Evelyne GM3 Strap Problem - what to do????

toniec

May 11, 2008
Oh wise ones I come to you for advice.

For those who have followed the Ode to Evelyne thread you may recall me after my first day of wearing my new Evelyne GM3 with the adjustable strap making note of my strap which kept readjusting on its own while I was wearing it. I took it into the store the next day and they looked at it said it was fine, gave me a tip on where to wear it and in a casual comment did mention they had heard of a few issues. I decided to give it another try and figured it would sort itself out. It has now been well over a month and it is driving me crazy!!! My adjustable strap NEVER stays where I put it -either as I am wearing it or when I am taking it on and off it lenghens on its own. I know from that same thread that a few owners have also had the same problem.

I do however love my new bag and I specifically got it because the non-adjustable straps were just too short for me so this model seemed perfect. I have also since discovered that when I really shorten the strap it makes for a great shoulder bag so I love the versitility.

I purchased the bag on a business trip to Vancouver and I don't expect to be heading out there for awhile.

SO - what do I do?
  • Should I take it into my store in Toronto (I have never really bonded with a particular SA although the assistant manager generally recognizes me) and see what they say?
  • Should I ask for a new strap?
  • Should I ask for my money back?
This is the first time I have ever been this unhappy with such a new purchase at Hermes so I am just as dissapointed as I am unhappy.

Thanks in advance for all advice and thoughts!!

I apologize in advance if it takes me awhile to respond to everyone's comments I am having internet problems at home and things are more crazy at work than normal right now.

<b><font color=&quot;darkorange&quot;>new Evelyne GM3 with the adjustable strap making note of my strap which kept readjusting on its own while I was wearing it. It has now been well over a month and it is driving me crazy!!! My adjustable strap NEVER stays where I put it -either as I am wearing it or when I am taking it on and off it lenghens on its own. I do however love my new bag and I specifically got it because the non-adjustable straps were just too short for me so this model seemed perfect. I have also since discovered that when I really shorten the strap it makes for a great shoulder bag so I love the versitility.

I purchased the bag on a business trip to Vancouver and I don't expect to be heading out there for awhile.

SO - what do I do?
  • Should I take it into my store in Toronto (I have never really bonded with a particular SA although the assistant manager generally recognizes me) and see what they say?
  • Should I ask for a new strap?
  • Should I ask for my money back?
This is the first time I have ever been this unhappy with such a new purchase at Hermes so I am just as dissapointed as I am unhappy.

Thanks in advance for all advice and thoughts!!

<i>>

T--Sorry to hear of the problems w/ the strap.Hmmmm...(thinking)....well, 1st, should address the 3rd option: nah! after wearing the bag for over 1 month, wouldn't even consider returning it. Since u still luv the bag, take the strap back to H and c if they can offer a remedy. Maybe they could place a toggle or buckle so that it won't slip? (but it would probably reduce the adjustable range, but so what? it would stop slipping and that's what driving u zaney.)that's about all I can offer, since I don't own Eve. Eve owners will have better solutions. HTH!

Thanks sac-a-main.

I figured the return was pretty unreasonable but thought I would put it out there. I would be willing to settle with less flexibility if I knew I could count on a consistent length.

T--maybe u could go back to the shop again, talk w/ the manager, explain the situtation, and ask for a customized strap? seems like it would solve the problem and you'd be able to use the bag often.best of luck and I hope some Eve owners will offer other solutions too.hang in there!

Toniec, the only thing I can think of is to stitch the folded area together or the buckle (on mine it's only one that slides too easily) to the strap to maintain the length you prefer. The problem is that the buckles are rounded and polished so there's no edge to "catch" the strap and keep it from sliding. I find that the "preferred" spot for the buckles is at a length that is perfect for messenger and okay for shoulder wear, so it doesn't bother me as much anymore.

Thanks- I appreciate both of your advice. Now that I have gotten use to the flexibility of the bag as a messenger and shoulder I would hate to give it up. I want it all but hey, that is always my problem.

ouija board - I will try your suggestion and see if there is length that I can settle on that works for both. I had never considered that!

I'd go back, order the custom long strap and have the adjustable strap shortened to the shoulder one, so eventually you'll have two straps! (I had to order a longer strap and it was well worth the wait to have it fit the way I wanted it to.) Even if you do order the longer strap, you'll have the short one in the meantime. If you want to save $$$ though, you can have them reuse your hardware and you'll be without a usable bag (unless you twilly up a handle or something) while you wait. Good luck with your choice!

When you say your strap slips, is it in a matter of minutes of wearing it, or does it take longer. Mine does have slippage but its barely noticeable, maybe after a few days I might need to shorten it a little. And I've noticed that if I pick it up in a certain place the strap will slide. So I've learnt not to pick it up there. It does sound like yours might be excessive though and I wouldn't be happy with that. I think you should take it back and try to demonstrate to them what its really like. Good luck, I feel for you as this is a really great bag. And you should be able to enjoy it without this problem.

littleblackbag - I was hoping you might jump in - I know you have the same bag and love it. It slips almost immediately after I put it on - I am talking within 5 min and not just a little but to the point that I can't reach my bag when before I could easily put my hand in and get something out! It would be managable if you could then readjust but the only way I can readjust is to remove the bag and set it down and adjust - its a real pain!!!

I too have learned how to pick it up to avoid the slippage when taking it on and off but when you buy a "grab and go" bag - which is what I thought this would be - it is frustrating.

Thanks for all the advice ladies -as always this forum is such a great place for support and good ideas! :heart:

Any idea what a custom strap costs these days?

I'd go back, order the custom long strap and have the adjustable strap shortened to the shoulder one, so eventually you'll have two straps! (I had to order a longer strap and it was well worth the wait to have it fit the way I wanted it to.) Even if you do order the longer strap, you'll have the short one in the meantime. If you want to save $$$ though, you can have them reuse your hardware and you'll be without a usable bag (unless you twilly up a handle or something) while you wait. Good luck with your choice!

It sounds like a design flaw to me, and I'd ask for a credit. You've discussed it with the store once without resolve. I would guess one of the reasons you bought this purse is because of the adjustable strap......and it's not working properly.

Talk to the manager of your store.

Definitely take it back to the store and speak with someone in charge. Even if you have had it for a month, it sounds like a design flaw and nothing that you have done. Take your receipt and hopefully they will be very sorry to hear of your problem and do whatever they can to make your bag work for you.

Toniec, the only thing I can think of is to stitch the folded area together or the buckle (on mine it's only one that slides too easily) to the strap to maintain the length you prefer. The problem is that the buckles are rounded and polished so there's no edge to &quot;catch&quot; the strap and keep it from sliding. I find that the &quot;preferred&quot; spot for the buckles is at a length that is perfect for messenger and okay for shoulder wear, so it doesn't bother me as much anymore.

Toniec,
just thought to revisit to see if Eve users chimed in--great ideas, all of them.

===> OB's remedy is the voice of experience, and IMO, the quickest solution.

u could also bring the stap to the shop again (2nd time?) and propose a remedy such as a buckle or other to stablize the strap. It would take time though and no guarantee it would solve the problem, which I gather, Hermes is aware of, and which you have already pointed out to your shop a month ago. Actually, as I write, I don't like a buckle--it would catch on your clothes.

Hmmmm....If you decide to take the strap to the shop, here's a better idea that I think they could do and hopefully, you could talk them into not charging you a wad o cash:

(a) Bring the strap to the shop. This is your 2nd visit about this strap slippage problem. Make that point very clear to them, i.e., this strap is not working as it should.

(b) Propose for them to place 1 or 2 snaps in strategic points. (it will reduce the adjustability of the strap, but as OB points out, there is a length that is a happy medium).

If they don't agree or if it takes too long, then I'd go back to OB's solution and continue to use my bag. In fact, perhaps you could even sew-in a couple of snaps or hook/eye on the inside of the strap, to prevent it from slipping.

What I don't like overall is that this is an expensive handbag, and you're having to doctor it up to solve a problem. And, the problem seems to be that because the buckles on the strap are of such high quality (rounded, smoothed edges instead of cheap punched-out metal), the canvas slips through easily. So, eventually, with more use, the strap is bound to slip.

Barring any re-design or discontinuing the adjustable strap, the fallback IMO is still OB's quick fix solution. Hope u find a good remedy, or even a cure for this strap problem.

Last edited: