines.

Does anyone also know what may have caused these lines because I was never a "smiley" person, not even as a child or teen. I never smile in photos either. I don't smoke. Is it just a natural progression of aging?

If I loose weight in my face will that make the lines look less prominent or even more noticeable?

Last edited:
To me it looks like you have pretty cheeks and that's why the lines are there. I don't see anything wrong with them.

Do you think so? Is it because my cheeks are round and is that the reason why all the "weight" of my cheeks is making the lines more prominent? Could that be a reason for the lines?

I don't want any lines on my face though. I admit I'm vain. If anyone knows solutions to get rid of them I am all ears.

i think you're overstressing yourself about this. i see absolutely nothing wrong with your face, or the "lines" youre obsessing about. if it bothers you that much, you can go and try to get it filled by a derm, but they might talk you out of it. and if you lose weight, it may help this problem, but it may also cause something else to appear, who knows.

i think you body changes many ways after 30, from metabolism slowing down to gravity, aging, etc. the best thing to do is to not worry about these things. if you can't, then maybe talk to a doctor, but be prepared to have other things to start bothering you too.

Does anyone also know what may have caused these lines because I was never a "smiley" person, not even as a child or teen. I never smile in photos either. I don't smoke. Is it just a natural progression of aging?

If I loose weight in my face will that make the lines look less prominent or even more noticeable?

Well... I assume you do talk and eat right? If you are moving your mouth in any way, the lines will eventually appear. You can try anti-aging creams, but the surest way the lines will be less noticeable or completely gone are either dermabrasion (will make them less noticeable) or fillers (completely gone) such as restalyne. Or if you want to be extreme you could have a mid-face lift, which will pull up your cheeks and reduce that line between your cheeks and mouth.

Losing weight in your face usually makes you look older. Basically, it's almost impossible to get rid of those lines permanently. Just embrace them! You don't look old at all, like another person has said, you might just be overstressing!

Well... I assume you do talk and eat right? If you are moving your mouth in any way, the lines will eventually appear. You can try anti-aging creams, but the surest way the lines will be less noticeable or completely gone are either dermabrasion (will make them less noticeable) or fillers (completely gone) such as restalyne. Or if you want to be extreme you could have a mid-face lift, which will pull up your cheeks and reduce that line between your cheeks and mouth.

Losing weight in your face usually makes you look older. Basically, it's almost impossible to get rid of those lines permanently. Just embrace them! You don't look old at all, like another person has said, you might just be overstressing!

Yea, it's probably from eating and talking. I can imagine what it would be like if I smiled throughout the years, would probably be worse.

I will look into dermabrasion and fillers right away. I definitely want to get rid of these lines. I'm sorry but I don't want to embrace them, I am going to the derm and looking into injections.

What I find strange though is that I have NO lines around my eyes at all but only around my lips. Some people will have lines around their eyes but not their lips.

For example Kim Kardashian (she's only 3 years younger than me), I can already see lines around her eyes in high-resolution papparazi shots. My eye area is smoother than hers. But she has NO smile lines at all. Even though I'm sure she smiles a lot more than me (for pics and such) and I never smile even in real life yet I still have smile lines. Strange how that works out.

Same thing with Paris Hilton too, she has more wrinkles around the eyes than me but no smile lines!!

Do you think it's mainly from talking/eating or could it be because of my big cheeks? I am actually very petite (I'm 4ft 11" and weigh 90 lbs) but I have big round cheeks for some reason, it's my bone structure. Could that be "weighing" down my face and causing the lines?

Last edited:
If you're only 90 pounds, I can't see how you could lose weight and still be healthy. Your bone structure is what it is, and is also determined by heredity, so if prominent wrinkles run in your family then you might get them too.

Don't bother comparing yourself to Kim Kardashian, she probably has the best doctors and gets facials and other treatments more than once a month. A regular average person cannot expect to look like her.

Personally I think the lines in your face make your cheekbones more prominent. If you smooth out those lines you will have less definition in your face.

It's because of how your face is shaped, particularly because you have high and rounded cheekbones (WHICH IS GREAT!).

With regards to Kim, that's a totally different shape to begin with - so you can't compare.

If you're only 90 pounds, I can't see how you could lose weight and still be healthy. Your bone structure is what it is, and is also determined by heredity, so if prominent wrinkles run in your family then you might get them too.

Don't bother comparing yourself to Kim Kardashian, she probably has the best doctors and gets facials and other treatments more than once a month. A regular average person cannot expect to look like her.

Personally I think the lines in your face make your cheekbones more prominent. If you smooth out those lines you will have less definition in your face.

Well, I'm asian and I have a very small build... I don't even diet or exercise... 90 lbs is my natural weight. It sounds skinny but it really isn't because I'm 4ft 11". I have really small bones naturally. Except my face of course, I have huge cheeks from hell for some reason.

Here's a body shot. I don't look unhealthy, I'm just built this way naturally. All I do is eat all day and I'm very sedentary. I work from home and sit in front of the pc all day. I don't even take walks etc. I just can't help that I'm small. My dad is small too so I think I got it from him.

body.jpg

If I actually started to exercise and eat healthier I would lose weight everywhere and hopefully in my face. I don't know if that would help the face wrinkles though or make it worse.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I think you may be stressing over this too much. You seem to be suffering alot of anxiety about this issue - perhaps you should see a plastic surgeon or dermatologist to discuss your options. However, those fixes may be temporary and you will inevitably age, like everyone else does. I don't think you could lose more weight healthily - you could possibly exercise or tone up, but I don't think dropping more weight would help much. Also, you might want to talk to someone about your fear of aging. I know everyone probably fears aging, but it eventually happens, especially since you are in your 30's. In all honesty, you will see more of a difference in your appearance in your 30's and should learn to accept that process.

With all due respect, I think you may be stressing over this too much. You seem to be suffering alot of anxiety about this issue - perhaps you should see a plastic surgeon or dermatologist to discuss your options. However, those fixes may be temporary and you will inevitably age, like everyone else does. I don't think you could lose more weight healthily - you could possibly exercise or tone up, but I don't think dropping more weight would help much. Also, you might want to talk to someone about your fear of aging. I know everyone probably fears aging, but it eventually happens, especially since you are in your 30's. In all honesty, you will see more of a difference in your appearance in your 30's and should learn to accept that process.

I agree with everything you said but I don't think it's such a big deal to get fillers injected... Tons of women also get plastic surgery and botox. Personally I don't see anything wrong with it. Of course I realize that it is inevitable that I will age but there's nothing wrong with a bit of help from a derm or some shots or some surgery along the way :smile:

Yea, it's probably from eating and talking. I can imagine what it would be like if I smiled throughout the years, would probably be worse.

I will look into dermabrasion and fillers right away. I definitely want to get rid of these lines. I'm sorry but I don't want to embrace them, I am going to the derm and looking into injections.

What I find strange though is that I have NO lines around my eyes at all but only around my lips. Some people will have lines around their eyes but not their lips.

For example Kim Kardashian (she's only 3 years younger than me), I can already see lines around her eyes in high-resolution papparazi shots. My eye area is smoother than hers. But she has NO smile lines at all. Even though I'm sure she smiles a lot more than me (for pics and such) and I never smile even in real life yet I still have smile lines. Strange how that works out.

Same thing with Paris Hilton too, she has more wrinkles around the eyes than me but no smile lines!!

Do you think it's mainly from talking/eating or could it be because of my big cheeks? I am actually very petite (I'm 4ft 11" and weigh 90 lbs) but I have big round cheeks for some reason, it's my bone structure. Could that be "weighing" down my face and causing the lines?
It's natural to start getting those lines and yours are very, very faint. Kim and Paris make a living on looking perfect, they have to look like living dolls, and they are no strangers to their dermatologists/surgeons offices. Kim, in particular, just did something under her eyes and she looks like a young child in that area.

So far, you still look very young and fresh faced to me.

I agree with everything you said but I don't think it's such a big deal to get fillers injected... Tons of women also get plastic surgery and botox. Personally I don't see anything wrong with it. Of course I realize that it is inevitable that I will age but there's nothing wrong with a bit of help from a derm or some shots or some surgery along the way :smile:

ITA. I don't think there is anything wrong with fighting the aging process if it makes you feel better. I was just a bit worried since I sensed alot of anxiety/stress in your post but I could be misreading you.

I think you are being hard on yourself but if it's stressing you out, check out fillers. I would also make sure to wear sunscreen daily. Also, do you smoke? Like others said, it could be the shape of your face. If thats the case though, there is a difference maybe what you have is just the crease where skin falls, not actually a wrinkle.