Home The Playground Up to the Minute...

Fired For Being Too Curvy?

POST A REPLY

May 22, 2012, 12:57pm   #1
Some of you may remember this story: http://forum.purseblog.com/up-to-the...ight=lorenzana

Appears it's happened again.

Quote:
A New Jersey woman says she was fired from her job after her manager told her to "tape her breasts" down, and now has filed suit against the company claiming religious and sexual discrimination.
Former data entry worker Lauren Odes said that after two days with Native Intimates, a midtown Manhattan wholesale lingerie company, a supervisor told her the store owners were not happy with her outfit, suggesting it was too "distracting."
"When I first started working there, I asked what the dress code was, and I was just told to look around and see what everyone else was wearing," Odes said in a press conference Monday. "So I did. The dress was very casual athletic wear to business attire."
http://gma.yahoo.com/jersey-woman-sh...opstories.html
May 22, 2012, 1:28pm   #2
Bag Lady
I don't think it's a matter of too-curvy or too hot or... My work has a dress code because people do like to push the limit: wear what they find comfortable, or wear what makes other people uncomfortable.

What the employers should have done is roll out a company wide dress code - for example, no rubber shoes, skirts/shorts/pants should be 3 in above knee or lower, and blouses or tops should fit with no/slight cleavage. Make it the same for men and women.
Then, they could fire the woman for violating stated company policy vs. having something very ambiguous to point to.
May 22, 2012, 1:36pm   #3
^ Agreed. Every company ought to have a written dress code that applies to all employees. That way there is no question whether an employee should be disciplined for violation or not, and both the company and the employee are protected in the event of a dispute (hopefully). I tend to suspend judgement on cases that Allred takes until all the information comes to light because there are often things that aren't initially reported.
May 23, 2012, 7:14am   #4
Surprise!
I wonder what the other side of the story is...
Jun 1, 2012, 3:03pm   #5
I really don't like when suits like this are filed falsely, they make it hard on those who are actually fired and discriminated against. I hope she wasn't going into the office with her breast in a wonder bra and everything all out on display.
Jun 2, 2012, 10:26am   #6
Originally Posted by Vintage Leather
I don't think it's a matter of too-curvy or too hot or... My work has a dress code because people do like to push the limit: wear what they find comfortable, or wear what makes other people uncomfortable.

What the employers should have done is roll out a company wide dress code - for example, no rubber shoes, skirts/shorts/pants should be 3 in above knee or lower, and blouses or tops should fit with no/slight cleavage. Make it the same for men and women.
Then, they could fire the woman for violating stated company policy vs. having something very ambiguous to point to.
Absolutely

Sent from Idris Elba's iPhone using PurseForum
Jun 2, 2012, 1:03pm   #7
Who is Idris Elba?
Jun 2, 2012, 1:40pm   #8
I was fixin to ask the same thing, LOL
Jun 2, 2012, 5:44pm   #9
Originally Posted by Jahpson
Absolutely

LOVE IT!!!!

Ladies, Idris Elba (The Wire, Luther):

Jun 2, 2012, 6:08pm   #10
not a kiwi!
The "appropriate" dress she wore on day five seems to be open at the back showing her bra band. Totally inappropriate for work, no matter how casual the dress code.
Jun 4, 2012, 1:18am   #11
Happy
Originally Posted by Jahpson

Absolutely

But Idris is mine!
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Up to the Minute...