Up To 40% Off

Net-A-Porter

Up To 50% Off Designer Sale

Bloomingdale's

Up to 50% Off Big Brown Bag Sale

ASOS

Black Friday 30% Off With Code: TGIBF
Home > >

Kids bully and verbally abuse woman on bus. Video goes viral.

POST A REPLY

Jun 26, 2012, 11:12am   #76
L etoile
tPF addict
It's not our business to tell other people what to do with their money. I wish it was, but it isn't. If people want to give her money, then they can. No one is forcing anyone to donate. People spent money on a lot of stupid stuff.

I think it's a slippery slope to know how to deal with kids. We all think we would do THIS or THAT in a situation, but would we really? There are enough bad videos of people disciplining kids out there. How do we know this woman wasn't told to keep an eye on the kids, but was not allowed to discipline them? If she did try to scold them, I'm sure that would end up on YouTube and she would be fired for yelling at someone or something stupid like that. I think there's a lot of unnecessary blaming the victim in this thread... and everyone's claiming that they would do one thing, while no one really has any idea what they would do in that situation. Bullying is one thing, but bringing up her son's suicide is another. I really find it hard to believe that everyone would be totally level-headed, logical, and would APPROPRIATELY scold these kids in that type of emotional situation.
Jun 26, 2012, 11:46am   #77
sdkitty
Originally Posted by SunglassLove
This is what I'm trying to say, put into one sentence, LOL
agree.......and ironically, the experience may not have been that traumatic. she says she may go back and be a bus monitor. after taking her kids and grandkids on vacation to disneyland....and last I heard the amount was up to $650K

I agree that if you can't stand up to kids and show them your are in charge, you shouldn't be in charge of them. That doesn't mean you're a bad person - just not right for that job.
Jun 26, 2012, 3:47pm   #78
d
doreenjoy
zzz
I think it's hilarious that people on this thread are saying the donation fund has gotten to a rediculous amount, given how much we see people spend on bags on this forum.
Jun 26, 2012, 7:39pm   #79
V
Vegas Long Legs
Traveler
Why is taxes even being brought up as an issue?
When one makes a lot of money. one pays a lot in taxes. Its the way it works. I love years when I pay a ton of taxes.

She didn't even 'earn" this money by years of hard work. And she takes home 40 to 50% of what was given to her which is still a good deal of money.

If one donates money for any cause, they need to let it go. Otherwise its putting conditions on the donation.
Last edited Jun 26, 2012 at 7:46pm.
Jun 28, 2012, 9:48pm   #80
SugarDaisy
~Lovely + Alive~
Originally Posted by Sternchen
I can almost understand her not doing anything against those children.

In this day and age you are not allowed to punish, touch, talk or look at children in anyway that could be construed to be abuse or harrassment. She was probably scared and shocked at their behavior.

I'm not sure I would have done anything to defend myself either. You know kids - if they hear something they don't like "Mommy, teacher was mean to me today!!!!"
A lot of times adults get reprimanded for attempting to discipline children. The children on the other hand get nothing.
Jun 29, 2012, 7:26pm   #81
Echoes
NoWhere Atoll
Quote:
Four seventh-graders who bullied bus monitor Karen Klein have been suspended for a year, banned from bus transportation and ordered to do community service with senior citizens, the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle reports.

The Greece Central School District announced the punishment this afternoon. In a statement, Superintendent Barbara Deane-Williams said the students and their families waived their right to a due process hearing and agreed to the disciplinary measures.

Besides 50 hours of community service, the boys, who attend Greece Athena Middle School, must also complete a program in bullying prevention.

Though suspended, they won't spend the year at home; they'll attend classes at a special center in the district, WSYR-TV says.
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T-451qKDpRI
Jun 30, 2012, 3:43pm   #82
Sternchen
Originally Posted by Echoes
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T-451qKDpRI
I think this is a good punishment and I am glad that the school took action to punish these kids.
Jul 22, 2012, 6:38am   #83
l
lightdays
Break from tPF
I was verbally abused and bullied as a kid so I really know how these bullied victims feel. It is a terrible, terrible thing to go through. No matter what people think, it really is a serious matter and should not be taken lightly. Shame on these kids!

I'm glad the kids got punished.
Jul 23, 2012, 2:08am   #84
Lady Chinadoll
punks! shame on their parents!
Jul 24, 2012, 5:44pm   #85
j
juicypinkglam
Originally Posted by Sternchen
You have to think about this lady's position though. You worked in a juvenile detention center, you had the right to dicipline these kids. They were THERE for the discipline. The kids on the bus are there to get home and you know many parents would be raising all sorts of HELL if "some bus monitor" tried to discipline their child in any way.

I'm glad you're done with this thread because I believe your views are a bit too extreme. It's like you're telling this woman to "suck it up and get over it".

This really has nothing to do with working with kids - it has to do with working with people in general. This could have happened ANYWHERE! Grocery store, park, movies, Drs. office, whatever. How would YOU have reacted if YOUR MOTHER were treated like this from some punks with an attitude problem?
i totally agree with this, never blame the victim. in this case the teens had more power and were in a group. i mean what if they ended up having guns or weapons, it is not the adult's fault as it is not their duty to screen kids on a daily basis. one should be reasonable as there is only so much to expect from school staff. a bus monitor may have a different role/definition these days, definitely incomparable to juvie i would imagine it would be completely different if children were monitored by police. everybody can only speak from their own experience. it is wrong to suddenly redefine that role into something that it wasn't or what you think it should be at the time because that makes the bus monitor's experience invalid
Jul 25, 2012, 9:19am   #86
p
platinum_girly
Account Deactivated
I started to watch this video and when the lady said she was crying it actually made me cry, that poor woman!
Bullying is getting out of hand, it seems like kids either do it in groups in person or do it solo via the internet, but either way it can be extremely hurtful to the victim, and i can only assume that the bullies cannot fathom how it can impact a victims life because if they can and they do it anyway then IMO they must be pure evil.
I hope that the karma mantra 'what comes around, goes around' is in effect for these brats right about now (and any other bullies for that matter!)
Aug 22, 2012, 12:05pm   #87
Echoes
NoWhere Atoll
Quote:
Rochester, NY (CNN) -- A bus monitor made famous after video of her being bullied by students went viral in June is using her experience to make a difference.

Karen Klein has received more than $700,000 in donations from around the world.

And she says she's using some of that to launch an anti-bullying foundation.

"We're hoping to get other people to put money in it, and this is going to be for education for people that have been bullied, for people that just -- for people that need it for this situation," says Klein.
http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/333...nch-foundation
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >