Visit our 2014 Holiday Gift Guides
POST A REPLY

Sep 23, 2014, 12:22pm   #1
Onebagtoomany
DH and I are about to start IVF - we visited the clinic yesterday for a scan for me and sperm analysis for DH and it was a disaster! Somehow DH's count of 56 million last year has gone down to 22 million (only just above the minimum required of 20 million) and nearly half of them were not moving or dead. Without going into too much detail I think this may just have been a bad test as DH had issues with the, um, 'visual stimulation' they provided, but I am now worried about what is going to happen on the day of my egg collection when he provides his sample for the actual IVF. I also don't understand how his motility results can be so bad. They were fine last year and he has been taking WellMan Conception and additional vitamin C and zinc since then, so if anything we were expecting fantastic results this time round based on his very respectable ones last time

The nurse who explained his results said they will have ICSI on standby 'if needed' on the day of my egg collection but seemed to think this would be unlikely. I don't understand how she can say this based on DH's motility results - surely if they are as bad again as they were yesterday ICSI is needed to ensure my eggs are fertilised? I know ICSI costs a lot more and we are being funded by the NHS - how bad do someone's results have to be before they will decide it is necessary? FYI we are being treated at the Oxford Fertility Unit, which is one of the best clinics in the country, but unfortunately because funding is being provided for us by the NHS the clinic has to adhere to their very strict guidelines.

We also found out that NHS guidelines dictate that only one embryo is transferred back, based on my age (34 - they will only transfer two embryos back to women over 40). Our clinic is private but has a contract with the NHS so can't go against their policy - so unfair as our consultant freely admitted that if it wasn't for this he would have no issue with us having two embryos transferred.
Last edited Sep 23, 2014 at 12:28pm.
Sep 26, 2014, 4:51am   #2
b
batfish
Hope you're ok. This process is pretty stressful isn't it?

I think they have a fairly low threshold for doing ICSI. They analyse the sample your partner does on the day of your egg collection and if any of the sperm parameters are out of the normal range they will do ICSI rather then IVF. We knew we needed ICSI before this but that's what they told us prior to the egg collection.

I can't really comment on the number of embryos they transfer as our unit must have had different rules when we had our nhs cycle (we were at a different unit to you).
Sep 26, 2014, 3:23pm   #3
Onebagtoomany
Originally Posted by batfish
Hope you're ok. This process is pretty stressful isn't it?

I think they have a fairly low threshold for doing ICSI. They analyse the sample your partner does on the day of your egg collection and if any of the sperm parameters are out of the normal range they will do ICSI rather then IVF. We knew we needed ICSI before this but that's what they told us prior to the egg collection.

I can't really comment on the number of embryos they transfer as our unit must have had different rules when we had our nhs cycle (we were at a different unit to you).
Thanks batfish, I weirdly feel quite excited about it all at the moment - probably because it has taken so long to get to this point and I can't believe we are finally here - but that may change when I start down regging next week!

What you have said makes sense, I think I just panicked as DH's results were so much worse than we expected. It is reassuring to know that at least ICSI is on standby as I know some NHS trusts have really strict rules about what they will and won't do.

I hope your IVF went well on all levels - how did you find the DR and stimulation drugs?
Sep 28, 2014, 2:43pm   #4
b
batfish
I didn't find the drugs too bad at all and didn't have many side effects at all. I had none on the DR drugs and on the stims only a bit of bloating and constipation towards the end. I was a slow/poor responder which may be partly why I didn't have many side effects. Unfortunately our cycle failed but from a physical point of view it wasn't too bad. From an emotional point of view I found it pretty difficult though.
Sep 28, 2014, 4:20pm   #5
Onebagtoomany
That's really reassuring to hear about the meds, do you mind me asking which DR drug were you on? I'll be sniffing Synarel twice a day apparently. From what I have read online, hot flushes and headaches seem to be the worst symptoms on that.

I'm so sorry your cycle wasn't successful :( It is all such an emotional rollercoaster isn't it. Are you planning to try again? I'm attempting to balance being positive (as I know negativity will get me nowhere and possibly even impede our chances) with trying not to get my hopes up too high, as we have been warned the chances of the first cycle being successful are low. We have unexplained infertility which makes things harder in some respects as at least if there was a specific problem we would know what we are dealing with.
Oct 2, 2014, 5:35am   #6
b
batfish
Originally Posted by Onebagtoomany
That's really reassuring to hear about the meds, do you mind me asking which DR drug were you on? I'll be sniffing Synarel twice a day apparently. From what I have read online, hot flushes and headaches seem to be the worst symptoms on that.

I'm so sorry your cycle wasn't successful :( It is all such an emotional rollercoaster isn't it. Are you planning to try again? I'm attempting to balance being positive (as I know negativity will get me nowhere and possibly even impede our chances) with trying not to get my hopes up too high, as we have been warned the chances of the first cycle being successful are low. We have unexplained infertility which makes things harder in some respects as at least if there was a specific problem we would know what we are dealing with.

Yes of course, I was on suprecur injections for the DR and then 450 IU fostimon for the stims. Yes, we are going to try again, but in our area we only get one NHS cycle so it's private for the next one.

Hope the down regging is going ok and you're not having too many side effects.
Oct 4, 2014, 11:38am   #7
Onebagtoomany
Thanks, I started Synarel last night - so only two doses so far. I'm not feeling too bad, perhaps slightly more tired than usual but I'm sure the other delightful side effects are yet to come!

I wish you all the best for your next cycle.
POST A REPLY
  HOME > > >