Workplace Working at H&M. [Looking for insider experiences or tips.]

so cal rhema

Jun 11, 2009
I recently applied to and turned in my resume at an H&M store very close to where I live. They are looking for someone to work part-time.

Not only do I really want to work for H&M, but I'm in desperate need for a job. I must come clean though, I haven't been employed ever. BUT, that does not mean I don't have the desired skills, although I'm probably sure that not having held a job before I stand a higher percentage of being rejected for the job.
During my High School years, I was president of the Travel Club, volunteered as an office aid, tutored elementary school children, and volunteered for the county library. All of which required some form of communication, organizational, leadership, and teamwork skills.

So I came here for any kind of help, this seems like the only forum where I would be able to receive tips or guidance for getting the interview at H&M. Or just any tips for actually getting and interview or the job are welcome as well.

Right now I'm mostly focusing on how I can be considered for an interview. I was thinking of walking in the store and talking to the manager and introduce myself. But I don't know if that would be more effective than calling in for a follow up.

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated. This is my last resort to clear up any questions. So please respond if you have more experience than me. Thank you! And sorry for the long post. I hope its in the right forum.
:sos:

-so cal rhema

Definitely ask to speak to a manager and SELL yourself. Although Im busy working all the time, I missed retail like crazy. I walked into a store 2 days ago, asked to talk to the manager and SOLD SOLD SOLD. I wouldnt shut up ! lol. I got the job on the spot, no interview, nothing. In fact, the majority of the jobs I have worked in my life I got on the spot by giving a good impression. And if you dont get a call back within about a week, you can still do a follow up.

What I do when I speak to a manager is make your weaknesses shine. Because you know the manager will see those weaknesses. So take any doubt out of their mind before they can even think of a question that may make or break the deal. Your weakness is never having held a job. So when you are speaking to them and they are looking over your resume, play off those weaknesses. The important thing to do here is be straight forward instead of hide that, because you want to be able to talk about it. But list some good points about yourself first. For example:

"Hi there, my name is ____ *shake hand* and Im looking for a part time position here at H&M. *pass along resume* (Briefly tell them what you're looking for).. "Im looking for a position as ____ (or any position) a few days a week."

Start to go into what type of a person you are, why you would be perfect for the position or what your best qualities are. But remember, keep it brief in case the manager does not have the time of say. Then you should sell the fact that no, you've never had a job but these are the reasons why you would be perfect for it. Dont be afraid to say "No, Ive never had a job.." BUT.. you HAVE had lots of volunteer experience, you are a fast learner, you have a passion for fashion, you know what important customer service is, you're a people person, you are looking for a position in which you can grow, ect. Make them believe you know what you're talking about when it comes to retail. These are good ideas for interviews obviously too. But first impression is everything.

Some managers will only let you get a few words in, some will sit and listen. So play out in your head what you're going to say and go from there. And obviously remember to go dressed for the job, smile and put some enthusiasm into it ! Good luck !

Definitely ask to speak to a manager and SELL yourself. Although Im busy working all the time, I missed retail like crazy. I walked into a store 2 days ago, asked to talk to the manager and SOLD SOLD SOLD. I wouldnt shut up ! lol. I got the job on the spot, no interview, nothing. In fact, the majority of the jobs I have worked in my life I got on the spot by giving a good impression. And if you dont get a call back within about a week, you can still do a follow up.

What I do when I speak to a manager is make your weaknesses shine. Because you know the manager will see those weaknesses. So take any doubt out of their mind before they can even think of a question that may make or break the deal. Your weakness is never having held a job. So when you are speaking to them and they are looking over your resume, play off those weaknesses. The important thing to do here is be straight forward instead of hide that, because you want to be able to talk about it. But list some good points about yourself first. For example:

"Hi there, my name is ____ *shake hand* and Im looking for a part time position here at H&M. *pass along resume* (Briefly tell them what you're looking for).. "Im looking for a position as ____ (or any position) a few days a week."

Start to go into what type of a person you are, why you would be perfect for the position or what your best qualities are. But remember, keep it brief in case the manager does not have the time of say. Then you should sell the fact that no, you've never had a job but these are the reasons why you would be perfect for it. Dont be afraid to say "No, Ive never had a job.." BUT.. you HAVE had lots of volunteer experience, you are a fast learner, you have a passion for fashion, you know what important customer service is, you're a people person, you are looking for a position in which you can grow, ect. Make them believe you know what you're talking about when it comes to retail. These are good ideas for interviews obviously too. But first impression is everything.

Some managers will only let you get a few words in, some will sit and listen. So play out in your head what you're going to say and go from there. And obviously remember to go dressed for the job, smile and put some enthusiasm into it ! Good luck !

Wow! Thank you for your very detailed response. I will definitely take your advice. I'll have to make some lists and practice with a friend.
Thank you so much! :yahoo:

Make sure you are super confident, they will want someone who can go up to random people and get to know them right away and sell.
Thank you KarraAnn, I will need to practice a bit, on the confidence part. Since this is my first time actually really looking for a job I'm kinda shying away from being persistent. I don't want to come off as too pushy but at the same time I really want the job. :biggrin:

H&M was my first job when I was in high school. I had no work experience whatsoever and they hired me. I worked there for a year and a half, some of it full time and some of it part time. PM me if you have any questions.

And as far as getting an interview, I don't know about how busy your area is but they call back every applicant in my area, even the ones who didn't meet their criteria (such as being too young). It's because they have a very high turnover rate and they like to hire as many part timers and seasonal staff as possible to cut on costs for full time workers. It was fun while I worked there but I will warn you that it's a very physically and mentally exhausting job. The hours aren't so great either.

By the way, going into a store to talk to the manager to score an interview probably won't work. In SoCal, H&M has an area office that takes care of reviewing applications and conducting interviews. All you can do is be patient. I also recommend that you apply online because online applications get processed quicker than applications turned in in person.

If you pass your first interview, there will be a second group interview. I can't tell you what happens but it's fun (and a little nerve wracking). :P If you do well in your group interview, then they call you back for the job offer.

One last thing, there's not really any need in selling anything for the job. The product sells itself. H&M is really looking for people who work well with others, as well as being self motivated, rather than someone who can push products onto consumer. When you're on the sales floor, customer service skills are important, but it's very important to emphasize your ability to work well in a group. That's why they conduct a second interview. It's to observe how well you work with people. That's one thing I really liked about the job, was the fact that there really was no pushing products onto people. You don't get paid based on commission or anything and you don't get a bonus for high sales. They don't even pay attention to things like that. It's just a job that pays by a hourly salary.

Oh, I see, that's really helpful information. Thank you for your reply Archipelago. I turned my application more than a week ago now. And they haven't called back, but I believe the position is still open.

I just came back from an interview at Hollister, and I thought I did pretty well, while the rest of the group rambled on their answers. But after the interview I noticed that the interviewee made check marks next to all of the people that rambled in their answers. He left mine and another boy's blank. This other boy seemed to know what he was talking about as well. Do the check marks mean anything?
Although I'm pretty sure I didn't get hired for Hollister.

H&M was my first job when I was in high school. I had no work experience whatsoever and they hired me. I worked there for a year and a half, some of it full time and some of it part time. PM me if you have any questions.

And as far as getting an interview, I don't know about how busy your area is but they call back every applicant in my area, even the ones who didn't meet their criteria (such as being too young). It's because they have a very high turnover rate and they like to hire as many part timers and seasonal staff as possible to cut on costs for full time workers. It was fun while I worked there but I will warn you that it's a very physically and mentally exhausting job. The hours aren't so great either.
hi archipelago,
i wanted to apply to H&M, however in their website it didnt show exactly where to send the resume to for part-time sales. do you know where to send it to? thankss

hi archipelago,
i wanted to apply to H&M, however in their website it didnt show exactly where to send the resume to for part-time sales. do you know where to send it to? thankss

Scroll to the bottom of the page and there's a link under Corporate Info.
I worked for H&M for 3 years so feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

hi archipelago,

Yep. What LovesYSL said. :smile:

http://about.hm.com/us/workingathm__career.nhtml

You can also go into a store to fill out an application. It'll give you a chance to talk to a manager and ask some questions about the location you're interested in working at.