Crocodile Bag...feel funny wearing one in this economy?

lovehermes

O.G.
Apr 28, 2006
I need to know how you feel wearing your crocodile bags in this economy. :confused1: I am salivating over getting a shiny crocodile Kelly in a large size, but I live in a state where you don't run across anything as nice and our economy is in the dumps. :tdown: Any suggestions? :confused1:
Would you feel as though you were a target for remarks?

Well, I don't have one, so you can take my opinion for what it's worth.

I am a capitalist. If I worked for the money, I can spend it on whatever I want, no matter the economy. There will always be people who have more and people who have less. I won't live my life or spend my money based on what any of them think.

That said, you have to use common sense. I mean, I wouldn't show up to volunteer at a homeless shelter carrying a croc kelly, nor would I show up at the opera with a paper sack...KWIM?

Besides...when I was very young and totally POOR (I mean really poor) I enjoyed seeing people with nice things. It gave me incentive to work hard and it gave me hope that it was possible.

Okay, done. :biggrin:

I need to know how you feel wearing your crocodile bags in this economy. :confused1: I am salivating over getting a shiny crocodile Kelly in a large size, but I live in a state where you don't run across anything as nice and our economy is in the dumps. :tdown: Any suggestions? :confused1:
Would you feel as though you were a target for remarks?

I would be careful where I would wear it but I was before this present economy.

You shouldn't feel funny. If you feel safe, not in a shady place where someone may come rob you, then by all means wear the bag. There are also other designs that are embossed croc leather bags. :winkiss:

Hmm...giant croco bag...many people really suffering...maybe not for everyday with the general public...KWIM? Might be a little too "let them eat cake" ?

It all depends IMHO of your enviorment, just be conscience of where you are going and who will be there. I personally wouldn't bring it with me if I went to Target or Wal-mart, but For sure if I was going to a museum or for lunch.

Hmm...giant croco bag...many people really suffering...maybe not for everyday with the general public...KWIM? Might be a little too "let them eat cake" ?

i agree--i am hard line devotee to the life is hard, you work hard, earn money and buy what you want etc model BUT...........discretion is a virtue when others suffer

I have a small black matte croc Kelly that I like to use a lot.....it's perfect because it's very understated and most people really don't notice it so I feel comfortable wearing it. If, however, it was larger and shiny porosus I think I'd feel very self conscious given the state of the economy especially in my neck of the woods.

Hm, well wouldnt a regular Birkin bag for that matter be a little too much then too? I mean what is too much? Its still an $8,000 bag.

I try to enjoy my nice things but I must say, with the economy the way it is, it definitely is less fun.

JMO but since the OP is talking about purchasing a bag I think if you can afford it, and really want it, you should go for it. Think of all the people (not just Hermes) who profit from people buying these items. People are employed (SAs, craftspeople, etc.) and they in turn spend money at other businesses. The taxes on these bags are considerable and they in part go toward helping those in need. So I see it as a win-win. If people who have the means stop spending and companies have to let people go that doesn't really help anyone.
Just my 2 cents. I am really tired so sorry if I am rambling.:shame:

Last edited:
I have a small black matte croc Kelly that I like to use a lot.....it's perfect because it's very understated and most people really don't notice it so I feel comfortable wearing it. If, however, it was larger and shiny porosus I think I'd feel very self conscious given the state of the economy especially in my neck of the woods.
Thanks S'Mom I don't think the smaller Kelly would suit me.
Maybe a more discreet bag like a Croc Plume would be ok?