Home The Playground Up to the Minute... True Crime Stories

Trayvon Martin / Zimmerman trial


POST A REPLY
 
Thread Tools
Mar 25, 2012, 5:12pm   #61
Weekend shopper's Avatar
Mike Ness Fan!
Originally Posted by HauteMama
The justice system is very often unjust, especially when it comes to race and violence. To assume that it always reaches the correct conclusion would be to assume that black men are inherently more violent than their white counterparts (as they are jailed disproportionately to their population numbers). I apolgize if that is getting "political", but statistically it is fact.

So no, I don't think a lot of people would accept the conclusions of the three investigations if they found that Zimmerman was justified in pursuing an unarmed teen and shooting him to death. There is just too much evidence that points to the fact that the justice system treats different stypes of people in vastly different manners to accept that it is always "blind" and equal. Besides, so much of the evidence that could have/should have been collected in this case is gone because the police did not do their jobs properly in the hours immediately following the murder. Any findings of new investigations cannot make up for the lack of evidence, and that will taint any and all future conclusions.
Agreed! The only thing that I will accept is that Zimmerman is guilty.
Mar 25, 2012, 5:40pm   #62
DC-Cutie's Avatar
Member
Originally Posted by NY_Mami
That was the first thing I thought of as well.... it's a modern day Emmitt Till.... and Medgar Evers(his killer was acquitted on the first trial, and then later found guilty when the case re opened in the 1990's).... I know we aren't supposed to bring up race here.... but I feel like this really needs to be said and shouldn't be ignored.... as a black person.... we have to deal wit' racism... when it's to the point where it is not even safe for our kids to get snacks..... it is really a HUGE problem.... it's utterly ridiculous....
Amen!

Every time I read out Tayvon all I can do is smdh. This is 2012 and this mess is still happening.

Did you guys hear that black celeb chef Roble and his friends were pulled over by the police and assaulted in NYC yesterday?

This type of hatred toward black men will never end. It turns my stomach upside down.
Mar 25, 2012, 6:19pm   #63
HauteMama's Avatar
Member
The awful part is that apparently when perpetrators (police, neighborhood watch people, average citizens) can "justify" their actions by disguising their hatred as fear, they get off scot-free.
Mar 25, 2012, 6:40pm   #64
Cornflower Blue's Avatar
Member
Originally Posted by HauteMama
The awful part is that apparently when perpetrators (police, neighborhood watch people, average citizens) can "justify" their actions by disguising their hatred as fear, they get off scot-free.
Tell me about it.

And where I am, race isn't even an issue . Think on that.
Mar 25, 2012, 7:09pm   #65
Weekend shopper's Avatar
Mike Ness Fan!
Originally Posted by DC-Cutie
Amen!

Every time I read out Tayvon all I can do is smdh. This is 2012 and this mess is still happening.

Did you guys hear that black celeb chef Roble and his friends were pulled over by the police and assaulted in NYC yesterday?

This type of hatred toward black men will never end. It turns my stomach upside down.

I did not hear about this. It does not surprise me that DWB still occurs. Some people will probably try to downplay it, but this type of harassment unfortunately happens everyday.
Mar 25, 2012, 9:08pm   #66
ClassicFab's Avatar
the shade of it all
Caitlin1214 your pic

I went to a rally for Trayvon earlier today; it was bittersweet. It was beautiful to see people of different races, ages, sexual orientation, etc. come together and want justice for the young life we lost. Just sad that it took something like this to make people come together.
Mar 25, 2012, 9:59pm   #67
luvs*it*'s Avatar
*~*Schoolin' Life*~*
Originally Posted by DC-Cutie
Amen!

Every time I read out Tayvon all I can do is smdh. This is 2012 and this mess is still happening.

Did you guys hear that black celeb chef Roble and his friends were pulled over by the police and assaulted in NYC yesterday?

This type of hatred toward black men will never end. It turns my stomach upside down.
*~*I hadn't heard about this...so sad!!! It is utterly sickening.*~*
Mar 26, 2012, 1:09am   #68
SkylightTonight's Avatar
Shub Niggurath
Originally Posted by HauteMama
The justice system is very often unjust, especially when it comes to race and violence. To assume that it always reaches the correct conclusion would be to assume that black men are inherently more violent than their white counterparts (as they are jailed disproportionately to their population numbers). I apolgize if that is getting "political", but statistically it is fact.
Just to play the devil's advocate - you could make a similar argument that men are discriminated against. They are jailed at a far higher rate than women. Unless we make the sexist assumption men are more violent than women, we would have to assume the system is stacked against men.
Mar 26, 2012, 3:45pm   #69
L etoile's Avatar
tPF addict
This guy should've never followed that boy. Here's a new article that complicates things, but if Zimmerman wasn't following Trayvon, he wouldn't have had to act in self defense (if he even was, which I'm not so sure...).

New article (I skipped the video):
http://gma.yahoo.com/trayvon-martin-...-abc-news.html
Mar 26, 2012, 3:49pm   #70
NY_Mami's Avatar
Member
Originally Posted by DC-Cutie
Amen!

Every time I read out Tayvon all I can do is smdh. This is 2012 and this mess is still happening.

Did you guys hear that black celeb chef Roble and his friends were pulled over by the police and assaulted in NYC yesterday?

This type of hatred toward black men will never end. It turns my stomach upside down.
I heard about it.... and I saw the video he posted.... this is really gettin' out of control....
Mar 26, 2012, 5:33pm   #71
fabae's Avatar
Member
If Zimmerman hadn't been FOLLOWING the boy, Trayvon wouldn't have gone for the gun. IF that's true. Trayvon was going home. Frankly, I believe they're trying to give Zimmerman some good reason for what he did. Why, I don't know. He needs to be arrested for murder.
Mar 26, 2012, 6:50pm   #72
Kansashalo's Avatar
Traveling...
IF he did try to grab the gun, I really can't say that I wouldn't have done the same thing (try to protect myself if I felt threatened). I'm thinking on a personal level...I'm out walking and some strange man started to follow me and then approached me hastily. I would DEFINITELY be on edge - I don't care if it's a "nice neighborhood" or what.

In today's world, you never know. Crazy doesn't come at you with a sign but in the form of a normal looking person.
Mar 26, 2012, 8:13pm   #73
ClassicFab's Avatar
the shade of it all
I do not believe that story. I'm not calm enough to discuss it. I'll come back when I am.
Mar 26, 2012, 8:54pm   #74
jillybean307's Avatar
Wanderlust
Originally Posted by fabae
If Zimmerman hadn't been FOLLOWING the boy, Trayvon wouldn't have gone for the gun. IF that's true. Trayvon was going home. Frankly, I believe they're trying to give Zimmerman some good reason for what he did. Why, I don't know. He needs to be arrested for murder.

As are certain posters in this thread. A kid walking down the street carrying Skittles was shot and killed. It doesn't matter if he was 4'10 or 6'11 or 11 or 17 years old. It doesn't matter if he was black or white or wearing a hoodie or a 3 piece suit. The "justifications" given in this thread are akin to saying that a woman deserves to be raped if she wears a skirt.

My jackass neighbors were out at 3am on Saturday night screaming so loudly that it woke me from a dead sleep & honestly made me think someone was breaking into my house. That doesn't give me the right to shoot them just because I was afraid.

You don't get to just shoot people walking down the street because they seem suspicious.
Mar 26, 2012, 9:25pm   #75
labelwhore04's Avatar
Member
Originally Posted by jillybean307
As are certain posters in this thread. A kid walking down the street carrying Skittles was shot and killed. It doesn't matter if he was 4'10 or 6'11 or 11 or 17 years old. It doesn't matter if he was black or white or wearing a hoodie or a 3 piece suit. The "justifications" given in this thread are akin to saying that a woman deserves to be raped if she wears a skirt.

My jackass neighbors were out at 3am on Saturday night screaming so loudly that it woke me from a dead sleep & honestly made me think someone was breaking into my house. That doesn't give me the right to shoot them just because I was afraid.

You don't get to just shoot people walking down the street because they seem suspicious.





On another note, i seriously don't understand why anyone is allowed to buy and own a gun in the states. You rarely hear about these stories here in Canada because nobody owns a gun in the first place. It's ridiculous. There's no reason for everyday people to be toting guns around.
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Up to the Minute... True Crime Stories  
TOP

Thread Tools