Is everyone into Designer bags?

I'm into low to high end bags, designer or not, as long as the attractiveness and quality is there.

On TPF though, it seems as if everyone is into designer bags only and recognizable ones at that, at least in terms of mentioning them! Just check out these threads; finding someone who even goes left field to mention a designer or brand that's not Prada or Gucci or Gerard or Ferragamo, etc. is like finding a needle in a haystack, literally! I.e. You'll find people polling you which bags to choose from or like and the options are ALL high-end/well-known designers. The Bag Showcase forum could very easily put up a sign that reads, "No Obscure Designer Brands Allowed" and it would fit perfectly.

However, when you inquire if anyone likes non-designer or low-end bags, you'll get a considerable number of responses otherwise. It's kind of odd, imo.

Last edited:
The quality of designer bags is so much better than that of non-designer bags, so in my opinion it's worth it to spend more money on them. I can't get my mom to understand that lol. I have non-designer bags, but most recently the ones I've bought for myself have only been designer, though I haven't yet spent more than $500 on one.

I used to buy designer all the time, but honestly, I still found myself finding imperfections with the bag eventually (zipper isn't as smooth, stitching becomes a bit frayed) or whatever it might be. Furthermore, I would just as quickly tire of the desinger bag and found myself shopping for yet another one.

Since I can't afford to buy LOTS of desinger bags, I now prefer to buy bags that are around $100-130. This way I can enjoy more bags!

I am into unique designs and natural materials after many, many years of wearing $25 purses from Ross because my addiction is jewelry not purses. I like tPF and reading about the purses now my upper limit is $150 (always try to buy on sale so not the retail but actual sale price) per purse, definitely trying to hold that line :lol:

The only purse I've ever had any hardware or zipper issues is a $325 leather hobo (lucky I bought it for less than that!) while my $25 purses never had a problem. like that! Quality to me is not tied to any logo or designer name especially after reading that book Deluxe!

My bags consist of Cole Haan, Adrienne Vittadini, Francesca Biasia, Antonio Melani, Gianni Bini, and the like, so not extremely expensive. I am not high end designer but like quality nice looking bags.

i buy whatever bag i really love and will get use out of. there are plenty of beautiful designer bags that are such eye candy, but not versatile or necessary to me. i actually feel great when i get a non-designer bag that i love, and sometimes i use them even more than the bags i lusted over for so long (like chanel) because they look good, not because they're inexpensive for daily use. i've bought a bag from target and one from sears that i've gotten tons of wear out of and still love because they look great to me for casual days.

This is an old discussion but still as relevant as ever. I agree with others that you buy what catches your eye and makes you happy.

To be honest, the quality advantage most people cite as a reason to opt for designer brands was a letdown initially. As much as I love them, my first experience with both Dooney & Bourke AND Louis Vuitton was a disaster. Those rainbow zippers D&B was using on their "It" bags are made of aluminum, which is relatively soft like a soda can, and a lot of them on the style I was shopping for didn't zip easily because all it took was for one tooth to get bent and the whole zipper tripped up. The Louis Vuitton experience ranged from flaps of torn leather on the handles straight out of the box to being heat stamped incorrectly.

Maybe it was that first impression to blame, but I don't see longevity as a primary reason for spending more money on designer vs. non-designer. Even if a particular bag is well made enough to last 20 years, will it still be in style 3-5 years from now? How many of us carry a bag that we bought 10 years ago? Personally, if the chances are good that styles will change and that the "life" left in my existing bags won't prevent me from going out and purchasing even more bags (LOL), then it really doesn't make a lot of sense to justify my decisions based upon how long I think it will hold up for the $$$. It's more a question as to whether the materials look and feel as attractive or the details are well thought out (design wise). Sewing a decent stitch, after all, isn't rocket science. Maybe it's just me — not being hard on things in the first place — but rarely do I recall getting rid of a non-designer brand because it had broken or fallen apart. That's my 2¢, anyhow.

Last edited:
I only buy desinger purses because it's the one thing that is consistent in my wadrobe. I don't spend much on shoes, clothes etc because those are constantly changing.
I am also hard on my things and I find that designer purses (durable ones) last long and look great after some wear/tear and are still totally functionable. I find that non-designer bags tend to break faster to the point of it being useless.

On TPF though, it seems as if everyone is into designer bags only and recognizable ones at that, at least in terms of mentioning them! Just check out these threads; finding someone who even goes left field to mention a designer or brand that's not Prada or Gucci or Gerard or Ferragamo, etc. is like finding a needle in a haystack, literally! I.e. You'll find people polling you which bags to choose from or like and the options are ALL high-end/well-known designers. The Bag Showcase forum could very easily put up a sign that reads, "No Obscure Designer Brands Allowed" and it would fit perfectly.

However, when you inquire if anyone likes non-designer or low-end bags, you'll get a considerable number of responses otherwise. It's kind of odd, imo.

:confused1:

I disagree with this. HH, Belen Echandia, Ignes, Tano, Treesje, RM all have so many fans they have their own forums! Before TPF, they were all "obscure". ;):tpfrox:

Ill buy anything that I like, regardless of its "status". I also don't think you should have to mortgage your house or decide between groceries and a bag, I mean I love them as much as the next girl but when it comes down to it, its a vessel to hold my keys and my chapstick. Plus, every designer was once unknown, who knows where the label that made that $25 bag you just picked up will be in 5 years.

Ill buy anything that I like, regardless of its "status". I also don't think you should have to mortgage your house or decide between groceries and a bag, I mean I love them as much as the next girl but when it comes down to it, its a vessel to hold my keys and my chapstick. Plus, every designer was once unknown, who knows where the label that made that $25 bag you just picked up will be in 5 years.

I feel if you have to sacrifice something to buy a bag you can't afford it. I only buy bags if my bills are paid and I have expendable cash to play with. I used to fritter money away on lots of cheap bags that were good for only 1 season. I find that with a few good investments I spend less money in the long run.