I got sent a tiffany fake!!! *cries* !!!!

bibliophile

Newly obsessed
Mar 27, 2008
Oh God I'm so so upset right now. I bought the large silver Elsa Peretti open heart necklace cos it was such a good deal. And from a jeweller with good feedback ratings no less. So I went to Tiffany today to get it cleaned and they told me they couldn't cos it was a fake!!!!!! I paid $160 for a fake!!!!!! OMG. :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=350183632809

I'm so so upset now. What am I going to do????? I'm about to message them to tell them that it's fake. I hope they bloody refund me my money :cursing:

Ok, I've opened a paypal dispute. God this is the first time I've had to deal with something like this. But they're jewelers for God's sakes!!!

I paid with a debit card unfortunately, so I can't ask the payment to be halted. ARGGGGGGGHHH

Ok the big issue is that I bought it from a seller in the states, and I got it sent to my mail forwarding service there which then sent it to me here in Singapore. Does that mean I won't be able to claim my money back???? ARGGGGGGHHHHH

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. In the future, don't buy Tiffany from Feebay. There are many more fakes than there are authentic pieces. And always pay with a CC, even if you are paying via PP.

yearh you're right plum :rant: it's just so so annoying! i mean, they're proper jewelers with solid feedback! but yeah, i should have listened to all the good advice here.

the seller has replied, telling me that i should send it back and get a refund. is there anything i need to do at this point to protect myself? is it as simple as just sending the necklace back??? will they automatically refund me the money??? (PLUS SHIPPING!?)

worse part is, i was so incredibly mortified at tiffany earlier, i ended up buying bean ear rings! how lame is that??? :s they're pretty tho

yearh you're right plum it's just so so annoying! i mean, they're proper jewelers with solid feedback! but yeah, i should have listened to all the good advice here.

the seller has replied, telling me that i should send it back and get a refund. is there anything i need to do at this point to protect myself? is it as simple as just sending the necklace back??? will they automatically refund me the money??? (PLUS SHIPPING!?)

worse part is, i was so incredibly mortified at tiffany earlier, i ended up buying bean ear rings! how lame is that??? they're pretty tho

Did the seller offer to refund you everything including shipping both ways? If they did then I would go ahead and send the item back (they have good feedback). However, if you don't feel comfortable, you can go ahead and file a SNAD claim with paypal and take it from there. If paypal ruled in your favor they will refund you the full amount but you will have to pay for the shipping charge to send the item back to the seller. Good luck!

Make sure you send it back with shipping confirmation in case he claims he never got it.

The necklace listed looks good, the problem is it looks like he has more than one of them which raises red flags to me.

Glad he agreed to a refund.

wow, the sellers has very good feedback and if i were you, i would assume things that he/she sells are authentic too. Sorry to hear what has happened to you. I hope things will be resolved quickly.

Make sure you send it back with shipping confirmation in case he claims he never got it.

oh ok. yeah i'll definitely do that on Monday. I really hope they agree to give me shipping as well. But I have over paypal messages from them saying that I'll get a full refund (I guess I'll have to send details on how much shipping costs? Is that how it works??)

Thanks so much everyone. My god, it was just so incredibly upsetting. A friend who was with me thought I was over reacting and it was no biggie, but argggh!!

maybe he was hoping u r one of those who cant tell fake from real

yeah i guess! sigh. when i first got it, i was wondering how come the edge of the heart was so thin and smooth (you know without the jutting out bit). but i assumed it was because it had been polished down before.

god, you should have seen the look on the tiffany sa's face when she told me it wasn't from them. sigh.

That's horrible! Please let us know the outcome!

I have come close to buying Tiffany on eBay, but something kept stopping me. It is almost impossible to tell real from fake with Tiffany. And it is a well known fact that the fake Tiffany on eBay greatly outweighs the real.

To give the seller the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he is fooled by some of the pieces he sells? However, when they have multiples of the same piece, it sure adds to the suspicion!

Sad!

Just looked at the link and there is not one single place where the sellers claim in their listing that it is authentic. You probably assumed just it was authentic, right? So sorry that they can do this. They really should not be able to use the Tiffany & Co. name if they are selling a replica. Did you report to ebay? There is a "report this item" at bottom of page. Check the counterfeits box, and if they get enough of their items pulled for being reported, they won't be able to keep selling. I also notice they say they will refund you money. That is because 1 out of 25 people might find out it's not authentic (like you did) and demand their money back.
When you send it back (I would call PP first if I were you and get the official way to do this), be sure and send it insured and with signature delivery confirmation so you can prove to PP that you sent it back and that sellers received it.

Last edited: