Home > >

Phones That See Through Walls & Clothes At Hand

POST A REPLY

Jul 19, 2012, 7:14pm   #1
SkylightTonight
Shub Niggurath
Quote:
If you think smartphones have virtually reached the end of their evolutionary ladder, get ready. Researchers are working on a chip that would allow cell phones to see through walls, paper and, yes, clothing.

The new device, if and when it comes to market, could give any owner one of Superman's signature powers. A team of scientists at the University of Texas at Dallas has presented research at a recent International Solid-States Circuit Conference about new microchip technology that uses terahertz (THz) band wavelengths, which can travel through solid objects, to create images.

The team is working on building a functioning imaging system.

The terahertz band is located between the microwave and infrared wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum, and it can penetrate through objects, not unlike x-rays. Previous devices to read those wavelengths have been large, bulky and relatively expensive.

The team envisions using Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor, or CMOS, chips that are designed to receive and image THz waves. Lest you imagine that everyone would then be as revealed as in the Garden of Eden, the researchers have decided to limit the viewing capability to 4 inches.

Dr. Kenneth O, director of the Texas Analog Center of Excellence at UT Dallas and the leader of the research team, told news media that "the major concern for this technology is privacy, so we've made it that you need to place the imaging device very close to the object you are looking at."

"We are talking about a distance of 10 centimeters," he said, which would make it difficult to look through someone's clothing -- unless he or she wanted you to do so.

Such a seeing-through device could have countless useful applications. These can include detecting cancer tumors, diagnosing disease through breath analysis, monitoring air toxicity, detection of counterfeit money, finding studs in walls, locating hidden cracks in pottery, and authenticating documents. There's also the possibility that such a device could be used in place of x-rays for medical purposes.

Additionally, THz bands have more potential channels for communication than the bandwidths currently used for wireless communications, thus possibly opening up new wireless capacity.

Dr. O said in a statement that "there are all kinds of things you could be able to do that we just haven't yet thought about."

Avi Greengart, an analyst with industry research firm Current Analysis, joked that such technology might be better located on Google's coming enhanced-reality glasses.

He said he expected such technology was "more likely" to find a home in specialized devices, such as ones designed specifically for medical uses. However, Greengart added, "someone will try it in cell phones," especially if there are consumer-useful applications, such as detecting if someone is drunk.
http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story....d=02000233ZJQC
Jul 20, 2012, 12:10am   #2
l
lightdays
Break from tPF
I'm not sure this is a good idea for the average civilian. I sure as hell don't want perverts looking what's under my clothes.
Jul 20, 2012, 3:18am   #3
Flip88
Originally Posted by lightdays
I'm not sure this is a good idea for the average civilian. I sure as hell don't want perverts looking what's under my clothes.
My thoughts precisely!
Jul 20, 2012, 3:54am   #4
Sternchen
At a distance of 10cm some pervert in a crowd could easily use this device to look through my shirt / skirt!
Jul 20, 2012, 9:13am   #5
nc.girl
Girly Gear Head
Agreed. This is not something the average person needs to have access to. I can certainly see how it could be a very useful tool in the medical and law enforcement fields though.
Jul 20, 2012, 9:36am   #6
shoegal27
sunglass addict
This should be against the law!!!!!!!
Jul 20, 2012, 6:33pm   #7
kaitydid
Agreed!
Jul 20, 2012, 10:04pm   #8
c
carriebee
God, can you imagine riding on the subway if those phones become available to the general public? What a nightmare.
Jul 29, 2012, 8:09am   #9
Greta_V
Mademoiselle
I'm never gonna be able to use public restrooms anymore
Jul 29, 2012, 12:14pm   #10
p
platinum_girly
Account Deactivated
That is ridiculous. What a way to aid perverts, and don't even get me started on how sick paedophiles could use this.
Jul 30, 2012, 12:06am   #11
JAN!
<3
I think this is a TERRIBLE idea! The very thought of it enrages me. The technology should be kept for PROFESSIONAL uses, NOT CELL PHONES!!!!

I will have no respect for a company that releases it to the cell phone market. Even if it a country decides to ban this, it won't always work. Once something is out there, people will be able to get their hands on it. (I.e. guns. It's illegal for the most part in Canada, put yet we still have idiots running around shooting people.)

I can't stress enough how absolutely infuriating the very thought of this is.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >