MJ Color-Block Damaged After 2 hours!

Apr 29, 2008
When I bought my white MJ color- block hobo at Saks, I couldn't decide if I should keep it or not. I did a lot of blogging on TPF, and in the end decided to keep it for spring.

Well, today, was a nice day so I finally broke it out. Because it's white, I was super careful not to wear denim. I was just running errands, so had on jogging type clothes. Outside for an hour, and there was color transfer on the bottom corner of the bag! I rushed home and dabbed water on it, and maybe the bag just isn't dry let, but now it looks slightly discolored.

The affected area is VERY slight, and on the bag's back, but I paid a lot and am upset. This shouldn't happen. The bag retailed for $1675 and is BRAND NEW. What should I do? I bought it at Saks and still have the tags and receipt, but it's over 60 days. Can I go to MJ? Or should I just sell it for MUCH less than I paid to someone who doesn't care?

What kind of discolouration is it? You could still try to wash it out (some people use baby wipes or magic eraser) but I'm not sure which ones are best suited for the leather on the colourblock bags. If not, and it bothers you that much, there are lots of buyers that would probably buy it with the defect...
Hope that helps!

What kind of discolouration is it? You could still try to wash it out (some people use baby wipes or magic eraser) but I'm not sure which ones are best suited for the leather on the colourblock bags. If not, and it bothers you that much, there are lots of buyers that would probably buy it with the defect...
Hope that helps!

I was wear black leggings and a fleece, which have both been washed and shouldn't rub off. I rested the bag on a counter when I was paying for something? Here's a picture. When the water dried, which took a while, it is hardly noticeable. It's just as tad darker. TPF'ers warned me that this would happen with a color block.... I could send it to Lovin My Bags, but if this happened after two hours.... and it bothers me, I am going to sell it.

Attachments

• IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 429
Sorry to hear this happens to you NYC. I am a newbie so I do not have experience with MJ bags. May be you could email Diego and ask for his advice? Perhaps water proofing the bag with apple leather guard might prevent further transfer in the future? I am sure some one will chime in. Good luck in whatever you decide to do NYC :hugs:

I'm a little anal with my bags. After walking around with it for two hours, there was dark color transfer from my black leggings. I came home and put water on it, which seemed to get rid of the black, but darkened that portion of the bag a bit. I'm just upset that the bag picked up color from cotton so easily. I know myself, so think I'm going to sell it. I wear a lot of denim and dark colors.

awww, i'm sorry that happened! :sad: you could always try going into saks and asking if there is anything they can do. i don't know if there is or if they will, but it's worth a try. :hugs:

this is exactly why i don't own a white bag.

awww, i'm sorry that happened! :sad: you could always try going into saks and asking if there is anything they can do. i don't know if there is or if they will, but it's worth a try. :hugs:
this is exactly why i don't own a white bag.

I had an inkling when I bought the bag, but it's just so pretty! I decided that I just wouldn't wear it with jeans. That's what damaged my Burberry bag last summer.... But if cotton will rub off.... Saks has always been wonderful about returns, but I'm past the 60 days... I guess I could try...

you've had this bag for a few months now, haven't you? i remembered your thread from awhile back where you were debating selling the bag and you had it up on ebay for a short time. i don't know that saks will be able to do anything for you at this point.

it's really not a defect of the bag. apparent stains and discolorations come with the territory of owning a light colored handbag. if it makes you feel any better, i can't see anything in your pic and i was scrutinizing it for a bit. if you're not comfortable with having to be delicate with it, i'd sell it. good luck.

I've successfully used baby wipes on my Dior Gaucho. I did a tiny little corner first as a test. When the leather was damp, it looked a bit frightening, however, once it dried, there was no damage or colour transfer left whatsoever. In my experience, MJ leathers are far tougher than the gaucho leather, although the gaucho wears visible scratches, scuffing and water damage well because it's quite a scruffy bag to start off with.

If you choose to do this, please do a test patch first!

Sorry this happened to you. I have to say that I can't really see any discoloration in the photo at all. But if it is going to bother you and prevent you from carrying the bag, then I say sell it. Trying to return to Saks when it isn't a "defect" with the bag (unless you consider that it is light colored a defect) doesn't seem like the right thing to do, IMO. Light colored bags are just harder to keep perfect, I don't think it matters what kind of leather or what brand.

I can't see anything in the picture either. But if it bothers you that much, I'd be concerned that you're going to get more marks on this white bag. You should probably sell it. I personally wouldn't have a white bag, esp an expensive one, partly for this reason.

I'm sorry to hear this. Color transfer is always a big bummer. Its happened to almost all of the bags I have that aren't gray or black. Luckily, its only happened on the back side where the spots are not as noticeable. I have a black Mika from this line and if I'm not mistaken the care cards suggest avoiding contact with moisture. The leather in these is very unique and in turn hard to clean. I'm not sure if leather cleaner would help, or make things worse.

you've had this bag for a few months now, haven't you? i remembered your thread from awhile back where you were debating selling the bag and you had it up on ebay for a short time. i don't know that saks will be able to do anything for you at this point.

it's really not a defect of the bag. apparent stains and discolorations come with the territory of owning a light colored handbag. if it makes you feel any better, i can't see anything in your pic and i was scrutinizing it for a bit. if you're not comfortable with having to be delicate with it, i'd sell it. good luck.

That was me! I couldn't decide, posted it to sell, and then changed my mind. I was able to clean off the black color transfer with water. The affected area is a "tad" bit darker than the rest of the bag, but hardly noticeable. I know myself and am going to sell the bag while it still looks new. I will mention the darkening in my auction, so fingers crossed it doesn't deter buyers too much!