anyone know what a USPS "sort facility" is???

bag-princess

Spoiled Princess
O.G.
Jun 17, 2007
i won a bag on ebay last week - thursday. the seller shipped friday and gave me a delivery confirmation number. she is in florida - i am in mississippi. the info shows this morning that it was processed in a sort facility in NEW YORK! :confused1: i have never seen this term used before.
i just wondered why it would go that far out of the way!

That happened, I have two instances that the packages were sorted and sent across the country. Those packages did made it to the buyers but they took a few days longer, both were sent Priority Mail.

A sorting facility is where the mail goes after you leave it at the PO. There are machines that sort stuff by zip codes etc. This is where the mail carriers sort out and prepare to deliver mail.

the fact that it is in new york would make me think that she possibly sent you the wrong delivery confirmation # (maybe she mixed two up?)...or the item was not in fact in fl, but rather out east somewhere...i can't imagine the post office sending an item up to ny from florida just to be sent back down south to mississippi

It happens a lot that they send it the wrong way. If I mail something in Palm Beach that is supposed to go to Miami (which is south of me) and then I track it, it will be way up north in Jacksonville, FL and then they send it from there. I don't get it. They waste so much gas mailing stuff the wrong way.

The last bag I sent from AZ to CA ended up at a sort facility in NC! To add insult to injury, I requested signature confirmation and the USPS system never updated the info past the sort facility. If my buyer wasn't honest I would have never known she received the bag.

Just because a sort facility is far away, it doesn't necessarily mean it's getting you any slower. I think it was FedEx that first realized that mail can be sent much faster if you send everything to just a few hubs and then to its intended location. USPS does make mistakes, but I'm pretty sure almost all packages get sent quite far away to a hubs to get sorted initially.

The last bag I sent from AZ to CA ended up at a sort facility in NC!

omg!!!!!!!!!:wtf: i thought mine was bad!! :graucho:

the fact that it is in new york would make me think that she possibly sent you the wrong delivery confirmation # (maybe she mixed two up?)or the item was not in fact in fl, but rather out east somewhere.

no she is in florida - that i do know.

Last edited:
I also buy a watch at eBay, shipped on December 16 and once I checked at USPS.com it says :

Class: First-Class Mail International
Service(s): International Letter

Your item was processed through our JAMAICA, NY 11430 facility on December 17, 2011 at 10:06 pm. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.