Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

No Facebook page? You're a criminal

POST A REPLY

Aug 13, 2012, 4:00pm   #1
~Fabulousity~
Remember when the debate over “shoulder surfing” — that is, companies requiring job applicants to log into their social-media accounts so the interviewer could examine the applicant’s page in full — flared up earlier this year? At the time, a common response from readers was that they’d simply delete or deactivate their Facebook pages or make them unsearchable and then deny having an account. Well, here comes the bad news: not having a Facebook page can be detrimental to job seekers.

People without Facebook pages, in particular, are viewed as “suspicious” by hiring managers, according to Forbes. The article says,
I’ve heard both job seekers and employers wonder aloud about what it means if a job candidate doesn’t have a Facebook account. Does it mean they deactivated it because it was full of red flags? Are they hiding something? … It does seem that increasingly, it’s expected that everyone is on Facebook in some capacity, and that a negative assumption is starting to arise about those who reject the Big Blue Giant’s siren call.
According to a new study from recruitment-technology firm Jobvite, a whopping 92% of recruiters use social media today. Although LinkedIn is the most popular destination, two-thirds of respondents say they now use Facebook and more than half say they use Twitter.
(MORE: Facebook Weighs In and Blasts ‘Shoulder Surfing’ by Employers)
In a recent article, German media outlet Tagesspiegel kicked up a controversy in its exploration of what not having a social-media presence says about you. It quotes a psychologist who says (translated from German via Google Translate), “The Internet has become a natural part of life … It is possible that you get with virtual friends and feelings of positive feedback.” The article then goes on to point out that perpetrators of two mass shootings (James Holmes in Colorado and Anders Breivik in Norway) were both ciphers on major social-media sites and suggests that such “absolute abstinence” from social-media sites indicates a possibly dangerous level of withdrawal from society.
Or, as tech blog Slashdot summed it up (with implied skepticism): “Not having a Facebook account could be the first sign that you are a mass murderer.”
(MORE: Can Interviewers Insist on ‘Shoulder Surfing’ Your Facebook Page?)
That’s hyperbolic, of course, but there is a small amount of evidence to suggest that people who use social-media sites in moderation are more likely to be emotionally healthy: a study of more than 7,200 young people published last year in the journal Pediatrics found that adolescents who say they never or hardly ever use the Internet are more likely to be depressed than moderate users.
The real point, however, is less about the reality of a link between social-media use and emotional fitness, and more about the evolving perceptions of employers. It’s increasingly clear that recruiters have a set of expectations about a would-be employee’s social-media presence, and it’s worth keeping that in mind as you go about shaping your online identity.

Read more: http://moneyland.time.com/2012/08/08...#ixzz23STMdSuU

This is absolutely ridiculous!
Aug 13, 2012, 4:07pm   #2
nc.girl
Girly Gear Head
"This is absolutely ridiculous!" is an understatement LOL. Wow. There really are people out there that have zero desire to have a Facebook page (myself included), and it has nothing to do with them being a criminal, trying to hide something, etc. I can't believe an employer would actually consider it a bad thing if you didn't have a Facebook page! Some people just like to keep their private life private, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. I certainly wouldn't call it a "dangerous level of withdrawal from society" just because you don't use Facebook.
Last edited Aug 13, 2012 at 4:13pm.
Aug 13, 2012, 4:16pm   #3
~Fabulousity~
Originally Posted by nc.girl
"This is absolutely ridiculous!" is an understatement LOL. Wow. There really are people out there that have zero desire to have a Facebook page (myself included), and it has nothing to do with them being a criminal, trying to hide something, etc. I can't believe an employer would actually consider it a bad thing if you didn't have a Facebook page! Some people just like to keep their private life private, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. I certainly wouldn't call it a "dangerous level of withdrawal from society" just because you don't use Facebook.

Agree. I'm not on Facebook and don't care to be, doesn't mean I have something to hide. I got tired of people posting pics of their food, toes, and talking about and posting pics of other random silly things. It just became blah! A waste of my time to even log-in so delete it went.
Aug 13, 2012, 4:21pm   #4
nc.girl
Girly Gear Head
Originally Posted by ~Fabulousity~
Agree. I'm not on Facebook and don't care to be, doesn't mean I have something to hide. I got tired of people posting pics of their food, toes, and talking about and posting pics of other random silly things. It just became blah! A waste of my time to even log-in so delete it went.
LOL, food and toes! I just don't get the whole craze myself. I guess I'm just not a big sharer when it comes to social media. I love forums, though.

Two of the girls I work with practically LIVE on Facebook. I think some people honestly are addicted to social media.
Aug 13, 2012, 5:10pm   #5
HauteMama
Wow. That's pretty sad. I have never been of FB, so I never even had an account to deactivate. I guess that means I am a criminal... One might think it would be a positive thing in that the employer would think the employee wouldn't spend all their work time on FB!
Aug 13, 2012, 5:34pm   #6
oggers86
Its ridiculous and i have a fb page! It seems there are more reasons why you arent suitable for a job, cant these people just get over themselves?!!
Aug 13, 2012, 8:16pm   #7
SkylightTonight
Shub Niggurath
You could set up a fake facebook page with pretend friends who epitomise goodness, responsibility, a strong work ethic. These friends could leave messages like "I would invite you to come out with us tonight, but I know you are serving food for the homeless". And "I have finished that How to be a Model Employee book you lent me. I'll return it when I next see you".

Your hobbies: working as part of a team, setting goals and following them through, learning about workplace communication, not being distracted from the task at hand, etc.
Aug 14, 2012, 12:38am   #8
2TsK
Originally Posted by SkylightTonight
You could set up a fake facebook page with pretend friends who epitomise goodness, responsibility, a strong work ethic. These friends could leave messages like "I would invite you to come out with us tonight, but I know you are serving food for the homeless". And "I have finished that How to be a Model Employee book you lent me. I'll return it when I next see you".

Your hobbies: working as part of a team, setting goals and following them through, learning about workplace communication, not being distracted from the task at hand, etc.
LOL, it could work.
Aug 14, 2012, 3:57am   #9
Myrkur
Gan Daginn
Lol that is bull****
Aug 14, 2012, 8:53am   #10
nc.girl
Girly Gear Head

Too funny!
Potential employers would think they were hiring a saint.
Aug 14, 2012, 9:01am   #11
r15324
Dismembered
To an extent I see where the article is coming from... From my experience, those without Facebook pages for example tend to be less social, less outspoken and generally more awkward than those that have a healthy Facebook presence.
Aug 14, 2012, 9:15am   #12
~Fabulousity~

exactly, perfect example of how silly this is its like you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

@ "I have finished that How to be a Model Employee book you lent me. I'll return it when I next see you".
Aug 14, 2012, 10:25am   #13
J
Jesssh
LinkedIn should be enough. You should be permitted to keep your public persona strictly professional.

Sometimes journalists make up stories just to get traffic and attention and reactions. The opinions of the silent majority are ignored.
Aug 14, 2012, 10:58am   #14
tatertot
*♥Deck the Halls♥*
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard
Aug 14, 2012, 1:12pm   #15
Wentworth-Roth
Longtime Member
What a ridiculous article. I am not part of any social media website like facebook, myspace etc and I don't care to be.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >