Books & Music What's your favorite book? All Genre

Jane Eyre.

:yes: Me too. I'm beating myself up over the fact that I lost my copy. UGH.

To Kill a Mockingbird is another great one.

I read The Great Gatsby about a month ago. I liked it, but I enjoyed Tender Is the Night more. . . although I read that two years ago when I was 13, so I'm going to have to re-read it. I just remember it being so strange but also intriguing and beautiful.

My favorite book ever is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It has nothing to do with Motorcycle Maintenance and everything to do with Zen, QUALITY, life, the meaning of everything... every time I read it my soul grows. It's amazing. (Note: I majored in English and I highly recommend any other English or Philosophy major read this if you haven't already.)

Same goes for *anything* by Ralph Waldo Emerson and other transcendentalists involved in early American literature. I like Ben Franklin's stuff on Deism and Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" - that pamphlet change the political landscape of our country and it's *amazing* how the words STILL apply today!

Someone mentioned The Importance of Being Earnest - LOVE everything by Oscar Wilde!! Love any Jane Austin as well.

My favorite books for *entertainment* are all of the books by Phillipa Gregory (The Virgin's Lover, The Other Boleyn Girl, etc) pertaining to King Henry VIII and his various wives... love historical fiction.

I also dig all the Vampire Chronicals by Anne Rice and the Twilight Series kept me amused. And Jenna Jameson's autobiography was pretty entertaining also. Oh and I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max... I read a chapter aloud to my boyfriend everynight before bed and we almost freaking died we laughed so hard.

I could keep going: Memoirs of a Geisha, Room With a View, Brave New World, 1984, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil,... all fun and good for the soul

I wasn't a fan of Catcher in the Rye (don't hurt me) but one of my all-time favs is Nine Stories by Salinger. Also, I liked Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities

Less "classic" books I like include Ayn Rand, and Kurt Vonnegut, especially Cat's Cradle.

It's been years since I read it, but I really loved "An Instance of the Fingerpost" by Iain Pears.

Four different characters give their version of the events surrounding a murder in the mid-1600's

I think anything Orwell will always be my firm favourites although at the moment I'm very taken by Capote's 'in cold blood'. Couldn't decide which is number one out of those.

Wow, this is hard!!!

Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card
Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaleel Husseini (also Kite Runner was fabulous)
The Red Tent, Anita Diamant

Honorable Mentions: Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden), The Eight (Katherine Neville), the Outsiders (SE Hinton), Harry Potter series.

- Les Miserables (complete/unabridged edition) by Victor Hugo
- Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
- Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter
- A History of Mathematics by Carl Boyer

the picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and Crime and Punishment by Dostojevski...many many more of course but these came to mind when reading the question

Kat