Home The Playground Up to the Minute...

Woman charged with selling fake designer purses, 500 bags recovered

POST A REPLY

Jul 8, 2012, 2:16am   #1
i
& My Motos & Shoes!
Quote:
A 43-year-old Cicero woman was arrested and charged with felony unlawful use of trademarks after Chicago Police discovered over 500 counterfeit bags and merchandise at a Southwest Side flea market.

Norma Rodriguez was part of the ruse that a tactical team busted with the help of neighbors, police said Saturday.

The illegal merchandise, which was sold at a flea market on South Ashland, was made to look like Coach, Luis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, and Chanel products, Deering District Commander David Jarmusz said.

The purses were purchased at $15 and were sold at a higher rate of $40 to $50, police said.

The scheme left manufacturers with over $500,000 in lost revenue, Jarmusz said.
http://www.suntimes.com/news/crime/1...recovered.html

Last edited Jul 8, 2012 at 2:29am.
Jul 8, 2012, 2:18am   #2
i
& My Motos & Shoes!
Quote:
July 7, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A vendor at a Southwest Side outdoor market was arrested for trying to sell hundreds of fake designer handbags and sunglasses.

Police displayed more than 500 knock-off bags and sunglasses at the Deering District Station Saturday afternoon.

Undercover officers spotted the display of purses at the flea market and arrested the vendor, a woman from Cicero.

Police say she will face felony charges for unlawful use of trademarks.

(Copyright 2012 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...rticle-8728556
Jul 8, 2012, 2:21am   #3
i
& My Motos & Shoes!
I'm embarrassed to say that this woman is from my home town! But at the same time, I'm happy to hear that the police were paying attention and arrested her! I'm always hearing about the crackdown of the sale of counterfeit goods, but very rarely do I hear about an arrest - I happened to catch this story on the 10:00 local news! The Chicago Police did a good job on this one!
Jul 8, 2012, 2:19pm   #4
Nice!

I was hoping this would be a threat abuot Hina getting caught!!!
Jul 9, 2012, 10:32am   #5
That is good that she was caught but I don't understand the part about this scheme costing manufacturers $500k in lost revenue, most people that buy fakes that ugly & obvious were not going to cough up over 1k for a Gucci bag or Chanel wallet anyway.
Jul 9, 2012, 6:35pm   #6
There was some people busted at the flea market from my home town not long ago for making custom imprints of high end logos.. yet the majority of the other shops were selling fake items and nothing was said? Why is the law so selective? You see faux items being sold EVERYWHERE and rarely is there a bust.
Jul 10, 2012, 11:14am   #7
F
Originally Posted by CocoMeow
Why is the law so selective? You see faux items being sold EVERYWHERE and rarely is there a bust.
Same thing I'm wondering! There are plenty of shops (especially in Chinatown) selling very obvious fakes, but they only seem to crack down on a very small number of people selling fakes. Probably has to do with paying off the people who are supposed to be enforcing these laws.
Jul 10, 2012, 7:48pm   #8
Good to hear that she got busted!
Jul 12, 2012, 9:11am   #9
Loving my iPad
Originally Posted by JulieLovesLV
That is good that she was caught but I don't understand the part about this scheme costing manufacturers $500k in lost revenue, most people that buy fakes that ugly & obvious were not going to cough up over 1k for a Gucci bag or Chanel wallet anyway.
My thoughts exactly! If they're buying a $15 Chanel wallet at the markets, they already know it's fake. Don't get me wrong, I hate fakes, but the people who buys there are never going to purchase the real item from the designers.
Jul 13, 2012, 6:57pm   #10
h
good to hear that she got busted is exactly right!!

and hope her prison camp garb will be all those counterfeit bags tied

& wrapped around her ankles
Jul 16, 2012, 5:29pm   #11
oh wow!! Glad to hear there are more crackdowns!
Jul 17, 2012, 7:24am   #12
Mental Discipline
comforting to know. hope they can do more.
Jul 20, 2012, 1:42pm   #13
p
Account Deactivated
This is great news, shame that they can't catch them all.
Jul 20, 2012, 11:07pm   #14
I wish the Australian policed acted on the importers and sellers of fake designer items... even in major shopping centres there are traders of counterfeits not to mention our eBay site ewwww
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Up to the Minute...