The stress is killing me...did I make a mistake?

blue996

O.G.
Sep 11, 2006
Hi Everyone,

I am going through one of the most stressful situations in my life and I need to vent. To be brief:

- I work for a consulting firm and I had to move to a new city for a year to work with a client.

- My contract is almost up and I don't want to move again. My client wants to hire me and I want to work for them.

Sounds easy? Nooooo...

- My firm had the client sign a contract (common practice) stating they would not try to hire me for 12 months unless they pay out a HUGE fee.

-My client said they have little or no money to pay out (they are a charity). My firm said they would try to come up with a fair penality that was lower, and then they asked it I would move again for them. I said no (really to prove my point and stress how much I wanted to stay) and they asked for my resignation letter effective the end of Jan 07 (when the contract is up).

Now I am in limbo...waiting for them to come up with a settlement or not. If not I'm out of a job.

Was this a dumb move? Or by quitting am I being true to what I really want? Hopefully it works out and I get to work for my client but I hate not knowing!!! I am trying to prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

Well, your question is "did I make a mistake"? There might not be a clear "right or wrong" answer here..just a best move that you let play out to see what happens. Often, when we follow our heart it feels "wrong" so we assume we made a mistake. Good decisions can feel yucky. I say hold your ground and the client will probably come up with a way to get you..good luck!

Well, your question is "did I make a mistake"? There might not be a clear "right or wrong" answer here..just a best move that you let play out to see what happens. Often, when we follow our heart it feels "wrong" so we assume we made a mistake. Good decisions can feel yucky. I say hold your ground and the client will probably come up with a way to get you..good luck!

^^^Really good perspective on your situation^^^

I hate those clauses. My younger son's company tried that and he's in a field where the non-compete thing could be interpreted so broadly he wouldn't be able to work for anyone! He refused to sign, knowing he was a critically impt. employee (small firm) and they backed down.

Best wishes for a satisfactory outcome. I am completely sympathetic with your desire not to move again, at least right now.:flowers:

Thanks boxermom and Irishgal. I ddin't expect this to happen so I hope my firm will be reasonable. I realized that I don't want to work to make profit for someone else (the partners) and I'd rather work for a non-profit like I did before. I'm sure it will be okay. I just read in the paper that my province has a shortage of 15,000 workers so I can always take another job and weigh my options if I have to.

Good decisions can feel yucky

I want this on a brass plaque on my office wall. Or at least on a t-shirt!

The firm has nothing to lose, nothing else - they will, as you say, lose you anyway, and if you quit, it will be more difficult for them to make a stink about the non-profit hiring you. Theoretically they could, but it might end up costing them more to pursue it than they would wish to spend.

I have always found that crappy situations like this end up turning out even better than I think they will. Good for you for sticking to what you really want! You'll get it and more!

Cheers!
Pippi

It's hard to say. If the charity has no way to avoid paying your firm it may be tricky. If it comes down to it are you willing to do one more contract for the next year? If not will it be hard for you to find work? Good luck. I hope your firm can negotiatie something with you. The problem is your firm makes a lot of $$ off you and may not be flexible. But your happiness is too important. I hope things work out. Keep us posted.

I have always found that crappy situations like this end up turning out even better than I think they will. Good for you for sticking to what you really want! You'll get it and more!

Cheers!
Pippi

ITA, sometimes the hardest things have turned out the best.

I had a calander once that said, the biggest rewards come wrapped in the hardest situations...so, so true.

Good Luck :smile:

There's not much that you can do now, except wait and see what your current firm says. The agreement you signed is standard, and I think we can all understand and appreciate why it was there and why you had to sign it. The question is whether your current firm will give you any wiggle room -- that is, give the charity a break on the penalty (in whole or in part) OR overlook the agreement altogether.

And as I understand it, whether or not you remain with your current firm, the charity is not allowed to hire you for a period of 12 months or else your current firm can sue either or both of you and the charity. I would not recommend trying to go around this by working indirectly for the client because you could get yourself into legal hot water!

All of that being said, I think you should go ahead and hold your ground. However, you have to be prepared to not work for EITHER your current firm or the charity (if the current firm accepts your resignation and refuses to nix the agreement). So start thinking about other options just in case. Perhaps the charity can put you in touch with other like employers? I hope it works out well for you.

- My firm had the client sign a contract (common practice) stating they would not try to hire me for 12 months unless they pay out a HUGE fee.

-My client said they have little or no money to pay out (they are a charity). My firm said they would try to come up with a fair penality that was lower, and then they asked it I would move again for them. I said no (really to prove my point and stress how much I wanted to stay) and they asked for my resignation letter effective the end of Jan 07 (when the contract is up).

I have to say, though, a reputable employer wouldn't try to go back on their agreement. I'm surprised the charity said it wanted to offer you a job even though it signed the agreement! Seems weird... Especially in light of the fact that they know they don't have the money to pay the penalty! :confused1: