Zoos: Approve of them, or not?

i'm a big fan of zoos and the work that they do, but i've only ever been to Zoo Atlanta, which is supposed to be excellent. i haven't been since we got the pandas, though, i wanna see the pandas!

I have been to the National Zoo many times in D.C. but never really *thought* about zoos until I took Anthropology last semester. We took a field trip to the National Zoo and I know it's a well kept zoo but really, some of the cages seemed a little small. Also, I didn't like how many of the primates' cages had concrete floor because that is obviously not like their natural habitats. My Anthro teacher has been to Asia a couple of times and she told us about one zoo she went to (I'm not sure which country!) and how the place was just dirty and people were yelling at the animals, throwing things at them, etc. That just made my heart sink because animals definitely shouldn't be treated like that. I'm thankful that we have many regulations here in the U.S. and likewise in many countries!

So, basically I don't totally approve of zoos. Of course I love seeing the animals and it would be impossible to see such a variety of species in one area but I wish that there was a way to make the animals feel more at home, I guess.

p.s. I never knew that Golden Headed Lion Tamarins were nearly extinct at some point...there are quite a few at the National Zoo! They're so cute!

I am all for zoos!!!

Zoo is actually one important part of my childhood memories, my dad used to take my brother and I at least twice a month to the zoo in Taipei, where I grew up from. To a girl that grew up in the city, it absolutely put me in perspective of how nature has an impact in our lives and vice versa. I was taught to be loving to all living creatures and to learn from the team spirit of animals.
ooh so many memories..:amuse:

I love the movie "two brothers," that was about two tiger cubs growing up in different destiny.. very well made if you guys are interested

Mariah said:
I have been to the National Zoo many times in D.C. but never really *thought* about zoos until I took Anthropology last semester. We took a field trip to the National Zoo and I know it's a well kept zoo but really, some of the cages seemed a little small. Also, I didn't like how many of the primates' cages had concrete floor because that is obviously not like their natural habitats. My Anthro teacher has been to Asia a couple of times and she told us about one zoo she went to (I'm not sure which country!) and how the place was just dirty and people were yelling at the animals, throwing things at them, etc. That just made my heart sink because animals definitely shouldn't be treated like that. I'm thankful that we have many regulations here in the U.S. and likewise in many countries!

So, basically I don't totally approve of zoos. Of course I love seeing the animals and it would be impossible to see such a variety of species in one area but I wish that there was a way to make the animals feel more at home, I guess.

p.s. I never knew that Golden Headed Lion Tamarins were nearly extinct at some point...there are quite a few at the National Zoo! They're so cute!
yes, the tamarins at the national zoo are also part of the ssp program. and I believe the goal of all modern day keepers and curators is to improve all captive facilities. takes a lot of time, money and education. now if we can only get some of the public to stop yelling at the animals! (I tell school kids that yelling at them is equivalent of me standing in front of their house and screaming at the top of my lungs)

Reactions: Perja
bagnshoofetish, you do an awesome job.

I agree with zoos, as long as they don't turn out to be horrible like the Russian zoo that made news a few years back because of the terrible conditions the animals were kept in.

When I visited Australia, I was very impressed with the Melbourne zoo, the animals seemed very comfortable and you were reminded that you were actually a visitor in their home, not just a paying customer of the zoo.

Yep, love the zoo! Singapore has a fantastic night safari where you can see lions actually moving (opposed to sleeping all day). There are some amazing wildlife parks in Australia where you can feed and pat kangaroos, koala's, etc.

Mariah said:
My Anthro teacher has been to Asia a couple of times and she told us about one zoo she went to (I'm not sure which country!) and how the place was just dirty and people were yelling at the animals, throwing things at them, etc. That just made my heart sink because animals definitely shouldn't be treated like that. I'm thankful that we have many regulations here in the U.S. and likewise in many countries!

I, too, have been in a zoo in Asia (mainland China, actually). My sister and I were so disturbed by what we saw that we didn't stay more than a few minutes. We ran out crying -- literally. Everything was bare concrete and dirty. We saw a group of regular household/pet dogs in an exhibit; one of them was so unhappy he was gnawing his own leg off. That, however, was 13+ years ago and I believe from recent news articles that things are changing now. God, I hope so.

Perja said:
bagnshoofetish, you do an awesome job.

I agree with zoos, as long as they don't turn out to be horrible like the Russian zoo that made news a few years back because of the terrible conditions the animals were kept in.

When I visited Australia, I was very impressed with the Melbourne zoo, the animals seemed very comfortable and you were reminded that you were actually a visitor in their home, not just a paying customer of the zoo.
thanks! It breaks my heart when I read about zoos overseas (and even some here) that have horrible conditions. here in the US they usually get shut down PDQ but overseas where there are no regulations - the suffering goes on.
There are so many zoos I'd like to visit (Australia does have some awesome facilities) and so many reserve/conservation areas too. There are alot of very caring people out there, thank God!