Travel Suggestions for Tokyo and Osaka

meganfm

O.G.
Oct 14, 2008
So on a whim I've decided to go visit some friends in Tokyo/Osaka next month-I was there a couple of years ago and so I already did most of the "touristy" things. I'm trying to think of some other things to do while I'm there (I'll be in Osaka for 3 days and Tokyo for 1wk).

Here's what I've already done:

Tokyo: Shopping in Harajuku/Shibuya, park/museum at Ueno, photo museum at Ebisu, temple at Asakusa, Omotesando Hills, Tokyo tower (day)

Osaka: HEP5, Osaka castle, ****ennoji shrine, Umeda Sky building, Dotembori shopping, aquarium

I wanted to go clubbing and go to an onsen, but my friend in Tokyo is pregnant so obviously she won't be able to do those things. I heard Tsurumi Ryokuchi park in Osaka is really beautiful-is it worth the stop?

Any other ideas?

I've been to both Osaka & Tokyo (spent most of my time in Tokyo & only 1 day in Osaka).

One suggestion I have for Tokyo is the fish market but go early so its less busy. Shopping in Ginza is expensive and you can better sales/deals in the US. If you do happen to be at a department store in Tokyo, visit the basement - there are grocery stores there and it is very well organized.

It sounds like you have a very busy, jammed packed schedule. Have loads of fun!

^Yeah I know not to bother with designer goods. I'm only planning on making a stop in Aoyama to visit the Vivienne Westwood store-since they have japan-only items :P I can't get over the price of designer goods in Japan! It's outrageous!

I've been to both Osaka & Tokyo (spent most of my time in Tokyo & only 1 day in Osaka).

One suggestion I have for Tokyo is the fish market but go early so its less busy. Shopping in Ginza is expensive and you can better sales/deals in the US. If you do happen to be at a department store in Tokyo, visit the basement - there are grocery stores there and it is very well organized.

It sounds like you have a very busy, jammed packed schedule. Have loads of fun!

i second tsukiji fish market- you have to be early though, i think we got there around 5.30-6am. but in a way that's good because after you've gone around the market then grabbed some breakfast you still have a whole day ahead of you.

if you've already done alot of stuff in osaka, maybe look into kyoto or nara? they're both nearby on the train- infact if you get the keihan line it takes you straight from osaka to kyoto within around 30-40mins and is quite cheap. there's plenty to do there. nara is around an hour away i think, worth a visit if the weather is pleasant to go see the deer park and visit the temples.

btw if you love a bargain, go to america-mura in osaka and visit a shop called kind. i guess they have them in tokyo too but i'm not sure of the locations, the osaka one is in triangle park. it's a thriftstore for high end goods- but being japanese, second hand goods have practically no value. i got a coach bag for 9000 yen (£45 at the time), and when i opened it, the dustbag and cards were inside it, it had never been used. i've also picked up a lot of chanel jewellery there too, never paying more than £55- for a pair of cc clip on earrings. they have lots of louis vuitton, chanel, hermes bags etc at way below retail in pristine condition. www.kind.co.jp/amemura

^Hmm I might ask my friend about Nara-she was suggesting Kyoto but I spent the day there last time I was in Japan. But I hear Nara is beautiful. And thanks for the suggestion of Kind!

Just got back from Japan and I third the fish market suggestion. The National Museum in Toyko is worth seeing - IDK if the Cartier exhibit is still going on there, but that's pretty neat and fashion related too :smile: Doesn't sound like you've been to the imperial palace yet there either.

I thought Osaka was skippable personally since it's like most other larger cities. I'm surprised you found that a day in Kyoto was enough... I could have spent a week there! Agree that Nara is a nice stop if you haven't been.

Have you stayed at a Ryokan or done a Japanese bath? Those are 2 awesome things I loved on my holiday.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I also don't really want to start another Tokyo one. So I'll take my risk here. :smile:

Can someone comment on the best train route from NRT to the Shinjinku station? I've read the NEX works best ? Any difficulty with other lines? I don't want to have to do the hotel bus so appreciate any input.

Have you stayed at a Ryokan or done a Japanese bath? Those are 2 awesome things I loved on my holiday.[/quote]

I too suggest the Ryokan! We stayed in one in Kyoto -this an experience you would not get elsewhere. It was a bit pricey but well worth the $$.

I also wanted to see a Sumo match but it was the wrong time of the year when we went (we tried to do things that we could not do in North America)

christine - NEX is the best route to Shinkjuku - it has a direct route there from NRT. See attached link for more info.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/

christine - NEX is the best route to Shinkjuku - it has a direct route there from NRT. See attached link for more info.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/

Thanks! I guess the difficult part of me wonders how hard it would be to xfer in Tokyo station to Shinjuku? English signs or conversing with ticket agents, either at NRT or Tokyo station?

I want to replicate, at least on the inbound, a typical Tokyo travel experience.. but don't want to get completly lost!! lol. Or at least have a good idea as to what to look for. If you've been through Tokyo station, any comments would be appreciated. Other than that I will probably be on the NEX to Shinjuku.. I won't be on the ground for more than two days. tia!

I'm not sure how helpful I will be when it comes to Osaka, but I can definitely help you with Tokyo sightseeing. I think you've covered a lot of bases already, so I will just suggest a few things that other people might have left out that might be of interest to you.

-Ghibli Museum in Mitaka City, Tokyo (I'm not sure how familiar you are with Miyazaki's movies (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke)) -- I would definitely recommend that you visit this museum if you are a Miyazaki fan and loved any of his movies. You do have to buy tickets from abroad, but still it is definitely worth the trip there.

http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/ticket_information/

-Meiji Shrine (near Harajuku) is definitely a spot that I would recommend that you visit. I noticed that you haven't done the historical sight seeing part of Japan. It's literally right next to the Harajuku station in the middle of metropolitan Japan... which is all the more amazing. Literally, one minute you'd be walking on the main streets of Harajuku and Omotesando and then all of a sudden you'd be surrounded by this peaceful nature.. which is so unexpected and beautiful.

- Ginza: My mom says that Ginza is one of those old rich uppercrust cities that have a long history as compared to areas like Roppongi (which is a very new rich popular district). You can definitely find a lot of shops, amazing food and restaurants that have been operating for over 300 years.

- In Ginza, I would recommend the Kabukiza theater, which is home to the Kabuki Japanese theater performed in traditional garb. What I would recommend for tourists who can't speak Japanese is to purchase a "hitomaku" (one act only) ticket so you can get a taste of Kabuki without feeling the pressure to stay the whole time in a $200 plus seat. You can purchase a "hitomaku" ticket for $20 and sit in the nosebleed section to watch one act and leave without feeling obligated to.

Let me know if you want any restaurant recommendations! I hope this helped.

Sorry for hijacking your thread but I don't think I should start another Japan travel one. Can anyone please inform me about the weather in Tokyo for mid-end of September? Many of the travel guides that I have read say that the temperature is cooler in September but I've been checking weather.com and the forecast predicts thunderstorms and temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to low-80s. I leave in 2 weeks and I am having trouble deciding what kind of clothes to pack. TIA! =)

I regularly visit Tokyo in September or early October. September in Tokyo is quite warm. You may require a light jacket in the evenings, but not during the day. If you are travelling further north, the weather may be a bit cooler. You can pretty much count on the Kanto plain being warm. Tokyo is very humid, so can feel much hotter than it actually is.

I regularly visit Tokyo in September or early October. September in Tokyo is quite warm. You may require a light jacket in the evenings, but not during the day. If you are travelling further north, the weather may be a bit cooler. You can pretty much count on the Kanto plain being warm. Tokyo is very humid, so can feel much hotter than it actually is.

Thanks for the info, Horsetrader! Does it rain a lot too?