Ikat

Ikat is a type of fabric. :yes:

From wikipedia:

Ikat

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Ikat weaving from the Island of Sumba, Indonesia

Detail of a classic Gujarati patola from the early 19th century. LACMA textile collections.

Ikat abr, silk and cotton, mid-19th century, Uzbekistan. Smithsonian collections.

Ikat, or Ikkat, is a style of weaving that uses a resist dyeing process similar to tie-dye on either the warp or weft before the threads are woven to create a pattern or design. A Double Ikat is when both the warp and the weft are tie-dyed before weaving.
Ikat means "to tie" or "to bind" in the Malay language and has the same root as the words dekat ("close"), lekat ("to stick"), pikat ("to catch") etc. The word Katt has the same meaning in all of the south Indian languages but there may be no relation. Through common usage, the word has come to describe both the process and the cloth itself. Ikats have been woven in cultures all over the world. In Central and South America, Ikat is still common in Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador, Guatemala and Mexico. In the 19th century, the Silk Road desert oases of Bukhara and Samarkand (in what is now Uzbekistan in Central Asia) were famous for their fine silk Uzbek Ikat. India, Japan and several South-East Asian countries have cultures with long histories of Ikat production. Double Ikats can still be found in India, Guatemala, Japan and the Indonesian islands of Bali and Kalimantan.
Like any craft or art form, ikats vary widely from country to country and region to region. Designs may have symbolic of ritual meaning or have been developed for export trade. Ikats are often symbols of status, wealth, power and prestige. Perhaps because of the difficulty and time required to make ikats, some cultures believe the cloth is imbued with magical powers.

It saw the IKAT today in the boutique. I told the SA I thought it was "strange"; she grinned and said it was "different". I wasn't really impressed. I thought the purse would have a sheen or shimmer. It doesn't at all.

It saw the IKAT today in the boutique. I told the SA I thought it was "strange"; she grinned and said it was "different". I wasn't really impressed. I thought the purse would have a sheen or shimmer. It doesn't at all.
I know what you mean, I'm on a teter toter about this bag...
spi15.gif

I really wonder what the bag feels like? I hope my Boutique has this bag already, I would love to check it out. I'm not liking the style though, but gah, damn my curiosity.

The ikat pattern is very interesting though. I love the metallic sheen to it. But the overall style isn't for me.