Account Deactivated
The year that Halloween died.

http://www.texnews.com/1998/1999/texas/candy1031.html
Jul 19, 2008, 10:57pm   #32
C
Christine
Back in 5 minutes..
Originally Posted by kroquet
LOL!! ^^ That was when my Dad was in Washington alot and he always stayed at the Watergate and was actually in the Hotel about a week prior to the break in. Just like Forrest Gump!!!

Another murder spree was in Houston and the victims were all boys and I remember that my parents kept a tighter rein on my older brother after that.

http://crime.about.com/od/serial/p/dean_corll.htm
Wow! Wierd stuff! Hopefully everyone was prosecuted!
Jul 19, 2008, 11:15pm   #33
C
Christine
Back in 5 minutes..
Originally Posted by Roo
I remember that too

When I asked my father to explain what was going on, he said, "Well, the president lied."

I remember feeling extremely outraged about that.

But even more outraged that my after school cartoons were being interrupted by the hearings!

Roo - my baby sitter told me the same stuff! Even though I was old enough to understand what was going on..... will still feign dumb if it will buy me a few years of youngness... hehe...
Jul 20, 2008, 2:44am   #34
Sternchen
Not all of these were from when I was still a child, since I was born in 1985 so I've included some that I remember / the ones that stuck out in my mind from when I was a teenager too:

- Desert Storm (dad was deployed to Saudi Arabia)
- Oklahoma City bombings
- OJ
- DC Area sniper shootings (we lived in the area and I was TERRIFIED everytime I saw a white box truck...)
- September 11 (of course)
- Death of Princess Diana

Most of the others have already been listed here
Jul 20, 2008, 2:51am   #35
laloki
The moon landing
The assassination of Robert Kennedy
Troop withdrawal from Vietnam
Watergate
Sacking Gough Whitlam (Australia's Prime Minister) by the Governer General
Jul 20, 2008, 3:46pm   #36
caxe
-+-+-+-+-+-
I remember the Atlanta Child Murders. Hearing about that when I was a kid (five or so years old) really bothered me!
Jul 20, 2008, 5:51pm   #37
Mustlovedogs
The Cut N Curl Girl
I remember many of the events that others have referenced but I truly remember.............the day ELVIS died!!!!! Man was that a pisser.
Jul 20, 2008, 6:02pm   #38
MissusB
Son of Sam!
Jul 20, 2008, 11:09pm   #39
article3
Loves Bags & the Law
Oj
Jul 20, 2008, 11:11pm   #40
R
Roo
Originally Posted by article3
Oj

I will never forget the night of the OJ car chase. I was in a sports bar watching, I think, the NBA playoffs (?) on the big screen. They kept interrupting with the footage of the white Bronco on the LA freeways. It was truly bizarre....
Jul 21, 2008, 12:34am   #41
s
stellamaried
Happy Happy Joy Joy
This is so strange, but the thing I remember most was the baby in the well story. I also remember the Challenger incident, especially the female teacher who was on the mission.

I also have a really vivid memory of going out in a bus and doing "Hands Across America" (and singing the song!) with my family.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hands_Across_America
Jul 21, 2008, 12:38am   #42
he432
sofa king awesome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bernardo

I distinctly remember this from my childhood. I was seven when his trial was held and I was this bookworm little kid and I remember reading the front page of the newspaper on a saturday morning and forcing my parents to explain the story to me. I was terrified to walk anywhere by myself for several weeks, even to the neighbours house.
Jul 21, 2008, 12:47am   #43
R
Roo
Originally Posted by he432
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bernardo

I distinctly remember this from my childhood. I was seven when his trial was held and I was this bookworm little kid and I remember reading the front page of the newspaper on a saturday morning and forcing my parents to explain the story to me. I was terrified to walk anywhere by myself for several weeks, even to the neighbours house.

What is even more sad is that his wife Karla is now out of prison. She killed her OWN sister!!!
Jul 21, 2008, 12:48am   #44
he432
sofa king awesome
^^^ Seriously, I think they are among the most screwed up people I've ever heard of.
Jul 21, 2008, 1:54pm   #45
Veelyn
I'M BACK :)
The story of Shawn Hornbeck

This little boy got kidnapped about 5 minutes from my brothers house and was being held about 20 minutes from my house! Scary!

The Shawn Hornbeck Foundation is a non-profit charitable organization based in Richwoods, Missouri, USA, devoted to the search for and rescue of abducted children. It runs the Shawn Hornbeck Search and Rescue Team, which was founded by Pam and Craig Akers following the disappearance of their son Shawn Hornbeck, aged 11, on October 6, 2002, while riding his bicycle near his home in Richwoods, Missouri. Shawn Hornbeck was missing for over 4 years before being discovered on January 12, 2007 by police searching for a 13-year-old boy by the name of Ben Ownby, who had recently gone missing. Hornbeck and Ownby were both found in the apartment of Michael J. Devlin in Kirkwood, Missouri.[1]
As of June 2007, Devlin has been charged with 80 counts in the abductions and molestation of Hornbeck and Ownby. On October 8, 2007, Devlin pleaded guilty of all charges filed against him and was sentenced to life imprisonment. [2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Hornbeck

13 year old Tiffany Sabourin

http://legalminds.lp.findlaw.com/lis.../msg01453.html

was raped, stabbed, and decapitated on the Lindenwood University Campus in St. Charles, MO. in 1998 by a student.

Friday, May 8, 1998

MISSOURI:

A Lindenwood University student and his 15-year-old friend have been
charged in the decapitation of Tiffany Sabourin, 13, of Wentzville.
Jason Shipman, 21, and his close friend, both of St. Charles, have
confessed to the killing and were charged Thursday, police said. Shipman
also was charged with statutory rape and armed criminal action.

Sabourin was stabbed to death on the Lindenwood campus sometime after
midnight April 26, said Tim Braun, the St. Charles prosecuting attorney.

Her headless body was dumped behind a bank near the entrance to the
athletic fields. It was found that Sunday morning at 6:50 a.m. by a
Lindenwood student who was walking to work.

Sabourin's head was found in a portable restroom nearby on campus, Braun
said.

A police source said the girl had been fatally stabbed at the top of her
back after she was raped and sodomized. Then, almost as an afterthought,
the knife was used to cut off her head, and it was put in the portable
toilet, near the Lindenwood athletic field, the source said.

Shipman enrolled as a student at Lindenwood in January and had lived on
campus, but he left school the day Sabourin's body was found, said St.
Charles police Capt. Pat McCarrick.

The 15-year-old, who was being held at the Juvenile Justice Center in
St. Charles, has been charged with murder under the state juvenile code.

*I will never forget this case. It has struck with me every since I first heard it. It is so sickening*

The JonBenet case, Columbine, the Pope dying, and Princess Di dying were all other things I remember.
Last edited Jul 21, 2008 at 1:57pm.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >