Why has Dooney & Bourke seems to have fallen out of favor with buyers??

just flipping through and saw your question,,, ive never liked the older styles,,,, "mom carried em all the time" but im really into the new chiara bags,,, and ive recently purchased both the zebra and leopard med chiaras and i absolutly love em!!
W-T-F??? ~~ is this an aging sign??? i dont know,,, but im usally a kooba,, hh,, lp ,,, botkier,,,, etc bag fan,,, and these recently caught my eye,,,, now im in search of a bright pink or red or purple patent DB wallet,,,, go figure,,,, i just never know whats going to strike me next!!! anyone else out there diggin new dooney & bourke???

I remember my grandmother carrying D&B. They made a brief comeback when I was in highschool and they came out with the colorful bags with the colorful D&B monogram on them.

I think handbags have become such a status symbol that D&B have just fallen behind.

I liked them when I was younger and then really didn't like them, especially when they seemed to be targeting the younger teen market with a lot of the printed designs. I only recently purchased a D&B again. It is an AWL Crescent Tote in a grass green color. I have to say that I really love it. It is a great size (large), I love the front pockets, and it does not scream D&B. The color is wonderful and the bag is not overly heavy for being made of such thick leather. The straps stay put on my shoulders. It's everything I could want in a quality leather bag. I have no complaints about it at all. I guess I should put this comment in my own pleasant surprises thread!

If D&B made more bags like this, or like the Florentine Vacchetta leather line, which I also admire, I'd buy their bags again. With the exception of LV, I prefer bags that do not scream their designer name.

I like some of their bags, but what i dont like is the random silver square on the front that says D&B ...like on the tote bags and patent leather bags. idk it bothers me so i havnt bought any

I agree with you Louiebabeee. My bag has that square logo. It is normally covered by my arm when I'm carrying it, but if there is one thing I'd like to change about the bag, it's that. I know designers put permanent tags on their bags purposely, but I do so prefer the ones that have removable hang tags.

I think when they started making the bags with multicolored logos, bees, doodles, hearts, etc. it really wasn't done in a tasteful way and was just so different from the AWL style D&B customers were used to. These bags started showing up everywhere, including places like TJ Maxx, and this led to D&B being perceived as a cheaper brand, something more on par with brands like Fossil, Nine West, Liz Claiborne, etc. I'm not saying it is in that category, but that's what many people would place it in and that leads to the bags being less coveted and more like something people will pick up on sale or at an outlet.

when i was in high school a few years ago it was really popular with girls in my school...do high schoolers still use it? my first purse was a DB...it was the hearts one it was really tiny. i still have it for sentimental value. i also have a HUGE pink zebra dooney and bourke that i use for my school bag or weekend trips. i love it for that purpose, it's really cute.

Because many fashionable ladies don't really want to carry around a bag with popsicles on it? I think some of their designs were whimsical and cute but much better suited for accessories rather than bags. And, on the flip side, many of their bags border on matronly.

The everyday fashionista doesn't want to look like a 10 year old nor an 80 year old...

That said, I think DB does make some FABULOUS bags at times, great selection of colors and I like the shapes of multiple bags they make!

just flipping through and saw your question,,, ive never liked the older styles,,,, "mom carried em all the time" but im really into the new chiara bags,,, and ive recently purchased both the zebra and leopard med chiaras and i absolutly love em!!
W-T-F??? ~~ is this an aging sign??? i dont know,,, but im usally a kooba,, hh,, lp ,,, botkier,,,, etc bag fan,,, and these recently caught my eye,,,, now im in search of a bright pink or red or purple patent DB wallet,,,, go figure,,,, i just never know whats going to strike me next!!! anyone else out there diggin new dooney & bourke???

I love the med. chiara bags myself. I want the pebbled leather one also I like the quilt collection med. chiara bag. The bag looks like it has a lot of function and it's really cute. I like Dooney and Bourke.:smile:

this is just hilarious to me....I remember when the dooney all leather weather came out and I *loved* them...Ihad a few, they wore very well and lasted for years....

I think that today, as someone pointed out earlier, bags are status symbols, which frankly makes me want to barf. The way highschool girls wear coach or (fake) chanel, and think that these items are disposable just makes me cringe..

You're probably thinking I'm old and grouchy - I do love bags...but I tend to be a one bag girl...I want one bag that I just love and wear until i get sick of it (usually a couple of years) or it wears out...for years, I loved coach, and then coach went way too trendy. I like classic, understated bags with a twist of something different. Lately, that's been LP bags for me, but I have only one I carry all the time. It's big, so i want a smaller bag, but anyway, back too DB...

As much as I can't stand coach, they did a phenomenal job of rebranding and revitalizing their brand. No longer is it associated with yankee frugality and classic style - however, I think that it also lost a lot along the way (ie, manufactured in china, cheaper made bags, etc.)

I think DB tried to do the same thing, just wasn't as successful.

Not trying to insult anyone who has other view points, I just don't like bags that scream look at me and I cringe at the way so much seems to be disposable to people today...

i think it is a little too broad a stroke to say that this brand has fallen out of favor with buyers - instead of some buyers. they have a couple of lines of bags like the one above that does not scream dooney and bourke as soon as you see it because it is not covered in the initials. their leather is very,very good and i love their bags. now the grafica i can do without because i don't need or want things like popsicles or candy all over my bag. but i can appreciate it because i see girls and women carrying them and i like that they have something for everyone! we don't have to like everything they produce! even LV has made some bags that i have seen and wondered what in the world was the person thinking when that design was created!