Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
Home > >

14 Dead in Germany From E.coli Outbreak

POST A REPLY

Jun 2, 2011, 12:00am   #16
L
Lilarose
Originally Posted by natalie78
The more I read about this story, the more I think about a biological terrorist attack. I have not seen any report that this outbreak might have been caused by someone purposefully contaminating produce, so I am assuming that this angle has already been ruled out.
This crossed my mind too.

No wonder so many people are growing their own produce nowadays. One never knows where and when this issue will pop up.

My heart goes out to the families of victims.
Jun 2, 2011, 2:57pm   #17
Hessefan
Apparently it's spreading across Europe now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...ium-new-strain
Jun 2, 2011, 3:18pm   #18
Sternchen
Our neighbors' little son (2 years old) is being rushed to the hospital now with a possible EHEC infection. Poor little thing. I hope we will hear more soon.
Jun 2, 2011, 3:25pm   #19
Echoes
NoWhere Atoll
Originally Posted by natalie78
The more I read about this story, the more I think about a biological terrorist attack. I have not seen any report that this outbreak might have been caused by someone purposefully contaminating produce, so I am assuming that this angle has already been ruled out.

Wait 'til you read this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110602/...etables_europe
Jun 2, 2011, 3:33pm   #20
HauteMama
Originally Posted by Sternchen
Our neighbors' little son (2 years old) is being rushed to the hospital now with a possible EHEC infection. Poor little thing. I hope we will hear more soon.
Oh, no; I am so sorry. I hope he will be okay.
Jun 2, 2011, 3:52pm   #21
Sternchen
Originally Posted by HauteMama
Oh, no; I am so sorry. I hope he will be okay.
We didn't know what was going on. We came home from dinner and there were 2 ambulances in front of our house. The mother came running out and told me real quick that he has been havung diarrhea with some blood since this afternoon :-(
Jun 2, 2011, 4:00pm   #22
B
BigBlueSky
OMG, I hope it is something less sinister that they just mistook for E.coli because it being in the news so much.

This is a bit frustrating for me, because I'd like to see how this whole thing is progressing. Yesterday, though, I had trouble finding articles that gave detailed accounts of what is going in the past day or so, even though I imagine it is on the news all the time in Germany.
Jun 2, 2011, 4:11pm   #23
B
BigBlueSky
Originally Posted by Echoes
Wait 'til you read this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110602/...etables_europe
Thanks for posting that, Echoes. It was very informative (but scary).

The seriousness of this is shown by this excerpt from the article:

Quote:
In Hamburg, Philipp, a 29-year-old photojournalist, was hospitalized on Monday after falling ill. He would not provide his last name because he did not want people to know he had the E. coli strain.
After suffering from stomach aches and bloody stools, he developed neurological symptoms and couldn't feel his left arm or leg. Despite three blood plasma transfusions to wash the toxins out of his blood, he hasn't improved.
Philipp said he recalls eating some vegetables the night before he got sick.
Jun 2, 2011, 4:27pm   #24
spacytracy
tattooed cutie ♥
wow my friend just came back last week from Germany....gonna go call her now!!
Jun 2, 2011, 4:28pm   #25
Hessefan
German news are full of stories about this, and I noticed they have been reporting about it for a week or so before it even hit UK news.
Try http://www.spiegel.de/international/
and http://www.thelocal.de/
Jun 2, 2011, 4:42pm   #26
Sternchen
Originally Posted by BigBlueSky
OMG, I hope it is something less sinister that they just mistook for E.coli because it being in the news so much.

This is a bit frustrating for me, because I'd like to see how this whole thing is progressing. Yesterday, though, I had trouble finding articles that gave detailed accounts of what is going in the past day or so, even though I imagine it is on the news all the time in Germany.
It is constantly in the news here but few new developments. In our area (within 35km) there are 4 currently in the hospital with ehec
Jun 3, 2011, 9:25am   #27
sweetfacespout
inspiration nation
I hope he's okay

I am soo worried when going to the grocery store, I don't even know what to buy anymore in the veggie section. I'll just stick to my own garden and my local farmer.

Are they testing meat for the bacteria already? I have a feeling that this could be the cause especially since they haven't found anything on vegetables yet.
Jun 3, 2011, 10:15am   #28
Sternchen
Originally Posted by sweetfacespout
I hope he's okay

I am soo worried when going to the grocery store, I don't even know what to buy anymore in the veggie section. I'll just stick to my own garden and my local farmer.

Are they testing meat for the bacteria already? I have a feeling that this could be the cause especially since they haven't found anything on vegetables yet.
No news yet. He is still in the hospital and his mom hasn't been back home yet.

According to Bild Zeitung, the police are now investigating 2 distributors and 1 restaurant in Hamburg.

I don't know what to buy anymore either. My family and I went to dinner last night and I had a Schnitzel with fries and salad. I ate the salad first and then afterwards I thought "Oh sh#$"...
Jun 5, 2011, 12:21pm   #29
Kittie LaRoche
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
They just reported on the news here that the outbreak might be linked to soy bean sprouts.

I haven't found an English link yet though.
Jun 5, 2011, 1:26pm   #30
B
Beach Bum
Oh man, my daughter is doing a home stay trip in Germany next month for a People to People trip...this has me concerned
POST A REPLY
  HOME > >