Wrong PayPal E-mail Address

coachlover347

Aug 30, 2008
Hi All. I tried to do a quick search and didn't find anything about my questions, but sorry if it has been covered.

Anyways, I recently had to change the e-mail address on my PayPal account because my college account expired. I recently sold a bag on Ebay and didn't realize I hadn't change my PayPal e-mail address to the new one. It says the seller sent payment, but it is not showing up in my account (probably because it went to the wrong address). What should I do? Do I contact

a) The Buyer
b) Ebay
c) Paypal

or all of the above?

Thanks for any suggestions.

All of the above. Talk about a pain for the buyer. This happened to me as a buyer. The $$'s (not a small amount) were taken out of my PP through my bank account (instant removal from my bank) and then it showed up in PP saying the payment was "Unclaimed." I reversed it (taking another 3-4 days to get back the $$ into my PP account) When I contacted the seller, she sent me a new PP invoice and said that 1st one (the auction I won on ebay) had her old email address. There was NO WAY I was going to send her two payments, so I told her to change her address in PP. When I got the money cleared through my PP for the 1st tranaction, I would pay, but only through ebay/PP for the 2nd transaction.Anyway, you need to change your email address in both PP and ebay. If you just pay though PP you would not be covered through ebay.

If your old email address is invalid then it should show up as "unclaimed" in the buyers Paypal account. She can just cancel payment. Once you change your Paypal email to the correct one, send her a new invoice to pay.

If your old email address is invalid then it should show up as "unclaimed" in the buyers Paypal account. She can just cancel payment. Once you change your Paypal email to the correct one, send her a new invoice to pay.
Thanks for making a short story out of my L-o-n-g one!!!!:lol:

Just add that old account to your paypal account. If you had it there before it should be OK (or it might send an email to that old address and ask you to verify - if you can still access that account then do it.) Does that make sense?

Thanks for the advice. I don't have access to the old account, and had (stupidly) removed it from my e-mail list in PayPal. I will contact the buyer and have them cancel the transaction, then send a new invoice with the new e-mail address. Hopefully the buyer understands!

Have you called paypal? I have my old email still in my paypal account and it will still get $$. I dont get any emails, but the $ was still there for me when someone used my old account. I just had to go in and do something in paypal.

Just call them.

I tried to add my e-mail account back, but it will not let me confirm it since the account does not exist.

I had the buyer cancel her payment, sent her a new invoice instructing to send the money to my current e-mail. It looks like the money went back to the old e-mail. Is there any way to change this in the invoice? Is there an option to send to a different e-mail in the invoice? I am a little confused. Thanks for your help!

Isn't your email address still on your paypal account but your new email is the main/default one?

No...I had removed it when the old e-mail was deactivated. I will never make that mistake again.

Everything worked out well. The buyer paid me from the PayPal invoice and I shipped this afternoon.

Thanks for all your advice and help!