Cosmetic Newbie? Asian female get better result w/Asia Cosmetic/Skincare?

Oct 13, 2006
Greetings! I am a late bloomer for cosmetics (23, i can handle lipgloss and mascara so far..:shame: ), but have always wonder? Asia cosmetic/skincare(SK II, Kose, Shiseido, DHC etc)brand really works better than other brands (Lancome, Clinque, Chanel, etc) for Asian? :confused1: Most elder Asian ladies i know of swear by Japanese cosmetic line because the it's 'deisgn by Asian for Asian', and that other major brands' primary target is not Asian, thus it does not address to Asian's skin need.

The reason i am asking is because i am in the process of building cosmetic and skincare products, but would like to know if there's really a brand that's good for Asian? So far the products i have are:

BE starter kit from Sephora
Neutrogina-Facial Cleaner, Weightless Volume WP Mascara
Clena&Clear-Toner, oil blotting sheet
Aveda-moistrizer w/SPF 15
Kose-Medicated Sekkisei 360ml (it's a hand-over, do i apply before toner, or it's a toner already?)

I live in SA, TX, have skin type between comb and oil. Any input is a big help for me!
ps. i am still in school and work part time, so budget still is a big factor.:sweatdrop:

I'm an Asian living in Austria, short: I don't have that much to choose from. Anyway, I don't think the asian brands are really better, all you have to do is to find the right colors (especially when looking for foundations: MAC NC and C colors will definitely work. Chanel, Armani and Bobbi Brown also have some nice colors, depending on the foundation line, but there are countless other highend brands that will have some right shades). Well for things like e/s I stick to MAC because they have the brightes/craziest colors, if you wanna go natural/neutral there are also lots to chose from.

The only thing that could be better by Asian brands is the skincare.

I'm an asian living in london, and the answer to asian skincare being better for asian skin is completely bullocks. it's totally NONSENSE. in fact, a report came out about SKII...saying that after long periods of time and usage, the toxins and minerals in the SKII products can actually penetrate the skin and get into the bloodstream.

I like using Kiehl's, Clarins and Clinique. Kiehl's have a great range of face and body products..they do hair products as well. Clarins's products are really to die for, and i love the texture, scent and effects on the skin.

Cheers.

Hi! I'm an Asian living in Singapore & more often than not do business in Hong Kong. I'm not really a product junkie (hmm, maybe just a little) & my skincare system is pretty straightforward. I noticed that most Asian women put a lot of effort in terms of caring & looking after their skin & most of them really are big fans of Asian skincare products. SK-II, Shiseido & Kanebo are very big here but Dior, La Prairie & La Mer skincare products are pretty popular here too.

I have tried SK-II & Shiseido just to feed my curiosity. SK-II Facial Treatment Essence really makes my skin glow...so I'm happy about that. Shiseido facial wash & make-up remover is just about the same as any other brands that I've tried but that's just my opinion.

Here's what I've been currently using:

Kiehl's Supremely Gentle Eye Makeup Remover
SK-II Facial Treatment Cleanser
Benefit Honey Snap Out of It Facial Scrub
Mario Badescu Toner
SK-II Facial Treatment Essence
Juice Beauty Green Apple Antioxidant Moisturizer SPF15

I'm also a big fan of Kiehl's Body Scrub, Philisophy's 3 in 1 bath, shampoo & shower gel & Bliss body butter.

HYSTERIC

I'm with sw0pp, i'm an canadian-asian and i pretty much only wear MAC makeup - the best thing to do (it's what i did b/c i didn't have a clue before) was to sign up for a makeup consultation - where an artist does your makeup for free and all you have to do is buy one product or something along those lines (i think you have to spend like $50 which you probably would anyway..) But it's good b/c they spend a good hour or so with just you and explain what is best for you color-wise, application - all of that. So if you're looking for everyday they can help you out as well as concealing where you need it etc. etc. I can't recommend it enough - b/c it totally taught me how to put on makeup. It's best to book an appoint that's not a on a weekend or "heavy traffic day" so that the artist isn't distracted or will rush through you b/c they have other people to get to etc. (usually if you book it - they'll be exclusive to you anyway) AND they also give you a colour chart so you don't forget what they did.

there are also MACs everywhere around Canada, in department stores or standalones - so i'm pretty positive that there must be tons in the states and in your area. I've been using their studio-fix powder (foundation coverage in a power finish) for over a decade - it's light but it's just great. Once you have a base (MAC cosmetics) you can also play around with different eyeshadows (which i think are good ANYWHERE- so long asyou know how to apply it -with a brush) and lip glosses can be from other cosmetics lines.

i don't think products are specifically formulated for "asians" b/cif you look at the ingredients - they're all the same.

so yeah, my suggestion is go to MAC and stick with them. they're also very reasonably priced considering the high quality.

also check out Paula Begone's reviews - they're really helpful if you want to know about a specific product - Paula Begoun - The Cosmetics Cop - Paula's Choice

yeah! Thank you all for the input! I've never try MAC simply b/c i think it's a bit too dramatic for me-or it's just my stereotype? Will it be better to book makeup sonsultation w/the brand store (MAC) or w/beauty store such as Sephora/ Ulta? The only down fall is i have no defense when it comes to professional makeup artist tell me why their product is must have....i usually buy 3~6 things, but can't return them because i used it already.

As far as foundation, I am pretty happy with bare minerals now, because it's the only line i don't feel like wearing a mask after application, even Bobbi Brown's tinted moisterizer feels heavy for me. Now i am searching for a good skincare line, because i don't drink enough water..H2O's Oasais Moisterizer is pretty good also, but not so sure about their other product.

i like Bobbi Brown's tinted moisturizer. yes, i find that it DOES feel a little too heavy, but there's a trick to it. use just A DAB of the tinted moisturizer and dot it on your face. this helps to achieve an ever sheer-er coverage. also, you can use a foundation make up brush to apply the tinted moisturizer all over your face...remember to use your fingers to lightly stroke the surface of your face again, so as to avoid streaks on your face.

Hi! I'm an Asian living in Singapore & more often than not do business in Hong Kong. I'm not really a product junkie (hmm, maybe just a little) & my skincare system is pretty straightforward. I noticed that most Asian women put a lot of effort in terms of caring & looking after their skin & most of them really are big fans of Asian skincare products. SK-II, Shiseido & Kanebo are very big here but Dior, La Prairie & La Mer skincare products are pretty popular here too.

I have tried SK-II & Shiseido just to feed my curiosity. SK-II Facial Treatment Essence really makes my skin glow...so I'm happy about that. Shiseido facial wash & make-up remover is just about the same as any other brands that I've tried but that's just my opinion.

Here's what I've been currently using:

Kiehl's Supremely Gentle Eye Makeup Remover
SK-II Facial Treatment Cleanser
Benefit Honey Snap Out of It Facial Scrub
Mario Badescu Toner
SK-II Facial Treatment Essence
Juice Beauty Green Apple Antioxidant Moisturizer SPF15

I'm also a big fan of Kiehl's Body Scrub, Philisophy's 3 in 1 bath, shampoo & shower gel & Bliss body butter.

HYSTERIC

^ i LOVE kanebo products

from my experience, if a brand or a specific product works, then it works... i don't think it matters if it's an Asian brand, it doesn't necessarily mean it will work better than skin care products from Dior, Estee Lauder, Clinique, etc.

currently, most of my skin care productsare from Laneige and Missha, both of which are Korean companies. most of my makeup varies... i have urban decay eyeshadows, mac eyeshadows, nars blushes, dior lip glosses, and others.

Sigh..so it's more of trial and error type of thing because individuals have different opinion when it comes to cosmetic/skincare.

so far i just gave away all bobbi brown except lipgloss because it rubbs off, but hoping to stock up with the right selection during X-mas maddness sales. BTW, Benefit is having 20%off 11/10~11/25, check the code under Deal and Steal forum.