Home The Playground Up to the Minute... True Crime Stories

Mass shooting after Batman midnight showing in colorado

POST A REPLY

Jul 24, 2012, 7:39am   #151
Where your BOSS at ?
Originally Posted by Echoes
Did ABC News screw up?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/alleged-col...2#.UA59sqKDpRI
No they didn't screw up. Her lawyer is doing damage control. He asked was there a recording so he could reword what she said. If there was a recording we would have to own up to what she said
Jul 24, 2012, 7:57am   #152
I'm not so sure about that. There have been a few incidents recently where news producers have selectively edited what someone said to enhance the shock value.
Jul 24, 2012, 8:04am   #153
Shub Niggurath
Originally Posted by Jesssh
Another expert on CNN yesterday speculated that the guy may have schizophrenia, which is usually diagnosed between the ages of 18 and 25. I didn't buy it, until I started remembering movies like Sybil and A Beautiful Mind (not sure what those disorders were).

The coverage on the university implied that the PhD candidates were monitored closely, yet the officials had very little to say to the media about the gunman. They said the victims will find out information in court.

It still looked like a bad acting job in the courtroom yesterday (to me), but who knows.

Now I kind of hope he is mentally ill, because it takes away a lot of the fear and hate. I hope the university has some of the answers.

Could be a very messy trial if they have to teach the jury about mental illness.
He is deserving of the hate. Contrary to what a lot of people think, hatred has a place in the human make-up for a reason.

I think he did the whole thing for fame. He didn't appear to have a political motive, as Anders Breivik did. Nor did he have any intention of dying in the chaos, either as a result of his own gun or in a shootout with police, as is usual with apolitical rage-filled gunmen. The whole thing being so gimmicky (the Joker persona and so on) further strengthens my conviction of this. Of course he has to play the insanity card because he has no other defense open to him.

It is becoming more common for people to commit atrocities for fame. The Canadian guy sending body parts through the mail is a case in point. In the past, killers like Ted Bundy would do everything to avoid capture. Nowadays, capture is part of the plan. It's necessary for the fame they seek.

What this guy failed to understand is that it is the media, not the killers themselves, who determine who gets remembered. He's just an insignificant worm who will fade from public memory. At least he can put his medical knowledge to good use after he loses his butt-virginity in the prison showers.
Jul 24, 2012, 8:12am   #154
Quote:
I think he did the whole thing for fame.
I'm not sure about that. We'll probably never know why he acted though.

As to your last (inappropriate) comment, he'll never be in general population. He'll be in some form of isolation either in a Psychiatric hospital or something like where Charles Manson is.
Jul 24, 2012, 9:44am   #155
If both sides are smart, they'll work out some kind of a plea deal where he's out of circulation for life and eliminate the need for a long, expensive trial. The taxpayers don't need that expense, and we don't need to feed the media whores.
I agree with you but the taxpayer will still be supporting his solitary confinement for decades. I understand that it's our justice system but I hate that he will be living better, though confined, than many people who never did anythng wrong and happen to be poor. It's just hard to accept.
Jul 24, 2012, 9:51am   #156
Word coming out about another heavily armed gunman who claims to have attended the same movie at a theater in Maine.
Jul 24, 2012, 12:50pm   #157
Nasty Bish
I think this is the same story, Echoes, but there was a guy arrested in Maine with a backpack full of guns.

http://perezhilton.com/2012-07-24-co...s#.UA7gX2GvKSo

When questioned, he admitted he was going to shoot a former employer in New Hampshire.
Jul 24, 2012, 1:54pm   #158
tPF addict
Originally Posted by Jesssh
Another expert on CNN yesterday speculated that the guy may have schizophrenia, which is usually diagnosed between the ages of 18 and 25. I didn't buy it, until I started remembering movies like Sybil and A Beautiful Mind (not sure what those disorders were).

The coverage on the university implied that the PhD candidates were monitored closely, yet the officials had very little to say to the media about the gunman. They said the victims will find out information in court.

It still looked like a bad acting job in the courtroom yesterday (to me), but who knows.

Now I kind of hope he is mentally ill, because it takes away a lot of the fear and hate. I hope the university has some of the answers.

Could be a very messy trial if they have to teach the jury about mental illness.
Schizophrenics are not usually violent. Labeling this guy as "mentally ill" or schizophrenic does a disservice to all truly mentally ill people. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy is an otherwise healthy sociopath with a sprinkle of narcissistic personality disorder mixed in.

Off topic, but there was a running joke in my med school class that the best way to kill someone would be to fake a psychotic break around the time of the murder. If this fact wasn't lost on regular medical students, then an aspiring PhD in Neuroscience would have certainly understood this as well. You fake a psychotic break with erratic behavior, commit your crime, convince everyone that it was motivated by an underlying psychiatric illness, and live the rest of your life in something more comfortable than a maximum security prison. As I posted earlier, his court act look contrived and inauthentic to me. I've seen and worked with a lot of schizophrenics and I have never seen that sort of regular irregular behavior, if that makes sense. Maybe this guy needed more clinical experience to make his act more believable; I'm not buying it. I hope he rots in obscurity in prison while getting tortured regularly.
Jul 24, 2012, 2:55pm   #159
Where your BOSS at ?
I'm not so sure about that. There have been a few incidents recently where news producers have selectively edited what someone said to enhance the shock value.
That's true , but because the lawyer asked was it recorded and then a whole different statement is released leads me to be they were covering her tracks
Jul 24, 2012, 5:27pm   #160
Christian Bale in town right now visiting victims' families and injured in the hospital.

Name:  image-1738286002.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  123.6 KB

Name:  image-269423630.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  199.2 KB

http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=16848054
Last edited Jul 24, 2012 at 5:43pm.
Jul 24, 2012, 6:02pm   #161
See my vest!
^That's very cool of him. :)
Jul 24, 2012, 6:20pm   #162
2 Loves:Lola & Loki
Originally Posted by ellief
Christian Bale in town right now visiting victims' families and injured in the hospital.

Attachment 1806590

Attachment 1806591

Originally Posted by .:Sprigged:.
^That's very cool of him. :)

Yep..it is! I was just coming to post this lol.
Jul 24, 2012, 6:24pm   #163
See my vest!
I bet that totally made their day. It's nice to see such a kind gesture. I know people will say it's all PR, but I kind of doubt that.
Jul 24, 2012, 7:15pm   #164
Originally Posted by ellief

Attachment 1806590

Attachment 1806591

That is so awesome! What a great gesture!
Jul 24, 2012, 9:18pm   #165
Nasty Bish
So nice of him to do that.
POST A REPLY
  HOME The Playground Up to the Minute... True Crime Stories