d
Hi,

Latest on Lauren.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-accident.html
Jul 20, 2012, 1:30pm   #242
p
Account Deactivated
Originally Posted by Ambi107
I'm wondering if responses would be this vicious if she were unattractive ... There seems to be a lot of "who does she think she is" aura underlying some of the responses.

Originally Posted by dress1
Hi,

Latest on Lauren.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-accident.html
She looks great considering what she has been through, i wish her the very best for the future.
Aug 10, 2012, 7:58am   #243
d
Hi,

Lauren seems happy and she deserves it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-recovery.html
Aug 14, 2012, 2:59am   #244
Gan Daginn
Wtf, how is this even possible? How do you walk into a propeller? And shouldn't it already be turned of when she got of the plane?
Nov 6, 2012, 5:22pm   #245
d
Lauren and how she is now.

Lauren Scruggs Reveals New Prosthetic Eye and Hand

Email2Smaller FontTextLarger Text|Print

Nearly one year after model and fashion blogger Lauren Scruggs walked off an airplane and into a spinning propeller, she says she still can’t fully explain how it happened.

“I remember the sky was black; we were on the dark side of the plane,” Scruggs, 24, writes in her memoir to be released later this month. “It was December 3, 2011, and after that split second, I remember absolutely nothing.”

Scruggs had just landed after viewing Christmas lights from above on Dec. 3 when she walked into a moving airplane propeller at a private airport north of Dallas. The propeller sliced off her hand and doctors were forced to remove her left eye weeks later. The pilot, Curt Richmond, left the propeller running while Scruggs left the plane.

PHOTOS: Lauren Scruggs’ Remarkable Recovery

Scruggs was conscious, breathing and “somewhat” responsive but bleeding badly, according to the 911 call. She was rushed to the hospital, fighting for her life. In an instant, Scruggs’ world, and her family’s, changed forever.

“I was able to hold her,” Scruggs’ mom, Cheryl Scruggs, told “Good Morning America” just days later about that harrowing night. “That’s the toughest part of it all, just seeing her there waiting for the help.”

WATCH: Lauren Scruggs’ Parents Speak

In the months after the accident, Scruggs underwent intensive physical therapy to relearn the basics — how to walk, talk, use a stationary bike, even dress herself — and pick up the pieces of her life. She eventually resumed writing fashion commentary on her LoLo website, shared photos of a family ski vacation in Colorado last year and, this week, took to Twitter to show off her prosthetics to replace the left hand and left eye she lost.

“Doing some filming action. Long day,” she tweeted, along with a photo of herself and friend Shannon Yoachum.

Scruggs smiles now, but devotes one chapter of her memoir to her difficult recovery, including everything from the awkward painting and fitting of her fake eye to her own self-consciousness about her new prosthetic arm.

“I don’t know why this is so hard, I said,” she writes. “Soldiers are dying in Afghanistan right now and I’m too chicken to do this one little thing.”

Scruggs reached a legal settlement with the insurance company for the pilot and the plane’s owner last March, a representative for her attorney told ABC News at the time. Though he would not comment on details of the agreement, it is rumored to be more than $1 million.

Scruggs’ memoir, “Still Lolo: The Inspiring True Story,” goes on sale Nov. 15. In the end, she says, she believes that her split-second encounter with the propeller blade may have made her a deeper, more introspective person.

“I came to see how there was so much more to my life than being worried about how I looked,” she writes.

ABC News’ Lauren Sher contributed to this report.

SHOWS: Good Morning America

Email2Smaller FontTextLarger Text|Print

More From ABC News

Daniel Craig Cries to Adele
Tasered 10-Year-Old Boy Sues Police
Taylor Swift, Conor Kennedy Split
Kristin Bell and Dax Shepard Are Expecting
Oprah’s Favorite Things: Top 5 Items Under $100
Let 2016 Begin: Joe Biden Says Not Last Time Voting for Himself

From Around the Web

Hurricane Sandy in Pictures Make the Storm's Threat Hit Home (PHOTOS) (CafeMom)
Is it the End of Stainless Steel? (Oven Info)
Are You Eating These 7 Anti-Arthritis Foods? (Lifescript.com)
Getting High Vs. Getting Hammered: Which Is More Dangerous? (TheCarConnection.com)
Kim Kardashian's Skirt Causes Outrage (Zimbio)
Jodi White Is Hot (To Her Sons' Friends) (Nick Mom)

[What's This?]

Related Videos

Jimmy Kimmel's Halloween Prank for Parents

Stars Commemorate ABC's Day of Giving

Previous
Kristin Bell and Dax Shepard Are Expecting

Next
Teri Shields, Mom and Manager of Brooke Shields, Dies at 79

User Comments

At first when I heard about this I was so sad I could relate. I had a freak accident happen to me. But now that I see her publishing a book and trying to get money, I am kinda disgusted. She was in control that night and accidents do happen. Now it seem she is trying to milk this accident and get FAME. I was struck by a car of a drunk driver and had no control of my accident but she had control and should have been paying attention. I am really starting to think this poor girl likes this attention and may need mental help.

Posted by: jess | November 6, 2012, 2:03 pm 2:03 pm

I weep for you.

Posted by: seeing eye | November 6, 2012, 4:49 pm 4:49 pm

Leave a Reply

Do you have more information about this topic? If so, please click here to contact the editors of ABC News.

Name (required)

Mail (will not be published) (required)

Website

About Celebrities

Celebrity gossip, red carpet moments and the latest fashion trends.

Categories
Celebrities
Celebrity Law
Fashion
Movies
Music
Oscars
TV

Top Posts
Mariah, Beyonce, and More Stars Urge Fans to Vote
Teri Shields, Mom and Manager of Brooke Shields, Dies at 79
‘Dancing
Nov 6, 2012, 5:34pm   #246
d
zzz
Insurance settlement?! Geez. No comment.
Nov 7, 2012, 9:45am   #247
<3 life
Originally Posted by doreenjoy
Insurance settlement?! Geez. No comment.
Sorta confused by this - do you think she didn't deserve a settlement for the pilot's negligence?
Nov 7, 2012, 12:15pm   #248
d
zzz
Originally Posted by Odette

Sorta confused by this - do you think she didn't deserve a settlement for the pilot's negligence?
I don't see the pilot as negligent, But I'm not going to argue it here.
Nov 8, 2012, 9:00am   #249
V
Traveler
^^ ita! Also feel its not appropriate to discuss it here.

If propellers aren't spinning they are real obvious, even at night. Like seeing a wheel not moving.
Biggest thing is they are pretty loud when spinning. So loud that one is shouting to be heard.

She's thinking about this as an experience where she's better because of it. Good place for her head to be.
Last edited Nov 8, 2012 at 9:22am.
Nov 8, 2012, 9:09am   #250
I wanna go shopping!
Originally Posted by Coco Belle

I honestly thought the same thing! Then later on I read a comment about this story and it kinda put it in perspective for me... the gist of it was:
a) when propellers are spinning, you can't see them, even in daylight
b) it was night when she was disembarking

....all this together, is exactly why pilots are compelled by regulations to always shut off the propeller before allowing passengers to disembark.
I always wondered how it would be possible to walk into a propeller, but wasn't aware that it couldn't be seen if spinning
Nov 8, 2012, 10:11am   #251
I do feel badly for what happened her, but it seems pretty clear to me that her and her family saw this as an opportunity to cash in.

I know this is late to the party, and I don't want to re-hash the whole thing, but I feel the need to add my .02 here. I have friends who are pilots (both commercial and private) and I have taken flying lessons. I have been around a *lot* of small aircraft, and even piloted a few times. Day or night, spinning props are pretty obvious. They move very fast, so you may not be able to actually see each individual prop blade, but you hear them, and they put off air (how they propel the aircraft). You'd be able to physically feel the prop moving before you even got within 5 feet of it.

That said, one thing every pilot knows is to never leave the engine running to load & unload a plane unless there are significant extenuating circumstances. I don't think holiday sight-seeing tours fall under that category.

I don't understand how an adult walks into a spinning prop (although, it happens several times each year), but I also don't understand why the pilot would deplane passengers without shutting the engine down. If two people had been paying more attention, this whole thing would have been avoided. :(
Nov 8, 2012, 10:29am   #252
Dogs Rule!!
^^ great post. Agreed!
Nov 21, 2012, 9:27am   #253
Originally Posted by pmburk
I do feel badly for what happened her, but it seems pretty clear to me that her and her family saw this as an opportunity to cash in.
Bingo!

She was on a show this week talking about the accident. She said "before the flight I had a bad feeling that we would get into an accident or something like that".

Seems to just add to the sensationalism to sell her book. A book that she wrote about the accident, but earlier said she couldn't remember the accident
Nov 21, 2012, 2:52pm   #254
l
^^That's exactly how I feel about this. I will not be purchasing her book.
Nov 21, 2012, 4:57pm   #255
Originally Posted by DC-Cutie

Bingo!

She was on a show this week talking about the accident. She said "before the flight I had a bad feeling that we would get into an accident or something like that".

Seems to just add to the sensationalism to sell her book. A book that she wrote about the accident, but earlier said she couldn't remember the accident
People tend to remember real quick when a buck can be made
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Up to the Minute...