ZALES and my horror story my engagement ring!!! a big warning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry this happened to you. I will make sure not to buy anything from Zales in the future.
I have never bought anything from them before due their rude service and lack of knowledge. I once tired to look at a ring guard/enhancer from them and the gentleman had no idea what a ring guard/enhancer is?!! He had to ask the manager and the manager explained it to me like I was an idoit? Hello, her SA doesnt know what it is, not me. I was the one that asked for this particular ITEM. Needless to say, I walked away.

I think it would be good to return the ring being it's defective and get a new one together with ur SO. Send cyber hugs to you.

All I can say is sorry, this is NOT a bad sign of your marriage or engagement, they just suck, what a bad CS and it does seem like they sell good quality diamonds. I havent even taken mine to resize it because I am scared of something. But DH says mine has a serial number inside the diamond so jewelers dont get confuse and switch it but still.

i'm sorry this happened to you. it's not a bad sign, it's just that zales has bad quality. i've never bought jewellery from them, but from all the posts it seems to be a store to avoid.

and the other post about the diamonds getting switched, that's so scary. that's another reason i only get jewellery cleaned or resized at my mother's jeweller (the owner has become a friend of my mom's:tup:)...unless it's resized by the original store where i bought it from.

i agree with crylater3, the jeweller i know also said that there's a serial number inside each diamond. apparently it'll tell the origin of the diamond, etc.

Oh my god, what horror stories! It sounds like the problem with the OP's ring is basically a design flaw, the setting is inadequate, could be pressure points or something else. I didn't get my ring from a chain, it was a single store. I've had my set for 21 years, and in the beginning I kept knocking the main stone loose because it was a marquise with only two prongs. After the third time, they added two more prongs and it's been fine. I did lose a small stone, which they replaced. Generally speaking, mall jewelry stores have substandard quality, in settings and stones. If I were getting engaged again, I would get my ring at Costco, some of those rings will make your eyes pop!

I hope your new set works for you.

This is a really awful story. I guess there must be something wrong with the whole setting, since you got a second ring and the diamonds were still falling out. Every proffesional jeweler would just offer you a totally different setting if the chosen one was defective and I think that's the biggest problem here.
Hope everything turns out OK and this time the diamonds won't fall out.

Ok,I have read through your post a couple of times and it seems 'not fit for the purpose in which it was bought' this is from UK Trading Standards,so in effect they are selling faulty goods that are not meeting a specific purpose and not fullfulling the expectations of the customer. From what you've said,I take it that the ring has always gone back to them,so you have'nt compromised a 'warranty' angle they could throw at you.Which leaves you in a fantastically strong position!!!! They were obliged to fully check the ring and stone settings after re-sizing and tighten them up,as a company they are pretty stupid if the goldsmith did'nt do that.The length of the waiting times you have had to endure are just so far beyond appalling I am sat here shaking with anger at your predicament! From working in the trade for reputable jewellers,if this by some remote chance happened the first two times you would have waited 3 days,maximum,it would have gone through our workshops as an urgent priority,no question.THE third time we would have been sitting you and your partner down and discussing a completely new setting and shank(band) or if you preferred an entirely new ring,we would have bent over backwards and beyond to resolve this.We would then look at the ring with a veiw of pulling all stock of it and returning it to the supplier for a full refund and they pay any postage costs on top as well!!

I cannot belive the disgusting manner in which you have been treated,it shows how bothered they are by their subsequent treatment of you,and from reading other ladies posts it is just hearwrenching you have all been treated in this way over what should be counted as one of the most special moments in your life.

As for letting go the ring that your were proposed to with,do it,its not like you are changing your partner,you and him have gone through this together,and would you really want to wear a ring that you may always veiw as a bad omen,be constantly be checking to see if its ok? Get rid and start afresh with one you can both relax over and enjoy,and don't let this ring take away the original love that your partner proposed to you with. My darling,you have a wonderful partner who went to all that time and trouble,just for you,because he loves you and is saying he want's you forever,thats whats important.

Here's a couple of things I feel you should do,get in touch with your Trading Standards office,tell them everything,they will be totally on your side,thats their job and those people who choose to go into that career are usually very passionate about protecting the public,and will be keen to know whats gone on,even say to Zales that if the matter isn't resolved promtly you will let them intervene,as they really want to get involved to examine their trading practices!!!

Next if they start to get difficult,which by this point,if they are not complete idiots won't arise,tell them that you are going to put your story to the papers,and as its a big chain across the country it will have LOTS of public interest!!! And furthemore tell them you will post on a worldwide forum exactly how you have been treated from start to finish and metion how many WORLWIDE members there are that look at this site!!!

Arm yourself with the facts on the law from your TS office,get your partner completely up to speed with all the facts you discuss with them,go in on potentially their busiest day as a united front,tell them everything you want and how serious you are in a calm voice if they start being difficult raise your voice mentioning shoddy goods,the most terrible service you have ever come across,take your mum and dad,and his too and let Zales know how many people have been upset by this and any customers who are in there too!!!
If you still have the ring that is,if not hopefully someone else will get something out of this post.

And I would finally like to add how deeply sorry I am that this has happened
to you,its a horrible situation by no fault of your own you have both been dragged into and had to endure the very worst experience you both could have had over something as wonderful as getting engaged,my heart goes out to both of you.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This is awful! I feel so sorry for you and your fiance, it is obvious that Zales is at fault and they have treated you very poor. My advice to you is to go to this website (www.rateitall.com) and report your story there. This is a wonderful place where people report on the good and bad of anything and everything.

Wow, thats aweful customer service.. not too mention there obviously selling a faulty product. I feel your pain... this should be one of the most exciting experiences ever~! At this point.. i agree w/ what the others have said.. return the ring.. and try to get some recourse out of it. It has caused you more pain and heartache, than joy. And after a whole month or more trying to get it repaired.. the future life span of your e-ring is questionable.

It sounds like your in the soCal area.. I've personally had great experience with Robbins Bros. & I believe they also have a Burbank location. Best of luck to you...:tup:.. keep us updated.

i second the costco recommendation, my dad buys my mom diamonds from costco (and he can shop anywhere he wants!)

he likes that they can be easily returned if my mom doesn't like it...and no hassle from jeweler

i'd still take this up with Zales, do whatever you can

this is not a bad sign, in fact... it is a problem you are working on together, which is what marriage is all about!

congrats on the engagement!

Incredible story.....so sorry for your experience with Zales.
Being sold a crappy ring is no way related to bad luck in your future marriage, so don't even entertain that idea....

I hope you can get a 100% refund, and find a ring you BOTH can choose froma reputable jeweler.....and thanks for the warning about Zales.

BTW, if it were me, I would ask for a 100% refund. Hopefully you documented everything, with receipts, etc. work orders, etc....
if they refuse the refund, find a good attorney. You deserve better.

Was reading thru the posts...something to be aware of re diamonds being swapped for cz. Every diamond isn't laser inscribed on the girdle with a GIA/EGL cert. All diamonds are not certified. As a safeguard, always purchase one that is, and ask the jeweler to give you a loupe to keep. If you ever take it anywhere to be serviced, double check for the cert inscription before you walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.